1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General ICS allows USB gamepads/controllers, how about with MHL?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dakster, Oct 22, 2011.

1. dakster

dakster Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Computer Scientist
    New York
    From this article:

Ice Cream Sandwich Enables The Use Of Gamepads And Controllers For Your Device - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

This is great for gamers, being able to plug USB gamepads/controllers to game. However, since a lot of phones are moving to MHL for hdmi connectivity, how would you go about using MHL video out through the USB (like on the galaxy nexus) at the same time as a usb gamepad?

I'm not sure if USB hubs would work at all if you connected a MHL adapter to the phone.

Perhaps you'd have to use some bluetooth controller, but I was just curious if anyone knew if MHL could be used in conjunction with a usb hub.

Advertisement

2. Auzo

Auzo Newbie
    None

Mar 26, 2011
    Whatever cable you have plugged in directly sets the tone so to speak. USB cables for data or game pads have one impedance and MHL cables for HDMI out have another. When a cable is plugged into the port the MHL circuit inside the phone will detect the impedance and switch the connection to either the HDMI circuit or the USB circuit. As it stands now they cannot run simultaneously. Maybe in the future they can create some TDM (time division multiplexing) system that lets the two work simultaneously, but that would take some doing.

I have always been concerned about this issue with MHL. Another example is what if I want a dock with USB and HDMI out. I'm not sure it would work with MHL.

3. mikepic

mikepic Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 17, 2010
    Analyst
    CT
    Nothing official but it's said that the Bluetooth controller in the Nexus is the same as the GS2 and that phone was able to wirelessly connect to a Wii controller (and I think PS3).

So in theory we can connect the phone through MHL to a TV and mirror what's on the screen (while charging, YAAY!) and play our emulator games wirelessly with a controller.

4. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Correct, MHL and USB controllers will be a no-go.

Since this will have the stock Android BT stack though who cares? I'd much rather use a PS3 controller or Wiimote...

5. Chopaan

Chopaan Lurker
    None

Oct 23, 2011
    You think this will affect a device like SGS2? Or will they still use that other Bluetooth standard?

Really wanna use my PS3 controllers :(

Tags: