• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ICS firmware upgrade

Cosim

Lurker
Aug 3, 2012
Hello, I am fairly new here and to this all "root n' boot" thing, so mainly I dont have a good understanging of how the manual firmware will affect my tab.

My Galaxy tab is 10.1 /GT-P7500/(Baseband version)P7500XXKL4/(Build Number)HTJ85B P7500XWLA1

Ever since the new firmware update has gone public, I am itching for an upgrade, but so far the firmware is not aviable in my country, altough I've read that there is this program called "Odin" that let's you manually upgrade your galaxy tab.

The reason why I am hesitating to do so, is that I do not know how will it affect my tab itself. Since I do not know what Baseband version or Build Number means, could some one explain what would happen if I manually upgraded my tab using the recently released ICS upgrade (Country/Region is Italy)? (Considering that my region is Baltic)

Thank you for your support

My Galaxy tab is 10.1 /GT-P7500/(Baseband version)P7500XXKL4/(Build Number)HTJ85B P7500XWLA1
You have the P7500 which is the 3G cellular model which can connect over mobile networks, as well as WiFi. I have the same model here in Canada running on the Rogers (yuck!) mobile network.

The ICS firmware available online is for the P7510 which is WiFi ONLY, so the two are likely not compatible. Best case scenario, it installs and you loose 3G access. Worst case it bricks your tablet. Most likely case is it simply won't install when it checks the model/version, and fails with an error code.

In other words, you're going to have to wait.
:)

Reactions: GirlFriday
Upvote 0
The ICS firmware available online is for the P7510 which is WiFi ONLY, so the two are likely not compatible. Best case scenario, it installs and you loose 3G access. Worst case it bricks your tablet. Most likely case is it simply won't install when it checks the model/version, and fails with an error code.

Hi, I believe this is incorrect. I have the P7500 and have tried it with CM9 nightlies ROM, I've also tried the CM10 Jellybean ROM and both of them work with 3G. The camera doesn't work with any of the ICS/JB roms. I'm currently running the AOKP milestone 6 ROM which is working fine.

There are videos around that will show you how to root the tab using odin. This then installs the clockwork recovery mod which in turn allows you to flash new roms. It's really simple to do as long as you make sure you have the correct rom for your device. And also remember to backup your device first.

Upvote 0
Hi, I believe this is incorrect. I have the P7500 and have tried it with CM9 nightlies ROM, I've also tried the CM10 Jellybean ROM and both of them work with 3G. The camera doesn't work with any of the ICS/JB roms.
I was talking about Samsung ROMs. That's the CM builds from Google's source code, not the official updates available from Samsung sources. That's why the camera doesn't work, Google sources do not have drivers for the camera hardware yet. Until the devs extract the drivers from an ICS source, if possible, the camera will never work in any non-Samsung updates.
There are videos around that will show you how to root the tab using odin. This then installs the clockwork recovery mod which in turn allows you to flash new roms. It's really simple to do as long as you make sure you have the correct rom for your device. And also remember to backup your device first.
Been there, done that. Sort of...I installed CWM but did not root. I did a full wipe of the device (system/cache/dalvik), had CM10 Jelly Bean installed, but in 2 days a few apps crashed several times, and twice it locked up my Tab requiring a hard reboot. I wiped again and put JB back in, same issues.

So now I'm back to Samsung's official v3.2 Honeycomb from backup. I really like JB, but it's useless to me if it crashes while surfing the net or replying to email. I'll wait for a stable build or for Samsung to release an update.
:(

Upvote 0
In any case, will the difference in regions affect my tab in any way?
Nah, just little issues like it will default to UK english instead of US, UK spelling dictionary instead of US, non-US region for the Play store, etc. Nothing to really worry about. If I can get my hands on that version, I may give it a shot myself as it will remove all the Rogers Wireless carrier crap I don't use nor want.
:D

Upvote 0
Thanks, but I did a search last night and already found it. I used Odin to flash the firmware and it seems to be working great. ICS is definitely faster and smoother than HC, and I like the overall appearance. 3G radio works fine, WiFi and Bluetooth all work well. I'll be installing my apps today and play with them to test them out thoroughly. It certainly seems a lot more stable than the CM10 builds anyway, and the camera works!
:D

Upvote 0
Did the firmware upgrade last night. So far I am fairly happy with the new version of android. Too bad most of the information got wiped out.

So far the android is working very smoothly :)
Yup, still very happy with this official Samsung ICS update. It got rid of the carrier bloatware and runs very well. All features are working as expected, and all apps are working. A nice change is the "quicklaunch" button can be customized for other tasks rather than just a screenshot feature now, which is appreciated. There is really only one complaint I have so far and that's the keyboard which is white only. I prefer the dark Android keyboard from HC but Samsung did a good job with this one so I'm not too miffed and I can learn to live with it.
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Damn you guys are lucky, I'm running GT-P5710 and no luck... gotta keep waiting...
Decided to take a google and easily found a thread with a link on XDA to the official Samsung ICS v4.0.4 update for the P7510 WiFi model:

[rom] finally 4.0.4 p7510xxlph uk - xda-developers

That has the link and info on using Odin to flash the update. Make sure you read the thread as you should wipe data/cache first from recovery menu, and if you backup make sure you put the backup on your computer as Odin will wipe the entire Tab during flashing. You also need to put the computer into download mode from recovery to flash with Odin. As long as you follow all the steps, it should work fine.
:)

Reactions: Arms_Reach
Upvote 0
I'd like to know why so many people say everything is wiped out during flashing. I did it just a couple of days ago, using odin. I even forgot to check "USB Debugging" and it still worked just fine. Also, all my apps and photos were still there and everything ran fine. Is this uncommon?

Same here.

But I have a question.....
Is it possible to flash back to HC 3.2 over ICS?
While ICS is really nice, I'm having some issues here. Not major, but annoying, so I think I may go back to 3.2 for now.

Upvote 0
Same here.

While ICS is really nice, I'm having some issues here. Not major, but annoying, so I think I may go back to 3.2 for now.

You were answered in another thread so stop spamming them all with this question. Asking once in one thread will get you a response. Sometimes you need to be patient but someone will help you.

Upvote 0
Same here.
What issues? Perhaps we can fix them?

As for going back to HC, if you have a CWM backup or can find a v3.2 ROM then you should be able to go back. You'll need to flash CWM first to be able to access the custom Recovery, wipe everything including Dalvik, then flash the HC ROM. I don't think you can just flash v3.2 over ICS.

Upvote 0
What issues? Perhaps we can fix them?

As for going back to HC, if you have a CWM backup or can find a v3.2 ROM then you should be able to go back. You'll need to flash CWM first to be able to access the custom Recovery, wipe everything including Dalvik, then flash the HC ROM. I don't think you can just flash v3.2 over ICS.

Found the right file, flashed, hung on Samsung glowing logo, went to recovery, did the wipe thing, all is now well.
I really like ICS but for some reason I had some quirks that drove me a bit nuts.
Thanks again for all your help.

Upvote 0
Found the right file, flashed, hung on Samsung glowing logo, went to recovery, did the wipe thing, all is now well.
I really like ICS but for some reason I had some quirks that drove me a bit nuts.
Thanks again for all your help.
If you liked ICS, try flashing CWM and doing a Dalvik wipe along with data and cache, then install ICS again and see if it's quirky. I find a reset of the OS fixes most issues and mine is working great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones