1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Ice Cream Sandwich source released, Waiting for CM9 Thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lynyrd65, Nov 14, 2011.

?

How long will it take?

1. Two Weeks

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. 1-3 months

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. 3-5 months

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  4. An eternity (more than 5 months)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lynyrd65

lynyrd65 Newbie

Yup, Google released the source a little earlier than expected. How long will it take for builds to make it over here?

2. antonyfl

antonyfl Lurker

unofficially, it would probably take 2 months. But considering that the CM team takes a long time to iron out all the bugs before releasing a stable version, its more like 5 months

3. HoPPy785

HoPPy785 Newbie

Will the CM team skip making a port of CM7 for the Fire and just go straight for CM9 or will we get both?

4. Pulsar

Pulsar Newbie

I can't wait to get ICS.

5. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

I'd say they're going to work on root before starting on an ICS ROM on the KF.

6. NYC Coyote

NYC Coyote Well-Known Member

Me thinks they will start working on devices that they already have teams for.....

Especially since One: very few of these will be in the wild till tomorrow.... and

Two: Root must be achieved first.....

Once those happens.. maybe someone will gift the members a few of them to work on it..

7. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

Agreed that root needs to happen first.

I'm not a developer but how hard would CM9 be when the Fire doesn't have GPS/BT/etc or would that make it easier???

8. pkpmoa1536

pkpmoa1536 Newbie

I expect root very soon; Amazon has already come out and pretty much said they are "expecting" plenty of folks to root the Fire, plus with ICS source rolling out of Mountain View, I know there are gobs of talented Devs who'll be working tirelessly this weekend.

9. omgwtfmason

omgwtfmason Newbie

I'm not a dev either, but I'm guessing that it would probably make it easier seeing as you wouldn't have to set up those things to work

10. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

i think amazon will make it as difficult as possible IMO. they want everyone using their appstore

11. Have we seen a tablet-focused ROM yet? With Honeycomb still closed (right?), that leaves only Gingerbread as the latest source that could be developed.

So if I understand this correctly, there could be a lot more research involved as devs may not have worked with Google's tablet-friendly code yet.

But I'm also underestimating the developers.

12. lynyrd65

lynyrd65 Newbie

I imagine many will still use the app store as I do for the free paid apps.

With the release of ICS source yesterday they also released the Honeycomb source code as well. The main issue devs face besides new code is the shear size of the code. It will take three times longer to build from the code.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  13. JBiz227

JBiz227 Newbie

I love me some CM, but if I get bored, there's plenty of other ROMs out there to occupy my time until we start seeing some ICS builds.

It will definitely be interesting to see if/when the KF gets cracked and what the capabilities are. Maybe there's some hardware in there that isn't being utilized (like the 2nd gen iPod Touch had BT but it wasn't enabled at first).