1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root I wish there were Dates for ROMS

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TommyDean, May 20, 2011.

1. TommyDean

TommyDean Lurker
    None

May 20, 2011
    Yes, I'm a newbie when it comes to rooting and roms.
    (ok, so i'm one that didn't want to void the warranty till the warranty was over)

However, after reading what I can, I wish I had done it a year ago.

Anyhow, I'm super annoyed with searching roms and not knowing when they came out, what's the most popular, what is good etc etc.

Mostly...what is current?!?!?!

I came across an article that said, "just type in google, the phone(droid) and rom and see what's out there". NOT a big help!! especially when looking for current roms. I've been "googling" for about 2hrs now and still don't have a clue to what to download.

When I searched, most links that came up where for early 2010.

The most irritating problem I found so far is with forums(in general).
    • So the forum was started on say.. 04/15/10
    • the first thread has a list of roms and where to find them etc etc
    • the last thread was posted on 05/03/11

So the question is..is the list updated to reflect the newest roms or does one have to scroll to the end and work your way backwards to see what has been left off the list??

I'm glad I found this forum!! because it looks like the operators are really trying to keep things up to date, but even on this forum the ROM Rating System (RRS) Complete With ROM Rating Index (RRI) was started on July 26th, 2010.

When you look at the listing you're given the following..
    Blackdroid
    Current ROMs
    - Ultimate Droid v1.0.0
    Indexed ROMs
    - Ultimate Droid v8.0
    AVG ROM RATING: 4.40

So, when did this rom come out? 2010, 2011? is it current, outdated?
    has the post been edited since 07/26/2010?

As a newbie looking for current info..it's not that easy, or i'm not finding it easy to find what the latest roms are.

There has to be a simple way of knowing what is current.

I apologize for my ranting and long windedness but I'm just frustrated when I keep reading..just find a rom, if you don't like it, find another one. I've found several, I just don't know if they're from 2010 or 2011 or even if they're stable, popular etc etc.

Thanks for any help and or suggestions..and maybe to those keeping the list under RRS can start inputing dates next to "current roms". Just a suggestion

Advertisement

2. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    Well you found the right section, so that's a start. For the most part, you'll find the newer ROMs have the most chatter in their threads, so they'll most likely be at the top of this page. It's about the best you can do, for now.

Something I do like that they do on the Droid Incredible forum is that when they release a ROM, they include the date in the title. It's a little late, but probably not a bad idea to start doing that here.

Something to keep in mind, though, is that not all newer releases may be the best fit for your Droid. Def a lot of trial and error. Take for instance, my Droid loves Liquid Gingerbread 1.7, but was not a fan of 1.8 or 1.85 (which is currently the latest build). I believe Ultimate Droid is on 3.3 (haven't been there). Also look at when the last posts were typed up, might help.

3. icecold

icecold Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    WI
    Otherwise, you can look at the associated ROM's webpages to determine there release dates... Get an idea what is gathering interest from the forum, and go and do a little searching around from three or so that pique your interest...