1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

ICE or other buttons on lockscreen?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by BrianZephyr, Aug 15, 2011.

1. BrianZephyr

BrianZephyr Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Hello,

I've been a member of this forum under a different account for a while and have had my Galaxy S Captivate for almost a year.

Among many other annoyances that are somewhat pathetic for what Android could potentially be, I want to know if it's possible to add buttons and text to the default PIN lockscreen, such as ICE. I have tried ICE apps but none even work without unlocking the phone, which makes it useless for anyone who wants password protection...

My old Nokia flip phones had an option to display custom text on the lock screen, but boom, here's two years later and the new almighty Android phone doesn't even have this simple feature. It seems as if Google has not even bothered to put in simple features and UI customization options that would be so obvious.

I've looked at all sorts of lock screen replacements in the Market, which I am very weary of since most of them are crap and have problems that can prevent the phone from unlocking when you need it most, and Contact Owner, which is supposed to display the owner or ICE info on the PIN screen, but it only displays it on pattern lock which I don't use. So, it's useless for my case, and the developer has never made an update.

What gives?

Thanks,
    -Brian

Advertisement

2. gcoken

gcoken Lurker
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    Director of Operations for a Non-Profit
    Massachusetts
    I use a ICE program by Appventive and it starts and opens before the lock screen every time

3. KendallParis

KendallParis Member
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    That's the one I have and it should work for you. I just use the slider to lock my phone. Now, it did interfere with my alarms, but look for the aforementioned.

4. BrianZephyr

BrianZephyr Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Hmm, it's also not free, and it still leaves my question out in the open: How did Android not enable such a basic feature?

Also, I don't want any additional unlock screens. Simply a button (or even a simple text box!) that displays emergency contact info. I would also use it to display my own info in case it's lost and someone actually wants to return it. I guess this is just another one of Anroid's shortcomings. Very Apple-esque.

I'm still searching!

5. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Widget locker is a lock screen replacement that you can add Widgets to. It does not give an additional lock screen but replaces your current one. Get that and minimalistic text. You can create a widget with minimalistic text on the lock screen that says whatever you want it to. Widget locker costs $2 I think. The version of minimalistic text you would need is free.

Widget locker market link

Minimalistic text market link