1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Ice Cream Sandwich and CM7.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by KendallParis, Sep 20, 2011.

1. KendallParis

KendallParis Member
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    How long do you think it will take for an Ice Cream Sandwich version of CM7 to be up and running after its release? I read an article today stating that it's looking like Halloween will be the window date.

I'm asking because my mother wants a NookColor and I'm trying to figure out whether I should wait until ICS, attempt to make a card myself and then give her the Gingerbread that I currently have or just get her a NookColor and give her Gingerbread.

I still have no idea if I have the mental stones to make a card, or if I even want ICS, so if it becomes a problem, I'd just buy a new one with ICS, but that would just delay everything that much more.

In the end, she could just suck it up and wait until Christmas, but I'm the kind of person that gives to others what I would want for myself. If ICS is really going to be that great, I'd feel a little guilty with her only having Gingerbread, even though she wouldn't know the difference.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

2. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    It appears it's going to take a couple months to port Android to the HP Touchpad. They're going to the work of obtaining the proper source code and driver source code to make porting to ICS easy. This is the same dev team that is also responsible for the NC.

I would think it would take a couple months minimum to port ICS to the NC.

You're running off the sdcard and want to know if you should buy one for your Mom?

My recomendation... Develop some stones. You'll be a better person for it. You really can't wreck it. Buy one, and give it to Mom when you've flashed CM7 to it. :D

Every time someone buys a CM7 or HC sdcard off eBay, a kitten dies.

3. KendallParis

KendallParis Member
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    Well, I'm not overly fond of kittens, but I don't hate them either,:D so I think I'll try this rooting and making card thing. I just bought a new computer, so that should help me avoid some of the issues I've read about with trying to do this on a laptop.

If nothing else, it will get me some practice for ICS and who knows, I may update the version that I have.

P.S. I knew you'd call me a wimp, but I did need your opinion on how long it would take for ICS to be ready. :D

4. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Take your time, if something doesn't work, re-read the thread... someone else probably has had the problem.

5. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    USA
    If ICS comes to the NC, I'll be more than ecstatic.