• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ICS Anticipation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Novox77 here and this was my worst fear when the Evo3D was released.

They marketed the 3D on the device too much and let the fact that it was also the successor to the Evo4G & the fact that it was a very high-end device slide to the wayside. They should have marketed the 3D as a feature on the device but not the "main" feature. They should have focused on the qHD & the dual-core speed more and the 3D less.

Several people were unaware that the Evo3D was even faster than the Evo4G and in some cases I know people who purchased the Evo4G over the Evo3D because they simply didn't know.

The reality is that the Evo 4G LTE will be the true successor to the OG-Evo4G because the ball got dropped in so many ways with the Evo3D. (In my opinion)

I love my Evo3D, but I feel like other HTC devices that were released shortly after the release of the Evo3D were more of a spiritual successor to the OG-Evo4G. Most specifically the Rezound with the Red/Black-Coloring. In my opinion, that is the phone that should have been brought to Sprint as the "new Evo" in 2011.

Now, in saying that, if I had to choose again I would buy the Evo3D all over again. It's a great phone. The 3D is cool, but I never use it anymore. What does that leave me with? I still have a great phone. It's not perfect, but it does everything I need it to do and more.

Reactions: novox77
Upvote 0
I like my Evo 3D as well, but I can face the facts too. The 3D feature turned off a lot of people, including the early reviewers of the phone.

Despite the marketing focus on the 3D features, the cameras on the phone were not that great. Countless people reported weird white balancing issues that caused a green tint. While the camera did well under daylight, it was a poor performer under low light and especially flash.

They took away the kickstand to make way for the two cameras. While some people didn't care, it distanced itself from the OG Evo, which was the first phone to ever have a kickstand. You'd think a successor phone ought to carry on the tradition.

The E3D's speaker was weaker than the first Evo. Speakerphone sounded softer and tinnier than its predecessor.

Some people reported poor call quality as well.

Anyhow, the Evo LTE is clearly a sign that HTC is making amends. Everything the E3D got wrong, the Evo LTE is getting right.

It's for this reason I concluded that the Evo 3D was not a device HTC was very proud of. Actually, it was a byproduct of a business strategy that failed miserably: HTC decided that the way to gain market share was to make a ton of phones and bombard the market with them. The end result was a loss of identity focus, poor quality control, and a slower support/upgrade cycle.

HTC learned their lesson and is turning themselves around by devoting more energy on fewer but better devices.

Despite all this, the Evo 3D did serve my needs. We just have to acknowledge that from a business perspective, priority on this device is low.

Upvote 0
I agree with you guys 110% as well but given the fact HTC knows they messed up, and they know we are disappointed with our EVO 3d and lack their of such items as kickstands, and better promotion choices if the update is not a priority to them well it should be because no matter what there are thousands if not more EVO 3d owners who feel disappointed/let down so the only Way for them to keep us happy is make us a priority and update our Damn phones!!! Because i know myself I'm an HTC DIE HARD FAN and I won't buy another brand !!!! But iv seen Alot of people who useto be the same way until HTC did such business practices like this!!

Upvote 0
I agree with you guys 110% as well but given the fact HTC knows they messed up, and they know we are disappointed with our EVO 3d and lack their of such items as kickstands, and better promotion choices if the update is not a priority to them well it should be because no matter what there are thousands if not more EVO 3d owners who feel disappointed/let down so the only Way for them to keep us happy is make us a priority and update our Damn phones!!! Because i know myself I'm an HTC DIE HARD FAN and I won't buy another brand !!!! But iv seen Alot of people who useto be the same way until HTC did such business practices like this!!

You must run a very successful business.

Upvote 0
At this stage of the game I think HTC and Sprint missed the boat on this big time and completely screwed over everyone who bought the E3d... It is a moot point for me because I plan on getting the Galaxy Nexus, but had ICS come out before, I may have stayed with it, but too much time has gone by, and the E3d is a bit long in the tooth, still a great phone, that could be even better had Sprint and HTC kept up with ICS, a big slap in our faces, so much for loyalty... rant over...

Upvote 0
Um, everyone does realize there is only a few phones that officially have ICS in the United States right?! No one has missed the boat, and the few phones that have got the update, a couple of them are already reporting problems and the rollout has seized.

I'd rather wait for a stable and as close to perfect release when it comes...

Upvote 0
I want ICS too, but we've hardly missed the boat. We're guaranteed to get it and that's better than a lot of people have right now. So I'm grateful that we at least know it's coming and at the rate they've been updating Sprint Core-Service Apps, it's coming soon. So just be patient. We will still be "one of the first" to taste some Ice Cream =)

Reactions: EarlyMon and atg284
Upvote 0
At this stage of the game I think HTC and Sprint missed the boat on this big time and completely screwed over everyone who bought the E3d... It is a moot point for me because I plan on getting the Galaxy Nexus, but had ICS come out before, I may have stayed with it, but too much time has gone by, and the E3d is a bit long in the tooth, still a great phone, that could be even better had Sprint and HTC kept up with ICS, a big slap in our faces, so much for loyalty... rant over...

If anything, I would say that Sprint has missed the boat with the Galaxy Nexus. The Galaxy Nexus was released in November. Verizon got it in December. Sprint is getting it in...April? Might as well hang on to the Evo 3D until next year's Nexus comes out. Maybe Sprint will get it quicker.

Upvote 0
If anything, I would say that Sprint has missed the boat with the Galaxy Nexus. The Galaxy Nexus was released in November. Verizon got it in December. Sprint is getting it in...April? Might as well hang on to the Evo 3D until next year's Nexus comes out. Maybe Sprint will get it quicker.

I agree. I think Sprint should have just waited for the next Nexus. That being said, I would still love to have the Nexus. I'm hoping that they will get the next one sooner. I also think it was not a smart move on Samsung or Google to give Verizon exclusive rights to the phone for the time they did. It will only hurt Samsung and Google in long run.

I know we all want ICS yesterday, but we all want it to work right. I don't like getting updates on my phone only to have to wait for a maintenance update to fix the update. That's just frustrating. So let's all be patient and hope we don't have any problems when it does come.

Upvote 0

We're gonna get the update sooner or later, whenever it comes, it comes and why not wait for the new Evo, its right around the corner and its clearly better than the nexus.

Upvote 0
I couldn't agree more with the last few posts about Sprint missing the boat!! But what i am dying to know is when will our Damn EVO 3ds see ICS because lately all iv heard was "in time be patient, and HTC is updating a phone every week well that seems to be the pattern" last I knew unless I'm missing something the vivid, and rezound and the sensation lineup are the only ones so far who have received ICS in the states as far as HTC ICS updates go... So where is this evidence of HTC updating a phone a week non sense or better yet where is the leaked evidence of ICS updates being pushed out to users or real evidence of such updates cause i have yet to see any more news on any phones receiving ICS or even rumored to be receiving ICS in the coming days or weeks!!! :( :( :( :(

Upvote 0
If this is how its going to look on my Htc Evo 3d, then it isn't much of an update from gingerbread to ICS (on these older devices) In my opinion.

What do you think...is it much of an update?

I noticed that as well... It really isn't that different. And honestly, that is what is causing me to rethink whether to get the new EVO 3G LTE or the Galaxy Nexus instead. Going with HTC does get me better hardware (no doubt), but they do tend to screw up the software side of it. Don't get me wrong - Sense is among the best UIs out there, but after playing with my friend's Nexus, I kinda like that stock UI better. Wish HTC would make Sense a separate app that could be turned off if user wanted.

I've primarily used HTC smartphones till now (well, besides the Lumia 800 for work) - TP2, EVO 4G, EVO 3D and I was (/am) keen on getting the EVO 4G LTE. Now, after seeing the sense 3.6 being used for my year(+) old phone (that is capable of supporting sense 4.0), I'm not sure anymore....

I'll wait for the devices to be out and decide after reading reviews :)

I am still eagerly waiting for ICS to be released for my 3D though :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones