• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS Hotspot SSID Problems

I have the LG P930 (USA: Nitro, Canada: Optimus 4G LTE). My Canadian carrier, (Bell Mobility), finally last month released ICS version 4.0.4 and I upgraded from 2.3.5.

Since the upgrade, when I activate my hotspot, the name of my hotspot (SSID) does not display properly on the computers which see it. The computers see "Other Network", not the name I gave it.

When I "Hide" the SSID, the "Other Network" disappears from the available connections list. When I switch it back to "Show", "Other Network" reappears.

I've tried setting the hotspot setting on all levels, "Open", "WPA PSK", "WPA2 PSK" and the problem remains, it will not properly show the actual name of the hotspot.

When this happens, on the computer connecting, it has to enter the name of the hotspot as it appears on the phone which in essence, that creates a secure hotspot when I wish to have it as an "Open". The computer will not connect unless it enters the actual proper SSID name I assigned the hotspot on the phone.

This problem wasn't present on Android version 2.3.5. This only started happening with ICS version 4.0.4. And no, the phone is not rooted nor do I wish to root it until the 1 year warranty is up in 6 months.

So, how do I fix this??

Guess I'm not going to get any satisfaction here am I? :(

Hi Baseman. I'm sorry, I'm not sure what to tell you but hang in there. One of the Guides, mikedt, is trying to find you some more knowledgeable help.

I don't know if it will help with this, but have you tried to do a factory reset? That can cure some problems after an OS upgrade but I really don't know if it will help with this.

Do you have a password for this connection? Have you tried setting it with no password?

Upvote 0
Hi Baseman. I'm sorry, I'm not sure what to tell you but hang in there. One of the Guides, mikedt, is trying to find you some more knowledgeable help.

Thank you :)

I don't know if it will help with this, but have you tried to do a factory reset? That can cure some problems after an OS upgrade but I really don't know if it will help with this.

Yes I have. Wasn't much fun getting things back to the way I like them either LOL

Do you have a password for this connection? Have you tried setting it with no password?

When I went with the secure choice of hotspot setups I did have to set the password. But when I left it Open there was no option to insert a password. When set in the Open or secure connection state the connecting computer has to type the name of the hotspot exactly as I've entered the name in the phone otherwise it fails to connect or move on to entering the password.

I appreciate the reply. If I take a few days to reply during the week it's due to me being a transport driver and I frequently data roam so $6/MB isn't worth turning on my data until I'm with my home carrier. So please be patient.

Upvote 0
Are you using the carriers hotspot function? Perhaps ask them for help. The problem might be on their end.

No clue. I've never heard of a carriers hotspot function. I'm finding the hotspot function in the system settings/more/portable wi-fi hot spot. From there the SSID can be named and the security settings can be created or turned off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones