1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[ICS] ICS Kernel Development Thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by EagerestWolf, Dec 17, 2012.

1. EagerestWolf

EagerestWolf Android Enthusiast

So, someone correct me if I am wrong, but to get a fully working ICS ROM, the only thing we are lacking is a kernel. Am I right? I mean, I am working on an ICS Kernel for the Connect, but I don't wanna waste my time if it isn't going to work. Also, the root tool for Linux and UNIX will be up later tonight. I was having some problems getting ROM Manager to recognize CWM Touch, plus for some reason, it did not like adb, gotta love C++ [​IMG]

EDIT: The root tool will be up tomorrow, so I can make some modifications and add full Windows (via Cygwin) and Mac support (since Apple is dumb and make everything diffuicult).

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Vyrus69

Vyrus69 Android Enthusiast

As far as I can tell you are correct, a good kernel along with the ROM that is being worked on might be the trick :)

3. justenjoy

justenjoy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that's the main thing we need right now is an Ics Kernal.

4. EagerestWolf

Well, it is not going to be easy. I have the source code for the Lucid 4.0.3 Kernel, and I am trying to see what the Lucid Kernel needs. I mean basically, if you straight up flash the Lucid update, the only thing you really lose is 4G, so as long as I can get that working I should be okay to AOSP a flashable ROM (with my kernel of course).

5. Silverkx2000

Silverkx2000 Well-Known Member

Can we port the 4G code from Black Plague or another rom to the ICS kernel?

6. EagerestWolf

Possibly, but most likely not, because Android 2.3.x and prior are based on the Linux Kernel version 2.x; Android 3.x and newer are based on Linux Kernel Version 3.x, which brings some rather major changed to the structure of the kernel. I will not say that it is impossible though, just unlikely.

7. jpizle

jpizle Android Expert

Could you user there kernel from my motion

8. jlede

jlede Android Expert

Maybe we can use the motion code but Kim no Dev yet then it will be my side job

9. EagerestWolf

I am not certain if the motion source could be used. I need to do a board comparison of the two phones. My best bet is to use the Viper or Lucid kernel source, and use the Connect kernel as a reference, mainly for where certain things are located, and how LG coded them in GB.

10. jpizle

jpizle Android Expert

The reason I was asking is cause the connect optimizer apk works on my motion

11. jgarcia88

jgarcia88 Well-Known Member

Why Don't You Use The Source Code From The LG Viper 4G Since Is A Closer Match To The Connect.

12. EagerestWolf

Well, I did a technical comparison of the two, and it looks like I may be able to do just that. The Motion and the Connect have the same processor and the same amount of RAM. To know for sure though, I need an fstab from both a Motion (stock) and a Connect (stock), to make sure they use the same file structure (should be yaffs2, but I need to be sure). I will link to the tech specs comparison once I have hit my ten post limit, and can make links.

EDIT: Hey, this was post number 10 for me, what do ya know?

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/LG-Motion-4G,LG-Connect-4G/phones/7384,6613

13. jpizle

jpizle Android Expert

I would go back to my connect if it got ICS cause the motion is dead in the water with the locked boot loader

14. EagerestWolf

Well, I am doing the best that I can given the resources that I have. I am compiling and building on a Dell Latitude C800, with a Pentium III processor and 512MB of RAM running Ubuntu 10.04 (<--Poor setup is poor). I will however be getting a new computer in the coming weeks so that should speed me up a bit.

DirtAddsHP and Lito007 like this.
  15. kenboyles72

kenboyles72 Well-Known Member

Good to see another dev working on this phone. I hope somebody gets something new going with this phone.

16. schemppjr80

schemppjr80 Well-Known Member

Right on man good luck in ur ventures. I hope u do get it working. We have been patiently awaiting a ics build that boots up. Have u tried to get ahold of kanadia or pg to maybe help u out a little, I know they r busy with other projects but they may b able to provide some help with certain things should u need it. Just a suggestion as I don't know ur background in dev'ing. But n e way I look forward to seeing what u can do

17. EagerestWolf

Well, since I am looking at well over a month to at least get a working kernel. I am probably going to release an ICS/JB hybrid GB ROM in the next week or so.

Shatterproof likes this.
  18. EagerestWolf

I have not contacted them as of yet. I am not super familiar with dev'ing, but I am a solid desktop programmer, so that experience helps a lot. Plus Google is a wonderful resource.

19. schemppjr80

schemppjr80 Well-Known Member

I gotcha

20. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Extreme Android User

you need to compare again, Connect is a msm8660, Motion is a msm8960, completely 2 diff beast, Connect is S3 and Motion is a S4.

The kernel src from either the viper or lucid can be used, LG includes a defconfig for the connect in both, but the src isnt complete for it to compile. Most likely due to missing elements specific for the Connect.

The Data issue prolly isnt kernel related at all, mostly likely OS side or it and RIL related. ;)

21. jgarcia88

The Motion And The Connect Don't Have The Same Processor. The Connect Has A : Snapdragon 3 MSM8660 And The Motion Has A: Snapdragon 4 MSM8960.

22. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Extreme Android User

didnt I just say that lol

23. jgarcia88

Lol! I Know. Probably As I Was Typing You Posted.

24. EagerestWolf

I see what you are . That is my fault, I should have also looked up the board on Wikipedia. Oh well, I will still see what I can .

25. averagewonder

averagewonder Android Enthusiast

see its stuff like this that makes me wish i knew anything about Android Dev.

LG Connect 4G Forum

The LG Connect 4G release date was February 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

February 2012
Release Date
Reviews