• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ICS Android 4: Features missing on S2

So far I have discovered that the S2 does not appear to have the new Gallery App or the new Live effects for camera. I also suspect "people App" is a revamped contact.

What else is missing form ICS S2 and why?

Is it because Samsung layer on Touch Wiz?

Would I get these features if I rooted the phone (currently on UK Orange build.

They took out that option on contacts, there are quite a few things they have changed like that, they even put out a pdf for these changes as in the pdf on this site Galaxy-S2-EUR-OPENGT-I9100-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-Guide-Ver-2.0.pptx
There are a couple of things I have noticed missing on my orange build update that I was looking forward to from ics, one of which is the folders (drag and drop items ontop of each other to make nicer looking folders than touch wizs. Also i dont know if im being daft but the ota option seems to be missing as in this screen shot. Is that just orange?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-05-10-20-45-56-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-10-20-45-56-1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0
Medion, what new lockscreen, I have face recognition which is new isnt it. I sthere something else?

The new ICS lockscreen lets you launch the camera from the lockscreen (and a few other apps, I believe). If I remember correctly, you have 4 options from the lock screen; unlock, camera, phone, and messaging.

EDIT: Here it is...

ics-lock-screen.jpg

Upvote 0
Looks like we have been short changed. Is it me, or is ICS on orange S2 still flakey. Never had so many stuck apps, its supposed to be quicker.

I'm on Orange as well and I don't think I'd bother upgrading if given the choice again. It's running OK, but I find the browser is slower to load pages and the screen is less sensitive to touch input.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones