• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I want to try out T-mobile network, but questions

I use Spare Phone app and I get better results than Talkatone or GrooveIP. Especially on LTE. I installed Viber on my wife's and my phone so we talk on Wifi or on LTE and that is even better. For the record, my TMobile number is not given out and I rarely use more than 5 minutes a month on the 100 minute/month plan

Upvote 0
Great thread! :)
Just got a Moto G and thinking about trying out T-Mo. Looked on their website and saw nothing about the $30/month plan. Is that something you have to ask about/it's only for new customers? Only problem with the Moto G is I won't be able to test their LTE network, but I've seen speed tests of it and compared to what VZW is down to now, it should be fine.

Upvote 0
Just got a Moto G and thinking about trying out T-Mo. Looked on their website and saw nothing about the $30/month plan. Is that something you have to ask about/it's only for new customers? Only problem with the Moto G is I won't be able to test their LTE network, but I've seen speed tests of it and compared to what VZW is down to now, it should be fine.

The 30 dollar plan isn't advertised and is only viewable on their prepaid website and is only available for new activations online only or by buying a prepaid phone at Walmart that comes bundled with the plan. If you ask store reps, they're usually clueless about the plans existence and most phones reps are as well.

Upvote 0
The 30 dollar plan isn't advertised and is only viewable on their prepaid website and is only available for new activations online only or by buying a prepaid phone at Walmart that comes bundled with the plan. If you ask store reps, they're usually clueless about the plans existence and most phones reps are as well.

Also the $30 plan can only use certain phones. I tried to buy my Note 3 outright and then get the $30 plan and the rep said I couldn't. He said the most advanced phone I could get would be the samsung galaxy s3.

with my note 3, I had to go with the normal $50 plan. Wanted the $30 plan because I wouldn't need more than 1000 talk minutes. Unlimited talk is a total waste for me.

But afterwards I found out about their work discount program (which isn't widely advertised also). T-Mobile Advantage. Google it. Got 15% discount off my bill for signing up. What's stupid is it takes two months to process and see the discount on my bill.. but it changes your billing date also and that took effect instantly. So why does it take two months for the discount to take effect? I smell something sour here.

Upvote 0
Also the $30 plan can only use certain phones. I tried to buy my Note 3 outright and then get the $30 plan and the rep said I couldn't. He said the most advanced phone I could get would be the samsung galaxy s3.

with my note 3, I had to go with the normal $50 plan. Wanted the $30 plan because I wouldn't need more than 1000 talk minutes. Unlimited talk is a total waste for me.

The rep was clueless or lied to you. Any phone compatible with T-Mobile's network can use the plan as long as it isn't sim locked to another carrier. I'm using the plan on my Nexus 5 currently and originally registered for the plan with a Nexus 4 and just simply swapped transferred the sim.

Upvote 0
I've been using Tmo since this morning and the speeds are not bad. I can live without LTE. I've only been getting is 3G speeds and did see E, for Edge, for a short while. I haven't seen it get H yet.

Upvote 0
I've been using Tmo since this morning and the speeds are not bad. I can live without LTE. I've only been getting is 3G speeds and did see E, for Edge, for a short while. I haven't seen it get H yet.

You should see improvements in your area soon, they're always upgrading the network. My area was refarmed a few months back and now I have LTE as well as 3G! :)

If you go into the APN settings, set an apn to "fast.tmobile.com" you might get LTE!

Reactions: tube517 and saptech
Upvote 0
The Moto G doesn't have LTE network. Thanks for the info. Look like I'm only getting around 8mbps download speed. Shouldn't I be getting hspa+ or does it depend on the area? Is there something I can do to get faster speeds?
I think I mentioned this before, you are in the st louis mo area?

I dont think t mobile has very much AWS spectrum there so they are having trouble getting higher speed. I think for that area you may want to give att network a try and see if it is better.
You can get a straight talk att sim I think they are $10 but not sure + $45 for service and try it for 1 month.

Reactions: saptech
Upvote 0
The Moto G doesn't have LTE network. Thanks for the info. Look like I'm only getting around 8mbps download speed. Shouldn't I be getting hspa+ or does it depend on the area? Is there something I can do to get faster speeds?

The Asop display h+ for what it really is.. 3g so you are getting h speeds mind you H+21

Reactions: saptech
Upvote 0
Can anyone tell me how T Mobile coverage is in Vegas? Specifically on the strip. I'm planning on switching from Sprint but I'm going to be in Vegas next month & need to make sure I'll have coverage.

A person who is at CES has done speed tests while he is there. His initial post, from the south end of the strip, showed 23.61 Mbps down, 12.77 up.

If you keep going, he has done more speed tests at various events. At times you can see the speeds suffer from being indoors and, likely, the number of phones competing to use the network. Still, for the conditions has seemed quite good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones