1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General I will never buy another Android device that isn't a nexus!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sean76, Jan 8, 2013.

1. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC
    Yup...that's right, I said it! I will never spend another penny on an Android device that isn't a nexus and running a stock version of Android.

I Friggin love this phone! Yes it has it's down falls like not having LTE or the best camera available on a mobile device today, but those are honestly the only 2 gigantic things I can complain about. Other then that the thing is spot on IMO. The software is just plain amazing and buttery smooth, the hardware to me is plain awesome, and to be 100% honest its probably my favorite Android device ever!

My battery the last 2 weeks has been lasting anywhere from 12-15 hours depending on my usage for the day, which is more then I can ask for as I do use my phone alot. The screen just blows me away every time I turn the phone on, and honestly besides the LTE and camera thing, the only thing I could complain about would be I've been seeing alot of dropped calls...but that's a carrier issue, not really a phone issue.

With all that said, I've pretty much drawn my line in the sand and am 100% saying I will be rocking a Vanilla running nexus device for as long as I'm using Android.

Advertisement

msndrstood and Thats like this.
  2. NeXuS4

NeXuS4 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 25, 2012
    My name is NeXuS4 and I approve this endorsement.

To be honest I can't get enough of these threads. This thing is completely beastly in everyway but when I think about it i almost feel like Google made a limited number of these things on purpose because it's supposed to be limited edition. I'm going off on a limb here and saying that if you think about it this phone is almost too good!

I mean if the general public got ahold of this thing I mean REALLY got this thing (like the iPhone) then think about what that would do to the other OEMs that aren't Samsung and LG?

HTC, Motorola, ZTE and others would either (a) Be obliterated to put it bluntly
    (b) Die a slow painful death as they are forced to compete on cost effectiveness and price and eventually even Samsung and LG themselves could eat the consequences of a market where the high end Android class is dominated by this piece of near technological perfection.

I could be way off base here but could it be possible Google conspired with the OEMs to throttle this devices entry into the market?

Like I said I clearly have no basis or evidence of this but it would make sense (at least to me for what that's worth)

In conclusion to paraphrase a movie: " It's not the business decision the consumer's want but it's the decision consumer's deserve."

(I would like to conclude this post by saying I have the flu and am taking regular doses of Mucinex Fast Act (the one with acetaminophen) and cannot be held responsible for the crazy stuff I post for the next day or so XD)

3. Banished Angel

Banished Angel Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 12, 2012
    IN, USA
    Well said. I used to always root and install Cyanogenmod on all my phones. That being said I'm still rooted and running CM10.1 on the Nexus 4, but I still love stock Android. Honestly there aren't a whole lot of reasons to run a custom OS anymore. There are some mad props to Google in order. Android 4.2 finally feels like a.. well, success. This is by far the best phone i've ever owned.

4. GalaxyNexus

GalaxyNexus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 12, 2011
    Male
    LifeGuard, Weight Lifter
    Bikini Bottom
    That's a really big statement for an Android guy like you, Sean76. If I remember correctly, you have owned every Android smartphone known to mankind.

I for one, absolutely love Nexus devices. My first smartphone was a "hand me down" HTC Incredible, I then upgraded to the VZW GNex, which I then dumped for the Nexus 4 on TMo. I for one am ready to go all GSM and never go back to contract plans, unless of course, Google starts their own carrier service :p .

However, the only thing that could really sway me are the major Sammy flagship devices coming out soon. IDK what I would use the S Pen for, but it's just plain cool. If the rumors are true, and Sammy is releasing the S4 with a flexible display, (another thing I don't need but is just plain cool) 1080p screen, 4.99" display, S Pen, Quad Core, GG 3, and an LTE GSM variant. Then I may have to at least check it out in stores.

EDIT:

Just reread this and realizes it sounds like I'm kind've putting down the N4. I am not trolling or putting down the N4. I love it just as much as you all do. The dev support, updates from Google, and low price just can't be matched by anyone.

5. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

True Story man...I've been through just about every Android phone known to man on VZW, at&t, and Sprint!

And I have to say that this phone gets my nod for all around best! Others have had that title like the original Droid Incredible (still love) and more recently the GS3. However none of them combine the hardware and more importantly the software marriage that the nexus 4 has going for it, its not even close when talking about software.

I'm still full fledged into seeing what's on the horizon, I just don't think I would be able to use anything other then straight Vanilla Android from here on out. I used my dads Droid Razr Maxx for a little bit today and just couldn't believe what a difference stock makes compared to a skin, which Motorola has been good at hiding lately. But its just nowhere near the smoothness as a vanilla running nexus. I'm sold! The only other phone I'm peeping is running a whole other OS, and that's a Blackberry running BlackBerry 10! That will most likely take the place as my business device, and second line while my nexus will be solely for personal use.

6. yfan

yfan Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    I think I am set with my Nexus 4 for at least the next year, maybe even two. I owned a Galaxy Nexus before, which was a great phone, but Nexus 4 sold me on HSPA+ 42 connectivity and the improved processor and camera. I really am no longer looking at other devices to buy though. I have this phone, I have T-mobile's $30/month, 5 gb plan, and I have Talkatone to use with Google Voice (also, I use Vonage mobile to make calls sometimes) - which basically gives me unlimited minutes over mobile and/or WiFi data.

This phone is my go-to device. I wake up in the morning and read my news, watch news videos and check my emails on my Nexus 4. I play podcasts or music from it in my car. I actually prefer using this phone for Facebook, Twitter and Google plus than my desktop. I take it to the gym and either listen to music or watch podcast videos while I work out.

I plain love my Nexus 4.

7. Sdahe

Sdahe Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 5, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    I also own a Nexus 4 and I love it... Is the best Android phone I've ever had. I changed from the iPhone 4S to a Galaxy S3 and to a Nexus 4... And thats where Im going to stay. The Nexus 4 is the best. :)

8. Skyroket

Skyroket Android Enthusiast
    None

May 25, 2012
    At least somebody got it... Damn! Why so slow with supplies... I want pure android with a good looking hardware! This plastic makes gnex look like a cheapo... No seriously!

9. annebrooks64

annebrooks64 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 22, 2012
    I have a nexus 4 and a note 2. For me both of them are superb phones, each have their good and bad points. For example the nexus 4 picks up a way better signal but battery life seems better on the note 2. I alternate between the two.

10. mm43

mm43 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    I have the nexus 4 and nexus 7 tablet
    I love them both especially the tablet it is so fast.;)

11. MT Rotor

MT Rotor Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    I'm gonna buy a galaxy s3 when they get cheaper for a backup phone, maybe Frankenstein it...

12. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)
    None

Mar 17, 2010
    Male
    Northern VA, USA
    I wish I could love an N4... but I can't get one. ;) Instead I bought a Nexus 7 and will keep using my Nexus One as a phone only until it becomes easy to get an N4 from Google.

However, I am absolutely a Nexus guy. Contracts are impractical for me and I really love Vanilla Android. I will always have a Nexus. :)

My Nexus 7 arrives today or tomorrow. :D

Rxpert83 likes this.
  13. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    You'll love it. Hopefully ill see ya over in that area of the forums ;)

14. NeXuS4

NeXuS4 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 25, 2012
    To be honest sometimes I feel like I won the lottery getting this phone at all.

15. OhSeven

OhSeven Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    I'm happy to have my Nexus 4 after 2 years of the crappy LG Vortex. But maybe it was too easy for me to get it, I don't have this feeling of being lucky. I just heard they were available in Nov and placed my order. Are there any estimates on the number of people ready to purchase but unable to?

16. andrews317

andrews317 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Honduras
    I don't think there's a way to find out, but I'm sure its a lot of people. Everytime the N4 has been available to purchase the website crashes (happened to me on Nov. 27th). According to this: Nexus 4 User Decodes Serial Number, Says Only 400,000 Units Manufactured So Far - International Business Times only 400,000 people have been lucky.

17. OhSeven

OhSeven Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Hmm yeah, I found some numbers for the GS3 which sold 20 million in the first 100 days, and the GS2 sold 5 million in the first 85 days. 400k units is nothing compared to the potential sales

18. MartinS

MartinS Android Expert
    None

I will most definitely stick with the Nexus line. I've had all 4 so far (Nexus One, S, GNex and 4) and in between a number of other devices (G1, iPhone 3g, HTC Hero, Desire HD, Sensation, One X, SGS2...) all bought when I got a bit bored with whatever it was I had last.

I know the G1 and Hero came before the Nexus One and they were great devices by the way.

Anyway, a lot of experience and money has taught me where my bread is buttered and that is with stock Android and nice clean updates. I don't have time or the patience to root and flashing and reinstalling apps and settings anymore (enjoyed it with the N1 mind - before you could do it in one click!) so this is the best way for me to get the latest software/experience.

I'm enjoying the N4 but can't wait for the next!

19. Thats

Thats That guy is This
    None

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    Air Force
    Fargo, ND
    My First Nexus was the Galaxy Nexus. From that point on I knew that I would ONLY be owning a Nexus device. Thus, here I am. Using the most beautiful display on a phone on the current market. I WAY prefer this over any Super AMOLED display. LG hit this phone out of the ballpark and past the water on the other side!!

20. lightsleeper23

lightsleeper23 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 18, 2011
    Male
    Salt Lake City
    I really cant wait until I can get one of these phones! I have a Nexus 7 and it is the best android device I have ever used or seen. I am so sick of throwing money away on sub par phones that will never be updated and rooting and flashing and dealing with all that nonsense. I will be sticking with nexus and vanila android as long as it is available.

21. karmamule

karmamule Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 21, 2009
    I ordered mine on December 14th and just got it today!! If I had read this thread before today I probably would have rolled my eyes, but now that I have mine... Damn this is a great phone!!!

I'm also very pleasantly surprised by t mobile's hspa+ speeds. I'm doing that fantastic $30/month plan and feel like I've stumbled on a magic combo of great device and super cheap monthly costs. Glad to be one of the lucky few to have this phone now!!

22. alc2077

alc2077 Lurker
    None

Apr 21, 2012
    Nexus all the way for me, I have had my N4 for a couple of months & I can honestly say it is the best Android phone I've owned even with some of its short comings like the battery. I have pretty much gotten the phone setup to my taste, my last phone was a S3 which in its own rights was a pretty darn good phone but you know what they say, once you go Nexus aint no going back :p:smokingsomb::p:smokingsomb:

23. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    California
    I'll probably be holding on my One X until later on this year.

24. realizm

realizm Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    This phone is the truth.
    I've been an Android lover since Eclair(remember REAL pull down toggles?!)and I've always been a fan of the raw Android experience. But I always had to root and flash a custom unofficial CM rom and not everything works on those. Then I held and played with a Galaxy Nexus. From that moment I decided I HAD to have a Nexus phone. I can never go back to a non-Nexus device after owning and loving my Nexus 4. It's almost too sexy to be a phone ffs!

25. jackdubl

jackdubl Android Expert
    None

May 18, 2010
    Topeka, KS
    I'd love to love a Nexus 4, except I've currently used 23 of the 32 gigs on my sd card and 22 of the 32 gigs of internal storage on my S3. So I guess the Nexus just wasn't designed for me.

Tags: