• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ICS Anticipation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sprint is pulling the ICS update for the Epic 4G Touch and re-issuing it with bug fixes.

HTC has recanted and pulled it altogether for the earlier generation Desire HD.

This has been a rather catastrophic update for many.

Wow, that's not good at all. I guess that isn't surprising however knowing that both Sprint and HTC are really struggling to stay afloat at the moment. I don't understand how a company like HTC can go from a leader, to struggling to stay in business in a little over a year. Just amazing.

Also wouldn't surprise me if the statement about Sprint reps getting pressured to get people to upgrade to LTE devices was the primary driver for the delay in our ICS update. That, as well as the fact that since this is likely our last update, they don't want any bugs because they don't want to make anymore updates for the 3D. But I believe they could have had this done with no bugs months ago if they didn't want to try and milk the frustration with the update for all it's worth (getting people to say screw it and upgrade to LTE).

But knowing they both have limited resources ($$$$), I can guarantee that IF we get ICS at all for the 3D (meaning Sprint and HTC don't pull the plug all together), that this is the last official update we'll see. Neither company has the time or money to spend producing a JB update to a device that they don't sell anymore, and never made them a lot of money to start with.

Very dissapointed in myself for choosing to go with HTC on this phone instead of the SGII. Funny how then Samsung was the one to avoid cuz they couldn't get their updates straight, now the tables have turned and it's HTC that lost it's edge and is almost out of business.

Upvote 0
Where did you get the idea that HTC and Sprint's are going under?

You do understand that all last year HTC was setting sales and profit records each quarter until the Apple ruling in November? And that they bounced back again this year until the US Customs embargo hit?

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/financials/financials.asp?ticker=2498:TT

As for Sprint, you are aware that that they received something on the order of $3 billion in financing to complete the Network Vision upgrade just a few months ago?

I don't think that an ICS update delay is going to tank HTC and I don't think that a Samsung screw-up is going to bury Sprint.

Did you not follow that the SGS2 ICS is a total screw up? That they are replacing phones because the update was that hosed? If you want an SGS2, our forums are full of irate owners of those.

Upvote 0
Where did you get the idea that HTC and Sprint's are going under?

You do understand that all last year HTC was setting sales and profit records each quarter until the Apple ruling in November? And that they bounced back again this year until the US Customs embargo hit?

HTC CORP (2498:Taiwan): Financial Statements - Businessweek

As for Sprint, you are aware that that they received something on the order of $3 billion in financing to complete the Network Vision upgrade just a few months ago?

I don't think that an ICS update delay is going to tank HTC and I don't think that a Samsung screw-up is going to bury Sprint.

Did you not follow that the SGS2 ICS is a total screw up? That they are replacing phones because the update was that hosed? If you want an SGS2, our forums are full of irate owners of those.

Here is an article after their Q1 results were reported and showed 70% year on year drop in profits, already after their November troubles.

HTC announces 70% year-on-year profit drop for Q1 2012

They admitted they dropped the ball on their latest devices, and have focused hard on the OneX line to fix it. It just happened they dropped the ball at the worst time, as Apple and Samsung are now in control of the global smartphone market. It hints that the OneX is their shot to make up for mistakes, but the market is moving so fast they don't have a lot of time to get their act together. If the OneX sales don't pan out, and they continue to bleed market share to their competitors, they are in SERIOUS trouble.

Sprint on the other hand does appear to be doing better now in terms of adding new subscribers (which I didn't realize when I wrote my post). Their growth however has primarily been fueled by taking on additional debt (26 billion total), vs a market capitalization of only 10 billion. So they are heavily leveraged, which is risky. So things may finally turn around for them (and I want them to, I hate ATT and Verizon), however it's not a for sure thing. They've been bleeding money and subscribers for a long time, so hopefully their turn around continues.

So I think you misread my point. My point was NOT that the updates themselves would be the cause for the demise of HTC or Sprint. My point was that with all that HTC and Sprint have going on with their business at the moment to challenge their competitors and continue to gain back some previously lost market share, the ICS update wasn't (and rightfully shouldn't be) very high on their list of priorities. ICS won't make or break them. Their next gen devices (HTC) and LTE network (Sprint) is what will make or break their business, so that is where their focus is.

Also I never said I wanted a SGII. It was more me voicing my frustration with this update as I chose to go with HTC based on their previously stellar record with software updates when I decided on the Evo3D over other devices at the time (one of which was the SGII). Personally I like the Evo3D still, the update is what has been troubling. You bring up a good point however, I never knew the SGII update was that hosed. It's better to wait and relase a good update rather then one that is a POS, I agree with that.

Upvote 0
I am familiar with the first quarter results as well as the fiction that they had dropped the ball with too many models, that was excellent fiction for free advertising from the blogosphere.

HTC One sales have continued to climb and while below 2011 figures are still well above 2010 figures.

Your phrase was "almost out of business" for HTC and that's simply untrue.

The issues with Apple litigation cannot be overstated. Their stock hits and consumer panics have tied to that.

In any case, HTC has released ICS for this phone internationally and for Virgin Mobile, and that was some time ago.

It's not HTC that has failed to provide the 3D update, so there's no cause to believe that they lack the will or the resources.

This delay is driven by Sprint.

PS - sorry, I must have misunderstood your intention when you said you regretted not getting the SGS2.

Very dissapointed in myself for choosing to go with HTC on this phone instead of the SGII. Funny how then Samsung was the one to avoid cuz they couldn't get their updates straight, now the tables have turned and it's HTC that lost it's edge and is almost out of business.

Samsung - still not getting their updates straight, HTC - still not almost out of business.

Reactions: Lilg37
Upvote 0
Nice, lets see how long it will take the Devs to port it, notice the support has dropped off, so having this release should make a difference.

7/31/2012

• Upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0)
  • Home screen folders
  • Launch Bar for commonly used apps
  • Improved Android Browser
  • Improved Camera Experience
  • Face Unlock
  • Resizable widgets
  • Add/Remove Panels
How do I update my phone, see below

Check the version on your phone
To find the software version on your HTC EVO™ 3D:

1. From the Home screen, press the Menu key and tap Settings
  2. Flick up to scroll down and tap About phone
  3. Tap Software Information
  4. Software version is listed under Software number
  5. Press Home to return to the Home screen

Update your software
To update your EVO 3D over the air:

1. From the Home screen, press the Menu key and tap Settings
  2. Flick up to scroll down and tap System updates
  3. Tap HTC software update
  4. Tap Check now
  5. Your phone will check for available updates
  6. If there is an update available, you will be prompted to download and install it; your phone may power off and back on to complete the software update
  7. If no updates are available, you will see a message stating your phone is up to date; tap OK
  8. Press Home to return to the Home screen

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones