1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

ICS discussion thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by s_special, Jul 13, 2012.

1. vickers500

vickers500 Lurker

Post #1

Advertisement

2. MikeNJ

MikeNJ Newbie

So I did some testing over the weekend while I was home solo.

Full charge, direct off AC power, wifi NOT enabled, GPS NOT enabled, Silent/no vibrate : a bit over 10 hours mostly idle (I responded to 2 or three text messages, plus whatever 3G was used to refresh my weather widget or autocheck updates via Play...) = less than 50% battery used

Full charge direct off AC power, wifi IS enabled, GPS NOT enabled, silent/no vibrate : a bit over 3 hours mostly idle (a few text messages, which take longer to send via WiFi than they do 3G, go figure) = over 60% battery used

Full charge direct off AC power, wifi NOT enabled, GPS IS enabled, 3G data being used (I was geocaching) : 4 hours with new GPS locks every 30-60 minutes = over 75% battery used.

It still doesn't make sense that an idle WiFi connection would use more power than otherwise.

At this point, it looks like a factory reset would really benefit me, but I'll need to wait until after next weekend, as I'm coordinating a surprise birthday party for my fiancee :)

3. concealer404

concealer404 Newbie

FINALLY got ICS last week.

Hate it.

Battery life is beyond terrible.

Can't upload pictures from the phone to Picasa anymore, they all fail. Can't tell if it's Sprint garbage network or something to do with ICS, but on Gingerbread, "only" 50% failed.

Extremely irritating.

4. concealer404

concealer404 Newbie

Oh, and i keep getting pop ups that say "Unable to load events"

WTF does that mean? Why is it doing this?

5. Epicblaze

Epicblaze Member

Been several weeks and so far so good.
    The factory reset solved all reigning battery drain issues.
    Sort of weird not knowing what was what with that but at the end of day, as long as it's fixed it's cool. Getting two to two & half days with moderate usage - three if I only txt and limit my call usage. Not many phones can do that...

GPS still requires a "restart" when I want to navigate but it's solid once locked.

ICS is cool by me...

6. concealer404

concealer404 Newbie

Sigh. Pandora not working either.

Pretty much nothing works on the phone except making calls, GO SMS, and Dolphin Browser.

How stupid.

7. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Android Enthusiast

@Concealer -- Try a factory reset. It sucks to set the phone back up, but it is likely to fix a lot of the problems yo are experiencing.

8. concealer404

concealer404 Newbie

I don't lose files doing that, correct? Just programs?

Also found that GPS doesn't work, can't find a satellite, and that it will drain 25% battery in 10 minutes trying to find a satellite.

Not real handy when trying to make a 1.5 hour drive across the city in traffic to an unfamiliar location.

9. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Android Enthusiast

you will lose anything that is NOT on your external SD card. But, with Google backing up the majority of your stuff, it's easy enough to get it all back on the phone. The game saves are the hardest ones to lose. ;)

10. renmedy

renmedy Newbie

After upgrading to FH13, I noticed my battery last longer

11. geekstergirl

geekstergirl Lurker

I had the same issue with Picasa, then discovered it was due to having multiple (2) gmail accounts on my phone. Is that the case with you?

12. geekstergirl

geekstergirl Lurker

I've had ICS for about a month or so now, and have developed a dislike for my phone which was not the case before the update. Lag time when pressing buttons, black screens ALOT, and just not very zippy when moving from one thing to the next. I did a factory reset right after the update, leaving my SD contents intact. Still no better. I then performed a second factory reset and this time formatted the card as well. Battery life improved a bit, but the hanging and lag time still lingers on. So frustrated. I can no longer take a photo on the fly because by the time the camera opens, whatever I was photographing is gone, or the moment is over. I have never wanted to throw my phone as often as I do now! haha