1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General ICS Guide

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BABUkb2, Oct 21, 2011.

1. BABUkb2

BABUkb2 Newbie
    None

Oct 13, 2011
    Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich complete guide - SlashGear

havent seen this posted and thought it was a pretty good detailed overview of the ICS features, i know all of this stuff was mentioned during unpacked, but seems this article has more details, for example...

during unpacked it was said that the on screen buttons can disappear to allow for full screen applications, i understood this as the buttons would literally disappear and the app expands to take advantage of the full 4.65" screen, from reading this article i found...

"This area at the bottom of your display is called the System Bar and the buttons are called virtual buttons. These buttons are present

Advertisement

2. dmodert66

dmodert66 Android Expert
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    Project Manager
    Southern California
    I disagree, but only in 1 application. Full screen video. During the presentation, they showed full screen video encompassing the entire screen (including the buttons as far as I can tell). I could be wrong so feel free to point that out if so. I was kind of tired during the presentation (watched it live). Now many people wouldn't call video an application, but we are using an app to view the video (yes, I know...I'm splitting hairs for the fun of it :D )

3. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    Please read here for the answer about the buttons:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...ture-something-you-read-check-here-first.html

4. BABUkb2

BABUkb2 Newbie
    None

Oct 13, 2011

i have alrdy read that, and after reading more sources and the link i posted im still unsure as to how it will work as the wording is tricky, in the article you quoted again it says the menu will hide, now whether that means hide as in dim the menu buttons like my article stated, or hide as in go away completely and allow the app to fully expand on the whole screen, well im still not sure cuz u technically always want a home button so ur able to quickly exit the app, and i know ur posted thread does state it will come back once user input is received, but again from the videos i saw and what i am reading it looks like the menu dims, doesn't expand the app to full 4.65" screen, but once user input is received the menu buttons un-dim to become visible again

found maybe any videos online to show the buttons not dimming but totally disappearing and the app expanding over the whole screen?
    that would put this issue at rest finally :)

5. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Saint Inigoes, MD
    The screen is talked about at ~14 minutes in.
    Watch the Entire Galaxy Nexus and Android 4.0 Press Briefing [Video]

The buttons aren't there during videos.

6. Bnice

Bnice Guest
    None
Tags: