• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root IceColdSandwich help thread

Yup see it.

:alberteinstein:

This means war (well technically we have never called a truce).

images

You do realize that the Dark side of the force ALWAYS looses? There are 3 (well... 6 if you include the 3 newer ones) that show this... are you sure you wanna declare war?

Upvote 0
Going to a real issue in the AOKP versus Sense ROM battle (i.e. Episode VII) :D

With AOKP ROM's, both ICS and JellyBean, on the HTC Desire HD I noticed that if you check the battery history stats, AOKP ROM's have a lot of awake time even when the screen is off.

With an ICS ROM on a DHD or a AOSP ICS/JB ROM on a Galaxy Nexus (stock), the readings for awake and screen on is almost identical. You will find short burst of awake activity intermittently even when the screen is off background apps update.

With AOKP ICS or JB on the DHD, it seems that it takes a more time for the ROM from going from screen on (or awake with screen off) to sleep mode.

My best guess with battery life is:

a) During long periods of inactivity the difference in battery use should be negligible (based on testing consumption when left on overnight while I sleep).

b) During heavy use, I think the AOKP ROM seems as efficient (based on testing consumption when playing a game).

c) If use during the day is frequent but short periods of activity, for example, if you check your phone for 5-10 minutes every hour or so, the AOKP ROM is not as battery efficient since it spends a substantially longer period of time awake even after you turn off the display.

My best guess for the reason is the hardware drivers. The OS is open source, but the drivers are not. So a Sense ICS ROM uses HTC proprietary drivers while a AOKP ICS will use open source drivers.

A solution to removing bloat and keep HTC drivers might be to de-Sense a HTC Sense ROM.

One caveat with my observations

When I install an Sense based ROM I freeze/disabled the following apps:

HTC Location and widgets
HTC Premium Navigation
HTC Hub
HTC Like and widgets
HTC Watch and widgets
HTC Stocks and widgets
Some unused HTC widgets (i.e. Calculator)
Things I don't use like Dock Mode and Media Link
Stock apps I don't use Email app (Since I only use gmail anyway)

In that Sense I am comparing a Sense "Lite" with AOKP.

Reactions: D-U-R-X and davo26
Upvote 0
Actually, IIRC, there was discussion on this. I don't think we worked out how to turn off haptic feedback while using the keyboard (for texting), but we did get a work around... it was to install a 3rd party keyboard app.

Just heading out, but should be back in an hour or so and will have a proper play around and report back :)

Reactions: Ewoedo
Upvote 0
yep, it was me that had tht problem. ive got another ICS thread running a bit further down the page.
http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-all-things-root/628388-ice-cold-sandwich-all-up-running-ok-now.html

as for the haptic feedback, no i never found out how to do it, but as mentioned above, i just installed another keyboard, swiftkey 3. it says trial, but i dont know how long that is, but im using it now and its fine. ironically its set for haptic feedback and i thought there wasnt any so i just left it alone. i think it does possibly vibrate a tiny bit on its default setting but its fine for me, and i could possibly turn it off altogether. just didnt like the stock keyboard for this rom anyway.

cheers

Reactions: ral and D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
Reactions: davo26
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones