• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS delay announced for Note

mpw

Android Expert
Jan 1, 2010
the past
So today Samsung announced the new Premium Suite of software to be installed with the ICS: yay good news! ...but of course they're making this announcement just a couple of days shy of the 3month window they promised ICS in, andannouncing it will be available within 3months... maybe.

Why dothey announce shit that isn't ready FFS?!:mad:

Why dothey announce shit that isn't ready FFS?!:mad:

Basically a conflict between two departments: Engineering and Marketing. I can assure you that the developers are just as annoyed as you that the marketing guys are promoting software that is not ready yet. The reason, of course, is to generate buzz and keep people buying Notes in the prospect of getting the latest OS other than simply buying an alternative with ICS now. Just one of those things.

This whole OS upgrading thing is the only thing I hate about Android. :(

The alternatives are not much better tbh. You could live in Nokia or Blackberry land where you don't get (timely) updates either, or you can buy an iOS phone where they can make easier updates because they only need to support three or four phones (Samsung need to support many more and don't even control the OS) and end up with a me2phone.

Personally I am still happy with my phone and am not desperate for the update. My phone hardly ever misbehaves and does so much that I soon forget the issues. Oh, yeah, it is a bit laggy sometimes, but I guess that is ok because it is a telephone and not a super computer (yes, I know the SII is also a phone, but it is much smaller with a lower resolution so the processor needs to work a hell of a lot less).

Regards,
Eric Ritchie.

Upvote 0
Doesn't bother me at all.
The last GB update (LC1) made mine even faster, and smoothed out the slight lag in the app drawer.
You know good and well the first couple of releases of ICS won't be as smooth as GB is now. It will take some time to smooth out ICS.
So, for that reason, I'm not in any hurry for ICS.

Upvote 0
I've just returned to the Note after a brief spell with the HTC Sensation XE. I kind of missed it. Anyway, I really liked the way Android 2.3.4 looked on the Sensation and would love that on the Note. I'm not that keen on what Samsung do to the phone, well, some of what they do. I dont know if rooting would help me here, not entirely familiar with that arm.

Anyway, I like the look of what they have done with the Nexus, think the Roboto font is great. Hopefully they will pretty much do the same for the Note, but obviously it'll be the Premier Suite with all the additions.

On another note, I had the SE Xperia X10, and what a nightmare that was, new phone that shipped with an old Android version. Took them (I think) 18 months to eventually get an update out. I have never seen so much hatred for a phone manufacturer before.

I wish companies (all of them) would have the product almost ready, in final Beta versions and then announce that this will roll out in the next month. 3 months is too vague, you're always hanging on waiting and waiting for something, and it never comes. With the SE Android update, they kept saying, in the next 3 months, and it was put back and put back and put back. Such hatred.

Anyway, apologies, gone off on a bit of a tangent.

Upvote 0
I wish companies (all of them) would have the product almost ready, in final Beta versions and then announce that this will roll out in the next month. 3 months is too vague, you're always hanging on waiting and waiting for something, and it never comes. With the SE Android update, they kept saying, in the next 3 months, and it was put back and put back and put back. Such hatred.

I do take your point, but I would have hated to have this phone, which works perfectly well for me, delayed for 5+ months (it was released in November 2011).

The Nexus is a Google experience phone, so it does not have the UI extensions that the Note/SII etc. have, just the bare bones ICS. So, I fear that the look and feel will be different on the Note. I still hope for it to be smoother and sexier, but I will wait and see what comes.

Regards,
Eric Ritchie.

Upvote 0
The Nexus is a Google experience phone, so it does not have the UI extensions that the Note/SII etc. have, just the bare bones ICS. So, I fear that the look and feel will be different on the Note. I still hope for it to be smoother and sexier, but I will wait and see what comes.

Yep, I thought about that after posting. However, we can live in hope. I'm kind of hoping they think it looks good and apply it to the Note.

Upvote 0
A while ago they announced it would be delayed and would be out in the "2nd quarter". :( Plus to make things more confusing, does that mean the European version, the U.S. version (AT&T)? This whole OS upgrading thing is the only thing I hate about Android. :(
International version. ICS for the ATT version will have to go through ATT first, which will add many months to the process.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones