• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Icon labels

Just stay away from apps by Chinese developers, and check permissions, especially on games. If a permission doesn't make sense, then the app might be up to something. For example, there are hundreds of flashlight apps. Many of them require access to the internet, your contacts and are able to read files. If all they do is enable the LED on the back of the phone, what are they doing with an internet connection?

Upvote 0
Just stay away from apps by Chinese developers, and check permissions, especially on games. If a permission doesn't make sense, then the app might be up to something. For example, there are hundreds of flashlight apps. Many of them require access to the internet, your contacts and are able to read files. If all they do is enable the LED on the back of the phone, what are they doing with an internet connection?

Don't like launchers. Rather figure out a way to remove labels on original homescreen.

Upvote 0
Some stock launchers do not give you the option to remove icon labels.
I've used Nova launcher for years and highly recommend it.
You can even install every imaginable icon pack to suit your tastes.
Bottom line is the stock launcher may not suit your needs.

What I don't like about launchers is that it feels like an app, you have to launch the app. I would prefer to just remove the label without launching anything.

Upvote 0
What I don't like about launchers is that it feels like an app, you have to launch the app. I would prefer to just remove the label without launching anything.
If you set the launcher as the default launcher you don't need to open it. It will replace the functionality of the stock launcher, and when you hit the home button it will go to the selected default launcher.

Upvote 0
What he said...
smiley what he said.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones