1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I was slow to catch on but Swype is AWESOME!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ridgerunner665, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Well-Known Member

Now I can text as fast as a teenager...I usually use the voice to text, but after playing with it long enough to get the hang of it Swype is pretty darn neat.

Way faster than typing for me and my oversize thumbs...now maybe I can stop making so many 5 word posts...LOL.

PeninaD likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sleedeane

sleedeane Android Expert

Same here. I had to make myself like it long enough to learn it. Now I love it.
    People that say they hate it just haven't tried it long enough to learn it, I think.
    I prefer it over talk-to-text as I want to type over 100 words/minute some day as opposed to the old way I typed, which was hunt-n-peck, about 20 words a minute.
    In about 6 months of swyping now, I can type up to about 75 average words a minute
    on a good day.
    (I'll bet this post took me less than 2 minutes to swype)

3. Fred Bassett

Fred Bassett Member

I have Swype and Flex T9. Flex is better at getting the words right is my prefered one

4. javasirc

javasirc Well-Known Member

I started using default swipe android came with 2 days ago, so I tried a bunch of alternate keyboards to experiment with other ways of typing.

I tried 8pen, which claims to be very fast. Its like the keyboard version of an old rotary phone. I don't see how it can type faster than Swype. Or faster than standard typing for that matter.

I also tried Tio keyboard as well. Its a shrunk down version of a qwerty keyboard, but it relies on prediction and spell check because it has so few keys, so some words you just can't get right without going back to edit.

So far TouchPal is my favorite, but its so buggy when editing text, its too frustrating to use.

I'm using default Swype that Android came with right now, and I'm able to edit with least amount of problems.

Sometimes I'll use voice input if I want to "type" really fast. I'm amazed by how accurate voice to text is. Even if I mumble quietly it usually gets it right. It would be nice to automatically use a capital letter at the beginning of a sentence though.

5. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Android Expert

I switched to slide it. I like it better and I get better battery life with it

6. PeninaD

PeninaD Member

Swype takes time to learn.... I still suck, but find it is the one I like best.... hey, it took me failing typing twice in HS, and another 15 years of using keyboards daily until I realised that I was finally typing without looking at my hands. So I figure I have to give myself a LOT of extra time!

7. tbhausen

tbhausen Android Enthusiast

For me, it was "love at first Swype" :D

8. Markus729

Markus729 Android Enthusiast

I decided to try it tonight. Im amazed at how cool it is! I may not go back, but it's nice to be able to type letter by letter on the same keyboard if I need to. But I'm really liking it. The only thing I'm having trouble with is the fact that the 'old' way seems better because you use both thumbs and split the keyboard in half, while with Swype, you use one finger and need to go back and forth over the whole keyboard and I sometimes can't see all the letters. That said, it really is very forgiving and does a great job of predicting.

9. jroc

jroc Android Expert

Yea...I absolutely love Swype. Kids mother does too. I have tried others similar, even have a Rezound that has a trace feature on its phone.

It doesnt even begin to compare to Swype. I think Swype would be my 1st thing to install on any Android phone I get if I can.

Like with most things....adjust some settings in Swype and it might work better for some that have issues with it. Like I turned off suggest words during typing. It works alot better for me that way. Showing me the words after I finish typing just feels better for me. Update the dictionary any chance I can remember. I wish Swype was a lil easier to get for more Android phones.

10. Barkleyfan

Barkleyfan Well-Known Member

Swype is favorite, even tho Flex tends to be more accurate. Flex sucks at editing.

11. mauiblue

mauiblue Android Enthusiast

I like Swype on my HTC Droid Incredible and was happy to see it an OEM app on the Razr Maxx. But I must admit, I've been using SwiftKey a bit more with Smart Keyboard close behind.

12. georgek99

georgek99 Newbie

I've also been using Swype for quite a while and really like it.

Just wondering if anyone has been able to add languages to the OEM install. I correspond with folks internationally and would like to be able to use the correct language font.

George

13. Picaso86

Picaso86 Member

Does anybody know it a way around to installed the Beta Swype version from their website instead of the Razr stock?

14. j13smiley

j13smiley Well-Known Member

another slide it fan here...

15. Fred Bassett

Fred Bassett Member

Flex is way more accurate so you don't need to edit

16. arparaspolo

arparaspolo Android Enthusiast

I use Keyboard Manager app. I set it to use Swype in portrait and Multi touch in landscape. I wish you could type a word and delete it from the swype or Multi's dictionary. Every time I want to spell maybe, it spells mauve. When the hell will I ever use Mauve. Except in this paragraph. Give me the option to remove it from the phone.

17. sleedeane

sleedeane Android Expert

All I know, is that you can manage dictionary (reset, add/delete words, etc) in settings>keyboard>swype settings, for the stock swype that came with (my) phone. 'Cause I hate words like "Mauve".

18. cdf3

cdf3 Well-Known Member

You can see if the word was added to the custom dictionary in Swype, then try to remove it from the list.
    The only option for the Multi Touch keyboard is to clear all saved words.

19. Kreichs

Kreichs Lurker

Swype is good, especially since it has more characters by long pressing letters. Everyone here should try Swiftkey X. IT has a 1 month free trial, don't know if I would actaully pay for it though. But it learns from your typing habits and it has been guessing words before I even type them, it's crazy!

20. Markus729

Markus729 Android Enthusiast

As I've said before, I'm catching on to Swype, and also like the long press option for character options (HTC had it that way). But, I'm still not 100% sold, because I seem to have to 'plan' my letter-swyping route before I type, because when I use my finger or thumb, it covers many of the keys and if I'm off in direction, I correct, then my swype path is off. I'll learn it but it bugs me.

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews