1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

I wonder if the Iphone 4S will ship with old operating system too.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dell21, May 31, 2011.

1. dell21

dell21 Newbie
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    Apple could be working on bug fixes in IOS 5, just making sure it's ready before they release it.

Yes, I'm feeling kinda frustrated with Android right now, I can't see why all these SUPERPHONES keep getting released with an outdated operating system.

Google did a lot of big talk at their I/O conference, but actions speak louder than words. Dual-core top of the line phones are being released with Froyo!

My main reason for buying the Atrix was to get a phone that was future proof, but it seems that Android phones are allowed one update and it's time to buy another phone.

Advertisement

2. evilbastard

evilbastard Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Well the Atrix has been out since February, and it's already had two updates, with two more on the way before the end of July.

3. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    The thing you forgot is unlike Apple, which makes both the OS AND the phone, is that Google release the OS AND then the manufacturer takes the OS and put it on their phones. So depending on when the OEM (Motorola) starts on the R&D of their phone (Atrix), the OEM use whatever OS that is available to them at the time. Google released the ASOP codes for Gingerbread in December 16, 2010, when it released the Nexus S. The Atrix was released 2 months later on February 22nd 2011. I am pretty sure that the Atrix was being worked on by Motorola months prior to Gingerbread released. So you expected that a phone that was released 2 months later to have the newest OS? You do know that when Gingerbread was released, the Atrix was most likely in the testing phase and ready for production? If you want the newest OS, you get a Nexus phone. If you want what Apple got, get the iPhone.

AND to add to evilbastard, it's a fact that the Gingerbread beta is already on selected Atrixes. Kennethpen, who I have a lot of trust for, is sporting the beta GB on his Atrix and said his source that he got the GB SBF from stated that GB update is expected to be released in June or July. So far, Moto/AT&T have been the fastest with the updates that I've seen so far.
    http://briefmobile.com/motorola-atrix-gingerbread-android-2-3

4. shaidtan

shaidtan Member
    None

Mar 20, 2010
    In all seriousness, the Droid X just got 2.3. The original Droid saw four updates taking it from 2.0 to 2.2.1. The Captivate has seen one update and reports of 2.3 updates are easy to find.

The Atrix has saw two updates in as many months. When AT&T announced they're enabling sideloading they stated it would be part of a regular update to the Atrix (not a silent one) and now we're hearing that 2.3 is coming soon.

The only way to be truly future proof is to plan on buying every new product but never get around to actually pulling the trigger. Motorola has shown that they're not afraid to throw updates to their phones a year or more after release, making them the next best thing to being future proof.

It seems to me that Google's announcement at I/O regarding updates to devices was in response to other companies not being as on top of things as Motorola has been.

5. Fountainhead93

None

Mar 7, 2011
    Electrical Engineer
    Orlando FL
    Don't forget that Apple supports only one phone at a time, even though they have 4 out now, unlike Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, etc., that have dozens of models out at a time?
    I can't see how anyone can do as good a job with dozens of phones as Apple can with one.

6. animeware

animeware Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    When the Iphone 5 ship out it's most likey to have firmware 5.0 I'm just guessing at this point.

7. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 23, 2010
  8. HankAtrix

HankAtrix Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 27, 2011
    I am the VP of a database software company
    I am from New Orleans but have had the great oppor
    Hello - As I'm sure you know, we have it now! 2.3 is working in the Atrix really well.

9. ericshmerick

ericshmerick Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    Blame Moto, not Google.

Oh, wait, we have 2.3.4.

I have no idea what you want. Google to manage 70+ Android devices for simultaneous OS releases like Apple manages TWO devices (3G/S & 4)?

Again, blame the manufacturer who could quickly put stock Android on the device. Instead, they want their own engineers to monkey around with the Android build adding in memory hogging crap and paid carrier apps. Not Google's fault.

enewkirk1 likes this.