• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICE - In Case of Emergency

I have the ICE App on my Galaxy S GT-I9000 and, naturally it appears on the list of Apps shown when I press the Apps icon on my phone.

I copied I tried to transfer the App to the first of the idle screens on the phone. I pressed my finger onto the screen and held it there until another window appeared entitled "Add to Home screen". This window had four options (i) Widgets, (ii) Shortcuts, (iii) Folders and (iv) Wallpapers.

I don't want Wallpapers or Folders. Shortcuts brings up a list of apps but not the one I want.

Widgets brings up the icon for ICE. If I select the icon it appears on the home screen.

Selecting the icon gives a "Getting started" screen and after that the full screen for the App.

If I then select (say) the "Who to call" sub menu and then select the Menu key on the phone I get a further three icons along the bottom of the screen - "Add contact", "Reorder list" and "Help".

If I then select "Add contact" I get the error message "Changes not allowed when launched from widget"

How else can I launch the App? Widgets was the only option?

I have the ICE App on my Galaxy S GT-I9000

A special, separate app for ICE?

I don't need that. I've simply created 3 ICE records in my Contact list: ICE1, ICE2, and ICE3, with associated people's names, phone numbers, and email addresses.
No need for a special, separate app.

If I find someone in need of help I'll apply First Aid first, call medics second, cops third, and then – later, if the medics or cops haven't taken the victim away (how often would that happen...) – I'll rummage in the victim's Contact List if I want to contact someone important to him/her. There I would (hopefully) find ICE1, ICE2, and ICE3 records. After all the Contact List is, DUH, the logical place to look for contacts, right?
It wouldn't occur immediately to me to check the victim's apps (unless he/she is dead perhaps). In fact, I would want to stay away from that in order to respect the victim's privacy amap.

I've had ICE1, ICE2, and ICE3 records in my Contact Lists for maybe a decade now. Looong before smartphones came onto the scene.

Upvote 0
A special, separate app for ICE?

I don't need that. I've simply created 3 ICE records in my Contact list: ICE1, ICE2, and ICE3, with associated people's names, phone numbers, and email addresses.
No need for a special, separate app.

The ICE app is really beneficial for people with extreme allergies or any medical condition or special needs, as you can write all of those in the app along with your ICE contacts etc.

+ A list of people to call -- can call directly from the app
+ Insurance information
+ Doctor names and numbers -- can call directly from the app
+ Allergies
+ Medical Conditions
+ Medications
+ Any special instructions or other information you wish to provide

The whole point of it is to be displayed on the lockscreen (3rd party) so that it is seen.

ss-320-1-5

ss-320-0-5

ss-320-0-5

^--screenshots are from the ICE app on the market

Upvote 0
The ICE app is really beneficial for people with extreme allergies or any medical condition or special needs, as you can write all of those in the app along with your ICE contacts etc.

Agreed. For those situations it can be beneficial.
For 'standard' people, without any special ailments or medication, it would be waaay over the top: I don't plan on walking around 24/7 carrying a First Aid case either. (I have one in the car, though!).

Question:
is it wise for people with extreme allergies or any medical condition or special needs to be out in public*, unaccompanied...?

*or worse: without public. Like strolling through the countryside or something akin.
Imo that would be irresponsible. With or without smartphone/ICE.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones