1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General ICS Display Banding

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gordonwd, Jan 12, 2012.

1. gordonwd

gordonwd Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    To try to figure out the random reboots after the ICS update, I did a factory reset and am now running ICS with no added apps. It did reboot once about 15 seconds after it came up for almost the first time, but has not since then.

HOWEVER, I'm now seeing another reported problem in that the display occasionally breaks up with wide horizontal bands across it, which sometimes disappear on their own or if I scroll the screen. Very annoying!

Any others seeing this issue? I assume it's not related to the reboots, but maybe if something in the display drivers or h/w is not quite right...

I'm getting close to sending this thing back to Amazon for replacement, assuming that by the time I get the next one, it will be later in the production run and maybe fixed up in some way.

Advertisement

2. Spdy

Spdy Member
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    yeah im having the same problems..it seems to be a software glitch as i have seen other users report the exact same problem. SO there might be a fix coming but im not sure.

3. golfernut78

golfernut78 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    same problem here. no consistency to it. doesn't do it while playing games or watching movies.

4. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Android Expert
    None

Oct 17, 2009
    I know it sounds crazy but reset it again.....it seems you got somewhere the last time you did it....do it again....

5. gordonwd

gordonwd Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    I talked to ASUS support today for this and the random-reboot problem. They had me RMA it to their service center. It will be interesting to see if I get the same one back or if it will have a different serial no.

6. Digital Legend

None

Jun 21, 2010
    Male
    Senior NOC Technician
    Las Vegas
  7. golfernut78

None

Dec 28, 2011
    good to see they are working on it. i will say that mine has decresed the last few days, and when it happens, if you swipe the screen it goes away.

8. Protato

Protato Lurker
    None

Jan 18, 2012
    Yeah I'm having the same issues here. Unpacked the tablet and dock night before last, spent yesterday charging them both while i was at work, and installed the update. Straight away I've had the banding issue, consistently. I can't work out if it's dependent on which apps are being used. Happens both in the browser and the settings menu, so i don't think it's app dependent.

Anyway, I'm just starting to look for a solution to this issue, I'll keep watch and if something comes up I'll post it back here.

9. EasyEEE

EasyEEE Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Military Pilot
    Mobile, AL
    Are you guys able to capturea screen shot or is it just too jacked up to do so?

I did notice some odd ball effects with the YouTube app when I lost WiFi connectivity today at work... which was first time I picked up tablet at work and it wasn't connected to WiFi since Dec 22.

10. Digital Legend

None

Jun 21, 2010
    Male
    Senior NOC Technician
    Las Vegas
    here is a screenshot

Attached Files:

11. Digital Legend

None

Jun 21, 2010
    Male
    Senior NOC Technician
    Las Vegas
    Just found an update on my tablet.....it appears to have fixed my banding problem!

:)

Attached Files:

andygu3 likes this.
  12. EasyEEE

EasyEEE Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Military Pilot
    Mobile, AL

WOW.. That is jacked up lol glad its fixed. When I viewed your picture via file manager (does downloads app work right for anyone?) my back button got all distorted as did left side of screen. Rebooted, all is well. Think the graphics drivers still need some work.

13. golfernut78

None

Dec 28, 2011
    mine has quit banding - even before the update last night. haven't had any banding since last friday/thursday. seems odd that it would just disappear on its own.