1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I will publish anyone's Chromecast app, gratis.

Discussion in 'Chromecast' started by primetech, Oct 5, 2014.

1. primetech

primetech Android Enthusiast

Pretty simply, after seeing the requirements and the limitations for normal html5 development on the Chromecast, and paying my $5 admission fee.... it's ridiculous.

So if anyone wants to jumpstart their development of an app for Android or Chrome and they already have a Receiver app hosted on an https site (apparently even Google Docs will do), I'll publish your app myself.

Here's a list of things I'd need to know for publishing a Receiver and Sender app. Message me there, or here, if you're interested. I try to keep my Hangouts invites visible.

Things to note:

In Chrome, both a Sender URL and a Receiver URL are required. The sender can be site specific (e.g. if your application is hosted at mysubdomain.site.com/folder/page.html, the sender URL will get shortened to mysubdomain.site.com.)

For the above reason, you can't send Web requests from locally hosted sites. Google needs direct access to them, so they forbid it.

The Receiver URL must be a single page, however. This is what gets displayed on the screen. Because of the restrictions of the Chromecast, even Google considers it safe to assume your content should be hosted in a single 1280x720 rectangle.

All Receiver URLs must go to an https site. There's a way to use Google Drive/Docs to house a Receiver via https. You'll probably have to search around the Chrome store for a reliable Google Drive html editor if you need to go this route, so I would recommend Drive only as a last resort.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Wouldn't doing that (publishing an app for someone else) cede control of that app's package name to the publishing developer?

Caveat emptor? (or a similar variant if you get what I mean)

El Presidente likes this.
  3. primetech

Only if publishing an Android app. Anybody can swap out URLs though for Chrome... Given the tortrous amount of effort that goes into developing a Chromecast side app, I'd recommend that first.

El Presidente and scary alien like this.
  4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Ah, thanks! :thumbup:

I haven't played with the Chromecast SDK yet, so I don't know about apps that run on the Chromecast device vs. Chromecast-enabled apps that run on our traditional (viewing) devices (which is what I was referring to re. control of the package name).

So, what is the benefit of having someone besides oneself publish a Chromecast app to the Play Store vs. ponying-up the $5 for the Chromecast developer credentials/console besides that nominal cost?

Thanks!

5. primetech

The biggest benefit is not having to spend the $5 upfront or worry about being in the right nation to deal with Google wallet issues. I was just genuinely disappointed with Google's limitations and pricing.