1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General ICS discussion thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by s_special, Jul 13, 2012.

1. rivercat123

rivercat123 Member
    None

Oct 16, 2009
    Clearwater, Fl
    The only lock screen option I see under security is the one that has the 9 dots and you create your own lock pattern. If you know the path to take from the security menu please pass it on. Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Android Expert
    None

Jul 12, 2012
    Android uses the Linux kernel, which is the thing that works the CPU. The Linux kernel already has superb SMP support, so I don't think you'll see any really radical performance improvements from newer Android releases that have newer Linux kernel releases. I do know that a long awaited giant spinlock code change was made in one of the 3.x.x kernels. However this change was more to make kernel development easier, and not to address any performance issues.

I hope that helps.

3. Speed Daemon

None

Jul 12, 2012
    Remember that many of us are forcing our upgrades, before Sprint planned on having to support us. It's not exactly fair for an early adopter to expect 1st level techs to be up to speed with them. On that note, you're probably better off asking for the 1st level tech to escalate your call right away to a higher level tech. That'll save both of you unnecessary friction.

EDIT: Oops, should have read ahead.

4. Speed Daemon

None

Jul 12, 2012
    My phone came with a 1800mAh Samsung brand battery out of the box. Based on ads I've read for "high capacity" batteries with only 1650 and 1700mAh ratings, I'm guessing that the first SII batteries were less than 1650mAh.

My Sprint brand second battery is rated nominally at 1750mAh, and mentions 1800mAh in a way that suggests that Sprint doesn't want to call theirs a true 1800mAh battery, which is telling. That's usually an indicator that some capacity claims are being fudged a bit. IME my LONG experience with lithium battery chemistries, you can't squeeze more mAh into a package of the same size. If you want more real battery capacity, you're going to have to obey the laws of nature and buy a physically larger battery. Those batteries made by the Communists that claim to have radically more mAh in the same size package are almost certainly false advertising.

There are legitimate higher capacity batteries for SII phones that came with 1750/1800mAh batteries. You can tell they're legit because they come with a replacement back to make room for the larger size of the battery. That's the only way you're going to get more real capacity IME, by making room for it. All of my higher capacity video camera (and previous cellphone) batteries have a unique form factor that fits their storage capacity. Same thing for car batteries etc.

Read carefully when ordering the big batteries with replacement camera backs. Some say they don't work with the Sprint version. If the one you see doesn't specifically say that it's for a Sprint SII "Epic" phone, I'd call and ask before ordering. I'd make a note of the call and who I spoke to, in case they weren't being honest. Caveat emptor.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest
    None
  6. harrychimp71

harrychimp71 Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ever since the ICS update, the internet browsers (whether it's the stock browser, Dolphin, or Google Chrome) do not reformat text information to fit onto the screen display when the page is resized. I have looked to no avail in the phone settings and within each browsers' app settings to see if this feature can be reconfigured. Any help would be much appreciated.

7. CoachEVO

CoachEVO Well-Known Member
    None

May 14, 2010
    Teacher/Coach
    Illinois
    Speed, I understand your post, but after spending way too much time last night trying to figure this out, I did run across multiple people talking about the wifi issue. The continuous search is the big issue, at least for me as it is totally draining the battery. The fix was to turn off the Sprint optimizer, but there is no way to do that with the iteration of ICS for the Galaxy SII...at least not yet. That is the culprit for me. I know that as I turn on wifi, it locks on my home signal, and still continues to search, like others a few months ago pointed out. I think it is just some sort of issue that will get resolved once Sprint hears from people like me in order to make them aware. I do agree with you that there are other issues that you so rightly point out with a new system that people forget about, but in this case, at lease for me, I know it's the wifi search. BTW...you are awesome writing all of that! ;)

Speed Daemon likes this.
  8. bencurt24

bencurt24 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    setting-security-screen lock- then it gives you options and one is face lock.

9. Method760

Method760 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 6, 2010
    The 760 SoCal
    i updated yesterday battery seems pretty normal compare to GB, and i had Wifi on since early this morning and still going, so far i liked the feel a little faster, so far so good. and yes i took the battery out right after the update and i turn it off at night and left it charging while off.

10. Speed Daemon

None

Jul 12, 2012
    There's no doubt that it's an issue; I'm not trying to say it's all better now. I thought that my problem had settled down, but it turns out that my Wi-Fi got turned off, which is why I stopped seeing the constant connect messages.

My battery test was intended to isolate that one issue: the one with poor battery life.

I don't know what can be done to live with the Wi-Fi problem until someone issues a patch or work-around. But I have a strong motivator to keep looking for a solution! ;)

Thanks for the thanks, BTW. Thank YOU for your own hard work!

11. Ramenbot

Ramenbot Lurker
    None

Jul 17, 2012
    OK, I have an interesting problem...after updating, the UI looks exactly the same. It definitely updated, it says in the "about phone," and I can use Chrome and all that now, but the new design isn't there. Same old buttons and menus. Any ideas?

12. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest
    None
    Are you looking for the native ICS home screen? Open up Sprint ID and switch from Samsung to My ID.

13. Ramenbot

Ramenbot Lurker
    None

Jul 17, 2012
    Ah, I see. Never even used IDs before.

14. Epicblaze

Epicblaze Member
    None

Jan 27, 2012
    U S of A
    19 hours and some change;

Battery is at 77% :D

15. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest
    None
    Well don't you suck :D

Do you have wifi turned on? If so, are you connected to a wifi access point or just leave wifi turned on but connected to 3g?

16. bk11222

bk11222 Member
    None

Feb 22, 2012
    los angeles
    the first few days on ICS my battery life was horrible. i lost 10% in an hour sending 4 very brief texts. an hour and a half later i was down to 74% and just used my ATT maps/gps twice for maybe 4 minutes. since that time my battery life has been outstanding. i did one factory reset and one evening allowed my battery to go down to 6% before recharging. i'm losing 1% of battery on standby.

i should mention i discontinued using noLED and starting using that new tesla notification app on my widget locker. and i also uninstalled smart screen on pro. smart screen was a major drain on the battery.

my biggest issue is that i can not do the new screenshot method with the volume/power keys. anyone else having this issue?

17. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest
    None
    Have you tried power + home? Hold them down for a couple seconds. I don't know if the ATT version of the Galaxy S II is different than the Sprint version...

bk11222 likes this.
  18. Epicblaze

Epicblaze Member
    None

Jan 27, 2012
    U S of A
    My 3G connectivity is pretty damn good between work and home, especially at home - WAY BETTER than AT&T (who I ditched for Sprint).
    As such, I get responsive functionality to app-data updates on 3G; only when I need to download Play updates, do interwebs hot & heavy or download other large-ish files do I turn on WiFi - so to answer your question - WiFi is only on manually, during peak demand.

When I manually turn on WiFi, my 3G connection goes away...either or Brochacho. Both "on" would be a total waster! :smokingsomb:

19. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest
    None
    OK, so that probably explains why you are getting good battery life. With wifi on (and connected to a access point), that is where the battery drain comes into play.

20. davis.rob

davis.rob Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 20, 2011
    Anyone else seeing a problem with music skipping occasionally after the ICS update. Seems like I notice it most in my car where I'm connected via Bluetooth. Happens with both the Music app and Winamp.

21. marnie17

marnie17 Lurker
    None

Jul 17, 2012
    Like an idiot, I updated my phone today when prompted. Nothing is working correctly. I cannot text by swipe (when I tap on the blinking cursor in the text box, nothing happens.) I get the message "Swype - Open of EnglishUS failed! What does that mean? I have had to charge the battery twice today, my e-mail is completely reformatted, a voice tells me who is calling everytime my phone rings......HELP!!! Can I uninstall this update? Can anyone help me???

22. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest
    None
    For Swype, from the home screen, go to menu --> settings --> applications and find Swype. Clear the data for Swype. For the battery, that is an issue, most people report it sucks with ICS. Not sure about the voice telling you about calls, but sounds like you have "drive mode" on or something like that.... As far as I know no easy way to uninstall the update. I guess you could flash back to GB, but that would wipe your phone clean.

23. Epicblaze

Epicblaze Member
    None

Jan 27, 2012
    U S of A
    No argument here.

WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS are all power hogs.
    If I am serving music or using navigation, I always try to stay plugged in.
    Also worth mentioning is that using "good" headphones with 40mm or 50mm drivers will also deplete a battery pretty quickly. It's hard to stay plugged in when doing the music on the go thing, but it is what it is and I live with it...that's why I have a pair of power efficient buds for extended travel gigs.

24. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Android Enthusiast
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    Group Sales Associate/Front Desk Clerk
    Washington (state)
    In order to change the lockscreen weather info, go to menu>settings>display>weather settings. :)

25. Nicolecs09

Nicolecs09 Lurker
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    i installed the ICS onto my Skyrocket... Now i cant use my phone... WHY? it keeps freezing and the screen keeps going black and turning back on. Anyone else having issues..