• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

i9000 INL version vs ATT version

...or you could just root the Captivate and get 3g everywhere AND no bloatware

Not trying to be an ass.
I am asking this in a nice way.

Why would you trust 3rd party software to mod your phone?
A phone is such a big part of our life now, it has so many personal information.

Any 3rd party unsigned software could be virus or spyware, or act maliciously.
I am thinking it takes a wide spread worm to wake people up.

Someone pls let me know how safe this kind of 3rd party rooting procedure is. Please enlighten me.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Not trying to be an ass.
I am asking this in a nice way.

Why would you trust 3rd party software to mod your phone?
A phone is such a big part of our life now, it has so many personal information.

Any 3rd party unsigned software could be virus or spyware, or act maliciously.
I am thinking it takes a wide spread worm to wake people up.

Someone pls let me know how safe this kind of 3rd party rooting procedure is. Please enlighten me.

Thanks!

Rooting just lets you go further inside of your phone, so you have complete control over software and hardware. It is completely safe for your phone and literally millions of people have their phones rooted or jailbroken.

You have a better chance of downloading a virus through a sideloaded app than by rooting your phone, since unlike the iPhone, you are not restricted to the App Store. Anybody can write an Android app and put it on the internet, Google nor anybody else has to approve it.

If you are worried about viruses, don't download apps unless it is a trusted source like the Marketplace. But there is no need to worry about rooting it.

Upvote 0
Rooting just lets you go further inside of your phone, so you have complete control over software and hardware. It is completely safe for your phone and literally millions of people have their phones rooted or jailbroken.

You have a better chance of downloading a virus through a sideloaded app than by rooting your phone, since unlike the iPhone, you are not restricted to the App Store. Anybody can write an Android app and put it on the internet, Google nor anybody else has to approve it.

If you are worried about viruses, don't download apps unless it is a trusted source like the Marketplace. But there is no need to worry about rooting it.

OK, but the rooting procedure asks you to download a file and put it into your phone, then let it ran.
How is that different from installing an app?

Upvote 0
OK, but the rooting procedure asks you to download a file and put it into your phone, then let it ran.
How is that different from installing an app?

I actually wouldn't worry about doing either, I just think that with the size of the developing and rooting community, as long as it is a trusted source, you are good. I have never heard any reports of a bricked or infected phone due to rooting. But there are rare cases where apps contain viruses.

I also think that the extremely small amount of risk involved in it is a small price to pay for the limitless things you can do with a rooted Android phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones