• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Icon not showing up over keyguard after upgrade to 4.3

netfortius

Nov 16, 2010
Fairly simple setup (newbie user of tasker :)), which worked up until and inclusive of 4.1.x on S3, consisting in a sound alert and an icon to STOP the alert (acknowledge), upon receipt of a specific SMS (string inside the SMS), which icon was showing ON TOP of the screen lock (via the "show over keyguard" set to ON).

Since the upgrade to 4.3 the alert still works as before (SMS with <string> comes in, music starts and icon shows up), with one (MAJOR) exception: the icon meant to allow me to stop the alert music now requires unlocking the phone, first, prior to being able to see it. Any ideas?

[Useless info, meant to only support my plea for assistance ;-)] If you picture these alerts coming to me at the oddest hours of the night (critical alerts from work), you could imagine how pleasant it is to try and unlock a phone in total darkness, barely awake, to stop the annoyance of the sound waking up the entire house inhabitants, before being able to stop.

TIA,
Stefan

I'm having a hard time visualizing the profile you're using - could you perhaps export it so I can dig into it and see what's actually going on? Long-press the profile's Name, hit Menu > Export > Description (to email or clipboard, either will work) and just paste that information here (removing any personal information as needed).

Upvote 0
... did a search for "export" in the Tasker FAQ (told you I was a newbie w/this one :) ), and found a preference option that needed to be enabled to allow for that... still no "export" option for profile, as originally asked by the first responder (only "clone" as new), but enabled "export" for the task - maybe that helps??? Thx again

SMS audio (4)
A1: Alarm Volume [ Level:3 Display:On Sound:On ]
A2: Music Play [ File:/system/media/audio/alarms/Walk_in_the_forest.ogg Start:0 Loop:Off Stream:4 ]
A3: Menu [ Title:Emergency Call Background Image: Layout:IconAndTextMenu Timeout (Seconds):60 Show Over Keyguard:On Items:(1) ]

Upvote 0

If you say so...

uploadfromtaptalk1386166658872.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1386166675260.jpg

Back on topic, though, I'm playing around with a Test profile I just built to try and replicate what you've got going. In my testing, the menu essentially disables or bypasses my lockscreen and then appears in front of my homescreen. What manner of lockscreen do you use? Slide, Pattern, PIN/Password, etc? I'm wondering if that could be related.

Upvote 0
Pattern. But in the spirit of technologists as we all are (in different areas, for sure), the first question that comes to mind is "what changed (btw when it worked and when it stopped working)?" - and the only answer is "version of Android OS". The next question, then, is: is anybody aware of an issue btw the way the locked screen gets accessed (and overriden) in the new OS version, that the existing Tasker may need to adjust in its functions?

Meanwhile I'll play with the various lock screens, as implied, but I would really prefer to fix the pattern one.

Thx.

Upvote 0
Pattern. But in the spirit of technologists as we all are (in different areas, for sure), the first question that comes to mind is "what changed (btw when it worked and when it stopped working)?" - and the only answer is "version of Android OS". The next question, then, is: is anybody aware of an issue btw the way the locked screen gets accessed (and overriden) in the new OS version, that the existing Tasker may need to adjust in its functions?

Meanwhile I'll play with the various lock screens, as implied, but I would really prefer to fix the pattern one.

Thx.

Just tested with a Pattern lock, and I see the same thing - when triggered, the lockscreen disappears and I see the Menu - but interacting with the menu runs the appropriate task and the locks the screen back up.

Really, though, I'm not sure that the Android system would, from a security standpoint, want to allow anything to be drawn over the top of the lockscreen, as that would somewhat defeat the purpose of device security in the first place.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones