• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I want to try out T-mobile network, but questions

Rxpert83

Dr. Feelgood
Aug 30, 2011
MN
T-mobiles chat support is clueless to any of this, so I'll ask you T-mobile experts. :D

Background info:

I'm currently on the Sprint network but am interested in switching to T-mobile. I want to test the network to determine if its good in my city. I currently own a nexus 5 purchased from the play store, so I can take it to whatever compatible network i please.

The hangup though is that I'll be under contract for another few months with Sprint.

I've got a T-mobile pre-paid SIM.....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q's:

Can I activate the T-mobile SIM on either their $30/mo plan or their pay by the day plans, test out their network as I see fit, and switch between networks on the go just by swapping SIMs and rebooting?

Will it affect my Sprint account in any way? (I won't port the number or anything like that)

You should be able to do just that, but a word of caution about the $30 dollar plan. It's only for new activations. So if you go the pay by the day route, decide you like T-Mobile and switch to them, you'll need a new sim card to on which to activate the $30 dollar plan on.

Good info. :thumbup:

I guess its a good thing I ordered 2 when I used the free pre-paid deal

If i go the $30/month plan from the git go- I can stop using it for a few months after the test and pick back up if I decide I like it? I assume thats how pre-paid works :thinking:

Upvote 0
Good info. :thumbup:

I guess its a good thing I ordered 2 when I used the free pre-paid deal

If i go the $30/month plan from the git go- I can stop using it for a few months after the test and pick back up if I decide I like it? I assume thats how pre-paid works :thinking:

Correct, I believe it can remain unfilled for 90 days (IIRC) before they deactivate the account. Filling it up starts another string of 90 I believe. Never tested it myself, but that's how I believe it is from reading the fine print.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Nice. I think I'll try the $30 plan then with 100 mins and unlimited data

Last question though... Wifi calling, what app do you use and what do you need to do to get it going? I have a google voice number, I assume it goes through that, but I've also seen people mention another app that goes along with it.

Upvote 0
Nice. I think I'll try the $30 plan then with 100 mins and unlimited data

Last question though... Wifi calling, what app do you use and what do you need to do to get it going? I have a google voice number, I assume it goes through that, but I've also seen people mention another app that goes along with it.

Google voice itself only acts as a call forwarding service for voice and a way to receive basic sms messages. Using another app such as GrooveIP or talkatone allows one to send our receive calls over wifi utilizing the Google voice number if configured correctly. It's how I do business. :D

It is important to note that these apps will stop working on may 15th when they close the protocol that these apps use to enable voip. However it is expected that near our before that date that gvoice will be fully integrated into hangouts like it already is on iOS.

Upvote 0
Good questions and answers. I should have ordered 2 Sims, daggit. Now my old plan ends Dec. 8 but I won't get my new phone until sometime after that.

I can keep using old plan/phone, then when I get new phone with T-mobile, can I port my number once I start using the Sim?

Do tmo give you a phone number with the Sims or how does that work? But I want to port my current number once I receive the new phone.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
one thing to note the pay by the day is way more expensive in the long run then any of the monthly plans.

I can also tell you t mobile's network in upper midwest is dismal. You will be fine around the twin cities but getting out into the sticks you will be lucky to keep any signal.

I hate to say this but any company with att network may be better if you do any traveling.

Upvote 0
one thing to note the pay by the day is way more expensive in the long run then any of the monthly plans.

I can also tell you t mobile's network in upper midwest is dismal. You will be fine around the twin cities but getting out into the sticks you will be lucky to keep any signal.

I hate to say this but any company with att network may be better if you do any traveling.

This is why I wish AT&T offered pay by the day plans for smartphones. Their only options are dumbphones only for PBTD. :mad: Though I will say that T-Mobile has gotten a lot better with blanketing the major interstates with at least strong 2G coverage.

Upvote 0
Lost track of this thread till now :thumbdown::eek:
Rxpert its about time!

Anyways do you know anyone with tmobile in the area? Maybe they can share their experiences with you :D
I think the big boss has it, because he uses WiFi calling all the time, but I'm not on that level quite yet ;)

The pay by the day would just be for testing out the network to see if its for me. I'd move plans after that. :thumbup:

I don't have a car, so I'm about as stuck in the twin cities as you can be. Take public transport everywhere

Im familiar with it,but wouldn't rely on that alone to make a decision about carriers :eek:

Upvote 0
Lost track of this thread till now :thumbdown::eek:
I think the big boss has it, because he uses WiFi calling all the time, but I'm not on that level quite yet ;)

The pay by the day would just be for testing out the network to see if its for me. I'd move plans after that. :thumbup:

I don't have a car, so I'm about as stuck in the twin cities as you can be. Take public transport everywhere

Im familiar with it,but wouldn't rely on that alone to make a decision about carriers :eek:
Sounds like your going to be fine then, and believe me I am glad for you I love t mobiles LTE I have messed around with At&t's and it may have more land area coverage but its slower and possibly not as good of latency. I dont recall for sure if it had sub 50ms times.:p

Upvote 0
Well, I got everything all setup tonight.

Merged my Google Voice number with my sprint number and now all calls that would be going to my sprint phone ring me whether I've got my T-mobile or Sprint SIM in the phone,.

Download speeds are holding steady around 25+ on LTE and needless to say thats way better than my Sprint speeds. Ping was around 53ms

Back to VoIP calling, I assume that only works for outbound calls? I'm using grooveIP lite

Upvote 0
Have you completely switched or are you in the testing phase with the day to day plan?

I'm on the $30 plan. But it'll just be for a month. Im still activated on the Sprint network, and will be until the spring or summer. I made sure to order 2 sims so i can still get the 30/mo deal when my contract comes up. I've currently got my sprint SIM scotched taped to the back of my phone inside the case. :rofl:

WiFi calling is hit or miss. Probably due to my crappy wifi speeds. I'll be interested to see how it performs on campus tomorrow. People were complaining about a delay and sometimes I'd get really scratchy audio on my end.

Upvote 0
I'm on the $30 plan. But it'll just be for a month. Im still activated on the Sprint network, and will be until the spring or summer. I made sure to order 2 sims so i can still get the 30/mo deal when my contract comes up. I've currently got my sprint SIM scotched taped to the back of my phone inside the case. :rofl:

WiFi calling is hit or miss. Probably due to my crappy wifi speeds. I'll be interested to see how it performs on campus tomorrow. People were complaining about a delay and sometimes I'd get really scratchy audio on my end.

Is that delay on the GrooveIP app/Google Voice or on your "actual" phone number with T-Mobile?

Upvote 0
Only when using groove ip. No qualms with tmobiles actual service
From my understanding that might be a grooveip problem. The actual VOIP set up is the really hard part I found. I read about setting up a server then using a better compression and having perfect calls but it is a daunting task and if your not very familer with linux not an easy thing.

Upvote 0
Agreed. I'm not blaming the WiFi calling issues on T-Mobile. That's gotta be either on my home wifi connection speeds or grooveip.

I wouldn't be able to setup a server, but I can vary connection speeds and different services to get to the bottom of it
The process is straight forward, and it uses amazon servers, which are free, or were I should say I have not checked for a while. You are supposed to get perfect calls on any network, well edge might be iffy but people have said they can clearly make and receive wifi calls on a connection that is only 1-3 mb down and .5mbs up. so even 3g.

If your interested I will link you the instructions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones