• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ICS Annoyances

cbeng

Nov 7, 2011
Merry Xmas Nexicans!

I'm loving my Nexus for the most part. Screen is beautiful and I'm getting good battery life and reception so far (besides Verizon's hiccups a couple days ago).

There are definitely a few things that could be improved on Google's end, though.

They really should have kept the menu and search keys where they are as permanent buttons next to home and back. It's dumb and unintuitive to have to hunt around each app and look for the moving 3 little dots or magnifying glass icon. I know that there are softkey mods for this, but frankly it's embarrassingly bad design out of the factory when I'm trying to show people like my parents how to use the phone "try to find the 3 little dots" or "go to the top left to go back to the first screen of the app where they keep the search icon" (google maps especially)

Now this next one is a huge annoyance - no way to show/hide the keyboard manually. Without a permanent menu button, there is no way to force the keyboard on/off. Not a feature i'm happy to give up coming from GingerBread. Related to this, you can't just hold search to initiate a voice search. That one little nice universal search button should replace that whole Google Search banner at the top of the stock launcher.

Finally, the stock browser, while offering good performance, is completely unintuitive. Dolphin Browser HD is ridiculously better in terms of accessing tabs and favorites.

Now, as I said, I really love the phone and I'm not trying to troll. It's just that some of these little things go a long way in people's enjoyment of interacting with the device. I'm perfectly happy to root, ROM, mod and flash my way to the setup I like with 3rd party launchers, softkey mods, 3rd party keyboards, but for people like my parents who get this phone, the oversights on Google's part definitely are a bit of a hindrance.

What do you guys and gals think?

I am in the same boat as you, I love the phone itself and the beautiful screen but there are alot of little things that seem frustrating to me. The browser is my biggest complaint, I haven't downloaded a different one yet but I plan to. I hate that once I removed the google search banner that I am not able to put apps at that part of the screen, just leaves an ugly blank spot on the screen. The browser on my Tbolt just felt so "right", everything was placed exactly where I thought it should be and easy to find.

I was considering the Rezound (I like HTC) my wife just got one and it is pretty cool, I like the setup and some of the stock apps loaded on the phone are nice but after a side by side comparison of some HD youtube videos I think i will stick with my nexus, the screen is huge and the volume (with the free volume+) is actually louder than the rezound! not to mention the picture quality.

Now this next thing really bugs me, the 3 home keys at the bottom of the screen, well.... not home keys but you know what I mean. I would like to get rid of them completely and be able to bring them up only when needed, whats the use of the bigger screen if those are there 95% of the time. I think I am about ready to root and see what happens. I'm still a noob so I fear change :)

One thing that I haven't seen anyone mention is the 3

Upvote 0
They really should have kept the menu and search keys where they are as permanent buttons next to home and back. It's dumb and unintuitive to have to hunt around each app and look for the moving 3 little dots or magnifying glass icon. I know that there are softkey mods for this, but frankly it's embarrassingly bad design out of the factory when I'm trying to show people like my parents how to use the phone "try to find the 3 little dots" or "go to the top left to go back to the first screen of the app where they keep the search icon" (google maps especially)

I don't think it's embarrassingly bad design -- the iphone has ZERO fixed keys, and it is supposedly the most elegant design that appeals to people. I think the new way is better -- doesn't it make sense to only have a menu key if there is, in fact a menu available? I don't don't know about having to "hunt" for it -- it often appears right there next to the other keys.

Search is just fine -- I use the search bar to start a search when I'm not in an app. If I'm within an app, I just tap out.

I think the multi-task window key is great -- that's what a lot of people wanted, the ability to go back to exactly where they where in another app somewhere, with the same exact screen.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
I figured out couple of annoyance in ICS,

First, if you turn off the auto rotation option, you lose the ability to play your videos on full screen. Plus the video start from the beginning if you accidentally pressed the lock key while watching.

Second, no option for a physical camera shutter key, and the ability to choose whether to auto focus while taking the picture or choosing tap to focus.

Third, regardless of the fact that you are unable to manage multiple email at once, Gmail should've been fully integrated and bug free. However, I faced difficulties while trying to access attachments in sent and draft emails. "Unfortunately Gmail has stopped".

There are couple of minor annoyance however i cant recall them right now.

I love ICS and I hope this would be a helpful criticizing.

Upvote 0
the stock clock app which is also the alarm clock app...i dont understand why google cant just put an alarm clock app there (without having to download a 3rd party)...to get to the alarm clock you have to hit clock, then wait for the screen to darken and the current time to appear, then click the little alarm clock icon and hopefully you can then set or edit an alarm....unless i'm missing something

same android gripe holds true for podcasts (i use beyond pro)

Reactions: krouget
Upvote 0
It's a learning curve you'll get use to it and then realize it's pretty intuitive with how its designed. I thought I'd never use the google search but i've used it about 10 times so far trying to find my many apps. It's so much easier to search for my app compared to launching the app tray and looking for it.

As for the menu you'll get use to that because it's always a 3 dot button.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
L
the stock clock app which is also the alarm clock app...i dont understand why google cant just put an alarm clock app there (without having to download a 3rd party)...to get to the alarm clock you have to hit clock, then wait for the screen to darken and the current time to appear, then click the little alarm clock icon and hopefully you can then set or edit an alarm....unless i'm missing something

same android gripe holds true for podcasts (i use beyond pro)

The most cost worthy app on the market is beautiful Widgets and it allows you to tap the time and go right into the alarm clock. Also, tapping the weather gives you a 5day forecast. Give it a shot, tons of customizations.

Reactions: mattywalnuts
Upvote 0
By far the biggest annoyance about ICS for me is the inability to have my phone mount as a USB device. It means Sync doesn't see it in my truck, and that I can't edit files stored on the phone, everything opens as "read only". One of the things I liked best about Android vs. iOS is the ability to plug my phone in and do whatever I want with the file system in Windows, and that has been reduced in ICS.

Reactions: ckelly33
Upvote 0
By far the biggest annoyance about ICS for me is the inability to have my phone mount as a USB device. It means Sync doesn't see it in my truck, and that I can't edit files stored on the phone, everything opens as "read only". One of the things I liked best about Android vs. iOS is the ability to plug my phone in and do whatever I want with the file system in Windows, and that has been reduced in ICS.

You are describing a limitation of the Galaxy Nexus and its internal-only storage, and not a limitation of ICS. Same effect from where you sit, I'm sure, but what you wrote could be misleading.

Reactions: tspangle88
Upvote 0
i really missed the dedicated search button as well... but then i rooted. ;)

Screenshot_2011-12-24-10-25-43.png

seriously though, this is exactly why i love android. try finding softkey mods for an iphone... especially less than 2 weeks after its release. :cool:

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0
I think this article pretty clearly lays out the info better than I could:
Ice Cream Sandwich supports USB mass storage after all, Galaxy Nexus does not - Engadget

It's most definitely not an ICS issue.

It seems you are right. I have no idea what most of it was talking about but, you are right. Would rooting give you access to mount it as a storage device? How do I get media to go between my phone and my PC?

If an external card is required for this function, someone should be slapped for limiting a Nexus device in this way. And slap the camera guy too while you are at it. Oh, and if you see the guy that can't figure out how to use the charging pins with a dock - slap him and then replace him.

Upvote 0
Would rooting give you access to mount it as a storage device?

No

How do I get media to go between my phone and my PC?

What OS are you using? In Windows 7, I use MTP and tell Windows to treat the device like a drive. Then I just drag and drop files as if it were UMS. You can also use Windows Media Player to sync files across to the phone (also using MTP as the protocol), but I've never done it.

Another option would be to use Airdroid or something similar.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sand.airdroid

You can also apparently use Samba if you're rooted.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.funkyfresh.samba

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones