1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

ICS confirmed for Incredible 2. How long till it's rooted?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mxc1090, Mar 16, 2012.

1. mxc1090

mxc1090 Newbie

Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich Updates

Just a simple question. I assume that once it's rolled out, ROMs will start popping up. Since I know there was a problem rooting with 2.3.4, what are the chances we would have to downgrade from ICS before rooting?

Also, I'm surprised this is the first post in 'All things root' even mentioning ICS.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. valorian

valorian Android Expert

It's not in All Things Rooted but it is HERE

We will not know what the root process is going to be until ICS rolls out and developers get a chance to work with it.

3. tcraig72

tcraig72 Member

I just flashed MIUI 2.3.9 that I believe is built using ICS. Is that what your talking about?

4. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut?
    VIP Member

He's talking about after ICS is released as an official update, whether it will be rootable for those that haven't yet done it.

5. tcraig72

tcraig72 Member

Ahh....I get you now. What I have was ported over from another device I believe. What's the recommendation on getting the update or not? Should I get it if I'm root on GB?

6. mxc1090

mxc1090 Newbie

Okay, thanks.

Also would like to know this...I have mine at stock, fully updated now.

__

7. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert

If you are running a custom ROM you won't get the update. The update may make it harder to void your warranty by rooting. I have ICS running on my phone now in a dual boot set up. Most people don't need to root this phone because it runs great stock. The ICS update is probably at least six months away.

valorian likes this.
  8. valorian

valorian Android Expert

So long as your phone has not been rooted, once Verizon starts sending out the update you will get a notification it's ready to download. You'll want to find a WiFi to connect to as this will likely be a large file to download.

If you root before the update is sent out you will have to wait for a developer to release an ICS ROM. You will not be able to do the OTA update from Verizon. There are a couple ROMs in the works currently for this phone but are not 100% complete yet.

9. mxc1090

mxc1090 Newbie

True, but I like to be able to mess around (bootscreens, remove bloatware, custom skins etc.). Also, I would love to remove ads. I will never click on them anyway and they are annoying (and Free Android Apps Packed with Ads are Major Battery Drains | PCWorld)

Cool. I can wait to root.

10. Jman42028

Jman42028 Well-Known Member

I just rooted about a week ago. process is painless. Then, flashed my first rom, cm7. Ran great, but I wanted ICS, flashed to CM9 and I love it. Runs great.

Shouldn't be affraid of rooting. If you stick to whats posted here or at xda, and follow the threads, you will learn everything you need to know about it. These guides have the rooting process down to a science.

11. derrickdroid

derrickdroid Member

Might i ask where you got cm9?!

12. valorian

valorian Android Expert

13. supermatt9

supermatt9 Newbie

can you tell me what guide and rooting method you used?

all the guides I've seen are at least 6 months old. are they still current?

14. valorian

valorian Android Expert

The root process in this forum is the current process. You can find the links at the bottom of my signature.

15. sgiitk

sgiitk Lurker

I am bit perplexed. My Dinc2 was Froyo. I did a S-off using AlphaRevXBeta and then rooted. Later I upgraded to GB 2.3.3 again quite easy. The hboot is version 1.xxx. Now I see that China Telecom has released ICS. However, for this I have to remove S-off, unlock the bootloader, and then root. This implies reverting to Froyo, downdating the HBOOT to 0.98, then going to GB. Unlocking the bootloader somewhere, then rooting and then going ICS. A bit pain

For CM9 it says rooted and bootloader unlocked. Does an S-off with root cover this or not.

16. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut?
    VIP Member

I would wait until the VZ OTA comes out. That China bit looks to be messing up a few phones.
    When we get the VZ update, I bet it will work better and have tons of ROMs coming out based on it.
    Then we just need an O/C kernel!

HTC Droid Incredible 2 Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible 2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1450mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews