1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

ICS+Dolphin Browser+Amazon Prime=Yes

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jacksmyname, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Well-Known Member

Hi all.
    I have an Amazon Prime membership. I also have a Logitech Revue Google TV box that I use to watch movies with Prime. My home network is hard wired, and everything works great.
    When I bought our Tabs, I also bought an Apple Airport Express to provide a wireless access point for them. Yeah, I know, it's Apple, but it was a cinch to install, and it hasn't skipped a beat since I installed it in March.
    The only thing I had an issue with was trying to watch a movie from Amazon. It would stutter, lock up, etc. I chalked it up to the Airport Express. Works great, but just isn't up to streaming (but everything else works fine).
    After updating to ICS, I installed Dolphin Browser. It's really nice, seems faster than the stock browser.
    I tried watching a movie from Amazon on Dolphin, and it works quite well! Not perfect, but still quite watchable.
    Using the stock browser, still a no-go.
    The 2nd generation Airport Express came out recently, and has dual band capability (I have the first generation). That's now on my to-buy list, as it should make streaming even better.
    Just another nice discovery with ICS I thought I'd share.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Just to let you know, the dual bands are 2.4 and 5.0 GHz frequencies and only is of added value if you have 5GHz compatible devices in your home. Still the added headroom and processing power will surely help with heavy loads.

I needed a new router some time ago after upgrading my internet from 3mbps to 75mbps speeds. The old router couldn't handle the traffic nor speed. I wanted something solid, reliable, and capable of handling my traffic needs. I considered the Airport Extreme (Express has 100mbit ports) even though I don't like Apple products as it had good performance and reviews. But I went with the less expensive but equally as good Asus RT-N56U dual band router. It's been rock solid and aside from firmware updates from Asus it hasn't been rebooted nor turned off for more than 9 months since I bought it. As someone else put it, the thing is a beast and has handled everything I've thrown at it, including 75mbps downloads, Netflix, 24/7 torrents at 1mbps up, 2 gigabit ethernet connections, plus 7 WiFi devices, all at the same time and not a hiccup.

I just wish I had bought it sooner.
    :D

3. BradleyED

BradleyED Newbie

I've watched Amazon Prime videos on my still GB Tab, and also on my Froyo Motorola Triumph with the Sharp ROM installed using the Dolphin browser. It isn't an ICS thing...

4. artbytes

artbytes Android Enthusiast

I think that the reason Dolphin browser works is that you can set it to emulate a desktop browser, instead of a mobile browser. I think I remember something about the fact that Amazon Prime is set not to work with mobile devices.

5. Jacksmyname

Thanks for the replies, all.
    In doing some reading, the 5G band isn't enabled in the Tab.
    There are some files that can be edited to enable it, but the tab has to be rooted to do so.
    Been doing some reading on how to root but not there yet.
    I'll probably try a new router first.
    Although watching Amazon movies on my Tab isn't really a must.
    I have a pretty nice system in the living room for movies.
    Thanks again everyone!

6. Jacksmyname

Thanks for this info. Checked it out on Amazon and it's now in my cart.
    Question: Is it really easy to set up?
    What I liked about the Airport Express was that it was a cinch to set up, took 15 minutes.
    I know zero about wireless, so I need a router that even I can get going.
    Thanks.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

The Airport is a simpler device with less configuration options, but the Asus RT-N56U works out of the box with most settings already enabled for proper function.

There are a few options I suggest you enable, go into Advanced, Wireless, and give your network a unique name, enable authentication (WPA2-personal is good), use a strong unique password that can't be guessed, and that will keep your network secure.

That's all you need to do initially and it should work great.

The second thing is more complex and not essential but it enhances security a lot. Under the same Wireless section, click on the Wireless MAC Filter tab set it to Accept and enter the MAC addresses of all your WiFi devices. This prevents any devices OTHER than yours from accessing the network. That enhances WiFi security a lot as it keeps other devices from even connecting, nevermind accessing anything.

You can then either do the same for the 5.0GHz band or simply disable the 5 band if you don't need it. That should be it for security.

There are more options to customize the router, like setting a different LAN address and such, but it's not essential, just more personal. The rest of the settings are good to go.

Jacksmyname likes this.
  8. Jacksmyname

^^^Thanks again!

9. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

No problem...if you have a specific question when setting it up, you can ask here and I'll try to help. It's such a great router that I have recommended it several times and everyone has reported back that they're very impressed with the performance.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews