• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ICS/CM9-JB/CM10 Development Thread

I did a brief search but didn't find any other omap 3630 devices with cm9 builds. Can anyone find one? Don't care if it's official, just want a good github repo to look at.

FOP may not update their sources for some time, their dev is not responsive.

OMAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[ROM][ICS][4.0.4][IMM76L] EXPERIMENTAL CyanogenMod 9 - Alpha 9 - DEV ONLY! - xda-developers

[ICS 4.0.4]Unofficial CM9 - Nightly 6 Released - [07/03/2012] - xda-developers

[ICS] CM9 Android 4.0.4 for the Defy (Froyo kernel) - xda-developers

[ROM] CyanogenMod 9 [BETA] (DX) (6/22)

CyanogenMod 9 [UNOFFICIAL][Beta] (4/24) - Droid 2/R2D2 Development - RootzWiki

some of them might not have their sources linked and there might be a couple I missed.

Reactions: tdm
Upvote 0
All, I am interested in learning and helping with this. Even if it is just to test things out, I want to be part of this and learn things here and there. This is my first droid phone, and I am not sure my experience gives me much to go off of as I am a database admin so most of what I work with is SQL and some Visual Basic so I'm not sure that will translate much, but I am a fast study and more than willing to help however I can!

Upvote 0
Been working on this furiously today. I pilfered teamhacksung's BoardConfig.mk and their libs (libaudio, libcamera, etc.) Unfortunately, no visible progress. Same thing happens with surfaceflinger failing to init due to the PowerVR driver (/dev/pvrsrvkm ioctl).

But I did find out that if I delete /system/lib/hw/gralloc.omap3.so the system will come up, according to logcat, but the screen is black. So that's kind of a clue.

Finally, I downloaded a teamhacksung i9003 rom and compared. It looks like gralloc.omap3.so from their rom is the exact same bits as the one that FOP is using. So again, that's a clue.

I just know the issue is something silly.... just need to find and fix it.

Upvote 0
Been working on this furiously today. I pilfered teamhacksung's BoardConfig.mk and their libs (libaudio, libcamera, etc.) Unfortunately, no visible progress. Same thing happens with surfaceflinger failing to init due to the PowerVR driver (/dev/pvrsrvkm ioctl).

But I did find out that if I delete /system/lib/hw/gralloc.omap3.so the system will come up, according to logcat, but the screen is black. So that's kind of a clue.

Finally, I downloaded a teamhacksung i9003 rom and compared. It looks like gralloc.omap3.so from their rom is the exact same bits as the one that FOP is using. So again, that's a clue.

are you making it to the boot animation or stuck on the LG logo? are you using the stock zImage?

Upvote 0

When trying to get to the bottom of a matter it is always the smallest detail that is overlooked. And silly enough that small detail can cause big problems. If you need someone to d some legwork for you I am donating my time to your cause . Pm and tell me what to do. so that you can focus on the bigger issue at hand. :)

Reactions: tdm
Upvote 0
Yes I'm using the stock kernel for now. Less moving parts to troubleshoot. ;)

the stock zImage won't boot, it needs the GPU drivers updated to get to the animation, at least it did for me.

try one of these out, they both boot up all the way.

Hyper 2.0 zImage with updated GPU drivers - hypericskerneltest.zip

FOP CM9 zImage - blackcm9kernel.zip

the ramdisks in both are from the FOP CM9 with mounts changed for the marquee, init.p970.usb.rc renamed to init.ls855.usb.rc and the hciattach file name corrected.

Upvote 0
the stock zImage won't boot, it needs the GPU drivers updated to get to the animation, at least it did for me.

try one of these out, they both boot up all the way.

Hyper 2.0 zImage with updated GPU drivers - hypericskerneltest.zip

FOP CM9 zImage - blackcm9kernel.zip

the ramdisks in both are from the FOP CM9 with mounts changed for the marquee, init.p970.usb.rc renamed to init.ls855.usb.rc and the hciattach file name corrected.

You got to a cm9 boot animation? Sweet! Does the system come up?

Upvote 0
You got to a cm9 boot animation? Sweet! Does the system come up?

I've had it fully booting for like a week, but I didn't build the rom from source, I just ported the rom FOP already had built.

my bugs are no sound, no 3G, camera says failed to connect or something like that, vibration doesn't work(which is a kernel bug apparently since it works fine with the black's zImage), keyboard doesn't open up(another problem in the kernel).

but wifi works, adb/usb works, signal works till i break it trying to fix 3G and all the apps seem to work.

Reactions: lunigma and tdm
Upvote 0
I'll have to try it tomorrow. To many beers and I got the early shift tomorrow. The screen wake up issue is gone tho, I'm officially scrapping my CM7 project after seeing this working so far on my phone.:D

This kind of makes me sad still, I was still hoping to see a nice stable CM7 on this phone even with CM9. Options are always nice :)

Reactions: lMonsterl
Upvote 0
Finally got to see a boot animation and a brief glimpse of the desktop.

I swapped out the PowerVR libs for the FOP versions and used Blooddawn's HyperICS kernel.

Man that was painful, but so gratifying to see finally see that desktop.

Now I need to fix up my build and look at a few more things... egl config, kepad/touchscreen config, etc. Hopefully I can get a basic working phone today or tomorrow...

Reactions: smokinjoe1979
Upvote 0
Okay here's where I'm at right now:

Screen and touchscreen work, except for brightness. Screen comes up full brightness but after the first screen-off, it goes to full dim and stays there.

Capacitive keys work, except home. Virtual keyboard works.

Bluetooth audio works.

Cameras are almost working. Front camera is upside down, back camera has inverted colors.

Wifi is almost working. Scans but won't connect to WPA networks.

Speaker is not working for audio.

RIL does not work.

Sound does not work.

No idea about vibrator.

Did I miss anything?

Upvote 0
Okay here's where I'm at right now:

Screen and touchscreen work, except for brightness. Screen comes up full brightness but after the first screen-off, it goes to full dim and stays there.

Capacitive keys work, except home. Virtual keyboard works.

Bluetooth audio works.

Cameras are almost working. Front camera is upside down, back camera has inverted colors.

Wifi is almost working. Scans but won't connect to WPA networks.

Speaker is not working for audio.

RIL does not work.

Sound does not work.

No idea about vibrator.

Did I miss anything?

Can you upload a zip of the rom?

Ill have my kernel source up when i get home from work btw.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones