1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Support ICS Anticipation/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by strat1227, Oct 9, 2011.

1. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Nov 30, 2009
    Male
    18th Hole Of the Golf Course

Advertisement

2. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    Stay at home Dad
    Arizona, USA
    I'm not 100% sure the Evo3D will ever see Jelly Bean. If I understand correctly, the drivers for the 3D camera are fairly hard to code for. I'm the tiniest bit surprised we're getting ICS, frankly. Very thankful for the ICS upgrade though & patiently awaiting the ICS Evo3D experience.

~ ArmyX

3. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    It's debatable. We're still in that 18 month window, but Sprint has said it's now past it's EOL. But I think I'm going to agree with you on not getting JB. Sprint is now pushing the LTEvo pretty hard, the Evo 3D is now the Evo V on Virgin Mobile, and the 3D drivers might have to be recoded (even in a slight bit) to conform with Project Butter.

4. jacky13

jacky13 Lurker
    None

Jun 30, 2012
    Hi!

I've recently updated my HTC to android 4 and sense 3.6.
    Before the update I saw how many text messages had been sent in a thread(near the person's name) but now I can't find it anywhere.
    Please tell me where can I find it!

Thx,
    jacky13

5. cmanbrazil

cmanbrazil Well-Known Member
    None

May 10, 2010
    I am disappointed on how this was handled by Sprint and HTC. I truly hoped google was reigning in the hardware makers and the carriers regarding updates but I see nothing has changed.

With the phone only being a year old we can't move to the next phone so we are stuck. And even if upgrading was an option I shouldn't feel the need to just to get an update that my phone spec wise can easily handle.

Even though I have never rooted, I have a lot of respect for the guys who create the various ones and share them with who needs them. I will probably end up rooting this phone before it is all over.

There are truly few other options I see. I don't like the iPhone even though I use all other apple products -macbook pro, iPad, and apple TV. My next phone may be one google has more control over, so that i can ensure I get the latest updates.

If google is going to truly grow, it will need better control of app and hardware development.

6. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    Stay at home Dad
    Arizona, USA
    My next phone will be a Nexus (I have no doubt) & my Wife wants an iPhone. Getting the Android updates so late is just unacceptable & the manufacturers (& carriers) are not getting any better about it. It's very frustrating. Especially after they continue to tell us they will improve the fragmentation & then they simply don't do so.

~ ArmyX

814 htc evo likes this.
  7. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Android Expert
    None

May 13, 2010
    Attorney

The added complexity and the gamble of the 3D was definitely a mistake for Sprint and HTC (something I could talk about for hours). ICS was a full 1.0+ version release away from our current gingerbread though, so if you want to be optimistic about things, Jellybean is only 4.1. Perhaps the code changes from 4.0 to 4.1 aren't that significant to warrant as long a wait for JB as the wait has been for ICS.

8. Nalej

Nalej Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 1, 2012
    Male
    Military
    Penn State
    This. My next phone will be the next Nexus phone as well. Almost tempted to get the current one just so I can start playing with JB but patience has always served me well.

9. mak916

mak916 Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Male
    Sacramento, CA.
    I think I'm going to save up my money and buy me a Nexus also. I'll have to pay full price now since I just bought my GS3. I'm also going to root my 3D. No more waiting for Sprint. I'll have Jelly Bean on my 3D before Sprint puts out ICS. Lol.

10. Corpse11

Corpse11 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Graphic Design
    I have the new(current) Galaxy Nexus on Sprint as well the the 3D...The Nexus is great besides not being able to have LTE yet...so the 3D is still a lot faster for web stuff/downloads...I really like the pure ICS of the Nexus(soon to be Jelly Bean), but I still think the 3D is almost on the same level as far as phone performance...The Nexus does certain things better...the 3D does certain things better...

My next phone will likely 99% be the new iPhone tho...that specs are that thing are ridiculous and I use Apple for everything else already...so it only makes sense

11. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    After using the EVO 4G (original) & the EVO 3D recently, I switched to a Nexus this time - and based on what I've seen so far, I suspect I'll stick with the Nexus series going forward. (whether I stick with Sprint or not will depend partly on how late the updates are pushed to the CDMA Nexus - and of course on how good their LTE network turns out to be) :)

Yes, I know, I shouldn't worry about updates because of the ease of rooting etc - but I shouldn't have to worry about installing a custom ROM (with some broken features - like MMS on the current JB ROM out there). That's one of the points of getting a Nexus - timely updates. If I wanted to install custom ROMs, well, the EVO 3D will do just as well. The Nexus doesn't have some incredible hardware compared to other phones.

Having said that, the old EVO 3D is still in the family, on the second line that had a Windows phone. Works great (better battery life and better wifi performance compared to the Nexus).

princekagato likes this.
  12. bobby2478

bobby2478 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    MN
    Looks like I was right in being skeptical we'd see the update in June. I recall there was speculation it might appear in April or possibly May, with June the absolute latest. Sprint then says a June-July upgrade slot. We now find out that EVERY OTHER (non-Sprint) 3D got their update last week, while we Sprint suckers are still waiting.

My official guess is the earliest we'll see the Sprint update is Sunday July 29th, assuming a Sunday release date like some other updates. This is the last Sunday in July. If it comes sooner, I guess I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I also will say I bet there is a likelihood it gets bumped out into August, seeing as how ICS has been out for 6 months already and we STILL don't have an official update.

EarlyMon likes this.
  13. Jackietreehorn

Jackietreehorn Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 23, 2011
    Twin Cities, MN
    Perhaps I'm missing the obvious, but an official Sprint ROM isn't likely to offer anything new/better than what the community ROMs out there, is it?

Also, I'd love to get a Nexus device, but unless they're willing to offer 32GB minimum, and 64GB for breathing room, I'm on the fence due to the lack of expandable memory. Same reason I'm not getting a Nexus tablet. I know Google wants me to use their cloud stuff and everything, but between Sprint coverage/speed and the way I use my media, it's just not going to cut it.

14. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Sprint and VZN do offer 32GB on their Galaxy Nexus

Jackietreehorn likes this.
  15. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    I don't know if I would want a Nexus, at this point. I'm actually enjoying TouchWiz. It's just not as pretty as Sense, IMO.

I do agree with EM that Sense 4 isn't anything to write home about. Although, I will say this about Sense 4: They did the ICS App Launcher/Widget launcher right. You can sort widgets by app name and then preview the ones available to the apps. That, right there, is something that the other ICS launchers sorely lack (save for maybe CM9's trebuchet). It makes placing widgets so much easier.

16. cardinalflash

cardinalflash Lurker
    None

Jul 2, 2012
    So last night my HTC Evo 3D did an official update to Android Version 4.0.3, HTC Sense Version 3.6, Software Number 3.28.707.1 and now I can't get my mobile data to work. WiFi, Bluetooth all work fine but not mobile data. I've tried all the setting I could, uninstalled apps I thought might be affecting it. No luck.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Cheers.

17. Lilg37

Lilg37 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 9, 2010

Gsm or Cdma

18. cardinalflash

cardinalflash Lurker
    None

Jul 2, 2012
    It's GSM. I just did a factory reset and that seems to have solved the problem. Dunno why I didn't think of that in the first place. Maybe because I hadn't had my coffee yet. :)

EarlyMon likes this.
  19. Jackietreehorn

Jackietreehorn Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 23, 2011
    Twin Cities, MN
    You're right, my fault, I was kind of jumbling two different ideas while typing that (Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus). Still, would like to have the expandable option so that I'm not getting "ripped off"* for additional memory.

*Say, for example, Nexus 7. 8 GB for 199, an additional 50 for another 8 GB, when I've seen 8 GB cards for roughly 50 cents per GB, or $4.

As for ICS, I'm enjoying my custom ROM, though, most of the changes I'm enjoying are from going from stock to custom, not GB to ICS.

20. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    I am really disappointed with Sprint and HTC on this one. It's been more than a year since I got my Evo 3D and there's still no update to ICS which was supposed to be delivered months ago.

ArmageddonX, damewolf13 and Lilg37 like this.
  21. princekagato

princekagato Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2012
    Corrections Officer
    Cortez, CO

Same here....thank goodness for mikeyxda and MeanROM ICS

22. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Rogers EVO 3D got ICS today...

Good job Sprint (NOT!)

23. dgrobe2112

dgrobe2112 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 11, 2010
    Male
    Waco, TX
    what do you mean by that?

24. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}

Jan 31, 2011
    Male
    Entrepreneur / Business Owner - Freelance Writer
    Loganville, GA
    Not that I don't know how to, I just choose not too. I've never had a problem that I can't fix (yet) on my phone, and I've seen too many people having "unknown" problems since rooted.

Anyways, I'll be upgrading to the Evo 4g Lte early next year. So, for the time being...I think I'll keep it the way it is.

P.s. Ice Cream Sandwich is about to drop anytime soon. Yeah! :D

25. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}

Jan 31, 2011
    Male
    Entrepreneur / Business Owner - Freelance Writer
    Loganville, GA
    I feel the same way. I think they could have given us this update a lot earlier than what they're doing. :O

They come up with this crap about this and that...whatever!! I hope this month (July) is when we will finally get to enjoy ICS.

Tags: