1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General ICS is available for Galaxy Note

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hajimeabc, Apr 30, 2012.

1. hajimeabc

hajimeabc Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 20, 2012
    Hi, looks like Samsung Canada has released ICS for the Galaxy Note.

Samsung Canada begins rollout of ICS today -- Engadget

Can Galaxy Note users from other countries download and install it on their devices? Not sure why the announcement is from Samsung Canada, rather than Samsung worldwide.

Has anybody tried it? Does it solve some of the issues such as lag, poor video playback of dark images, etc. Your shared experience appreciated.

Advertisement

2. yegon

yegon Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 29, 2011
    Interesting. I have an unlocked UK version, I take it I could do a manual update if I wanted too?

3. ifb-online

ifb-online Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 29, 2010
    Male
    Journalist and publisher
    Hemel Hempstead, UK
    No NFC for the International version of the Note, ah well.

I would think that if you feel you have a problem with playback of dark videos you have the screen brightness too high.

No lag or performance problems with my Note on 2.3.6 - are you using Touch Wiz or have you installed a replacement launcher (which is likely not hardware accelerated).

Ian

4. salla43

salla43 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 2, 2012
  5. darkmav

darkmav Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    Isn't it possible to just restore the phone back to the factory Gingerbread even after rooting and installing ICS using that ROM? In that case, how does the warranty get voided?

6. touringhaggis

touringhaggis Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 29, 2012
    Male
    DevOps Engineer
    Germany
    Sorry to be negative, but tbis article does not say that the Note will get an update today. Just one of the phones listed will apparently get the update with the "rest" to follow in Q2. Since the SII already has the update, this does not add any new information.

Back to the patient waiting...

Regards,
    Eric Ritchie.

7. salla43

salla43 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    Im no expert. Just wanted to get the ics to overcome the lousy copy text which is on 2.3.6, which was making business use of the phone intolerable. From what i understand the installing of the software involves some software called ODIN which registers your phone as having been tampered with. The developers go on a lot about ODIN COUNT, which counts how many updates you have made to the phone. I think this data is somehow related to samsung, and their stats.

I have also read however that you can revert back to the unrooted version of your phone if you want. But i think the damage will have been done (ie your phone will have been logged as having been tampered with) if you use ODIN.

8. ifb-online

ifb-online Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 29, 2010
    Male
    Journalist and publisher
    Hemel Hempstead, UK
    It's funny how history repeats. It only feels like yesterday when all us HTC Desire users were wondering, hoping for and waiting for Gingerbread. Now all us Note users are impatiently waiting for ICS :D

Ian

9. Bodestone

Bodestone Android Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2012
    There is something called the flash counter which counts how many times the phone has been flashed. If that counter has been incremented this is how they tell. There are methods of flashing without incrementing this (AndroidNZ has a tutorial for the Note). Unfortunatly the method only supports certain ROM revisions out of the box so if you have updates you first have to downgrade and it's a pain. I'll just wait. It can't be much longer.

10. darkmav

darkmav Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    Hmm, I didn't know (I've just had an Android phone -- the Note -- for 7 months and I haven't had much time to play with it). I think I too will wait. I'm not terribly dissatisfied with Gingerbread, so getting an OS upgrade is more about having some fun :)

11. yegon

yegon Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 29, 2011
    Same. Gingerbread is okay, glad it'll be upgraded shortly, but it's fine. Honeycomb on the Galaxy 7.7 though, eesh, the move to ICS can't come soon enough. HC works, but it's soooo laggy and unpolished it really does feel like a beta. Which is a shame, as the 7.7 hardware is tremendous.

12. PJ147

PJ147 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Sales
    Hampshire, UK
    Be careful with flashing the note. Its custom flash counter will increase and you'll be out of.warranty. You can fix that though. Also lots of notes are being bricked if the kernel is not right.......