• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS is coming for the Samsung Galaxy SII Touch 4G!

were not moaning but its a little ridiculous that our battery would go from getting 20-25 hours on a full charge to 4. You wouldn't be happy either....
Out of curiosity, how are you getting that 4 hour number? Is your phone literally dropping dead with a totally spent battery after 4 hours of use? Or are you relying on indicated numbers on the phone and/or calculating? Is this with a fairly new battery, or has it gone through a lot of cycles?

Upvote 0
I'm getting that number based off of what my screen was telling me I dropped to 50 percent in the first 2 hours so after 4 hours my phone should be dead....Doing the hard restart seems to have helped the battery life off. getting about 11 hours on a charge.... still worse than what i was use to getting but hopefully it will get better.

Upvote 0
Anyone having issues connecting to a PC after installing ICS? I can't get my W7 laptop to recognize my phone after the update unless I put it into PTP mode (which doesn't do what I need it to).

Even though I hate (and subsequently don't use) Samsung Kies because it is clunky, it does have a nice automatic diagnostic mode that will fix/correct driver installation issues. For whatever reason Kies appears to be more dialed in for Vista platforms (as a functional piece of software; e.g. syncing contacts, music and photos...) but the connection "fixer" seems to help with/correct Win 7 connection problems - from my scope of experience - and is useful for that singular aspect.
Give it a try...

Reactions: Track Day
Upvote 0
I have the update file on my sdcard and have watched the YouTube video and I keep getting an error when loafing the zip file that says "E: signature failed" the phone has never been rooted or anything like that; any idea why it might be getting this? It's the official build from the YouTube video link, thanks

The best you can do is start over.
Download to a new location.
Rename to "update"
Copy to the SD.

Upvote 0
What do you mean new location? Doesn't it have to go on the ad card to update, so I couldn't put it anywhere else

It is, save the original to your main computer.
Make a copy and rename (that copy) update ( it should be .zip file. Also do Not add any thing else to the name.)
Put that copy on the microSD card used in your phone.
Now do the update process.

Good luck, it dose work. ;)

Lateck,

Upvote 0
hey i have done this several times in the past with smartphones, but on my s2 when i go to put in to boot mode, it gives me the option to confirm(volume up) or cancel(volume down) upgrade od os system.. i hit confirm and then a screen pops up says in odin mode. and below shows an android and says downloading.. it sits here forever and does nothing?
i have confirmed update file on sd card?... but from what i am seeing here you guys all say select update fromn sd card? i am not getting that option? appreciate anyhelp in advance.. ty

Upvote 0
What do you mean new location? Doesn't it have to go on the ad card to update, so I couldn't put it anywhere else
Maybe a new location to save a second copy of the same file on the computer?

If the downloaded file might be corrupt, I'd delete them all, run a fsck or CHKDSK on both the filesystem on the PC that the file is saved to when first downloaded, and also the SD card's filesystem, and then repeat the whole process. If the file got corrupted, it's probably because a filesystem got corrupted.

One bad thing in the video is that the computer hid the full filenames. You should be getting a file with a .zip extension on it. If you rename it to just "update" it won't work. It needs to be "update.zip".

Upvote 0
hey i have done this several times in the past with smartphones, but on my s2 when i go to put in to boot mode, it gives me the option to confirm(volume up) or cancel(volume down) upgrade od os system.. i hit confirm and then a screen pops up says in odin mode. and below shows an android and says downloading.. it sits here forever and does nothing?
i have confirmed update file on sd card?... but from what i am seeing here you guys all say select update fromn sd card? i am not getting that option? appreciate anyhelp in advance.. ty
When I did it, it gave me a mini file manager in the menu to select the file. If you aren't getting this, something's wrong.

Maybe the installer is getting fooled or confused by other files on the SD card. Try using a blank, freshly formatted card to copy the file to.

The video mentions that it can be difficult in Windows to be sure that you're copying to the SD card and not the internal "USB drive". I don't see why you couldn't remove the micro SD card from the phone, mount it on the computer and copy the file that way, to eliminate any doubt. Unless you lost the micro adapter. :p

Upvote 0
Maybe a new location to save a second copy of the same file on the computer?

If the downloaded file might be corrupt, I'd delete them all, run a fsck or CHKDSK on both the filesystem on the PC that the file is saved to when first downloaded, and also the SD card's filesystem, and then repeat the whole process. If the file got corrupted, it's probably because a filesystem got corrupted.

One bad thing in the video is that the computer hid the full filenames. You should be getting a file with a .zip extension on it. If you rename it to just "update" it won't work. It needs to be "update.zip".

any chance it is because I am downloading it on a mac and it automatically opens the file and i have to compress it down again to a zip file?

I tried a hard reset and used a new SD card that I formatted right before putting the file on and its the file everyone seems to be using from the youtube video that describes how to walk through the update, so I'm assuming the file is fine, any other suggestions? anyone want to send me the .zip file to my dropbox and I can try one that definitely worked for other people? Thanks ahead

Upvote 0
Does anyone know of a link or a video I can watch to learn about what is new with ICS on Samsung Galaxy S2 Phone?

Thank you...

Here is a video of the leaked ICS build, it's a rooted version, but it's based on what was sent to the developers for apps and such. From what I can' understand is pretty close to the final build version. I've been running it for about a month now. I have not seen any reviews of the OTA update.

Review of Leaked FB09 ICS Android 4.0.3 Rom on the Samsung Epic 4G Touch - YouTube

Reactions: godsdragon
Upvote 0
any chance it is because I am downloading it on a mac and it automatically opens the file and i have to compress it down again to a zip file?

I tried a hard reset and used a new SD card that I formatted right before putting the file on and its the file everyone seems to be using from the youtube video that describes how to walk through the update, so I'm assuming the file is fine, any other suggestions? anyone want to send me the .zip file to my dropbox and I can try one that definitely worked for other people? Thanks ahead

That could be your issue. My suggestion is to skip the computer all together. Just go here and download the file directly on your phone. How to manually update to Official FF18 ICS AND ROOT - xda-developers. Then, use a file explorer (I use Es) and move the file to the root of your external SD card. Some say you have to re-name it to update.zip, but I found it only worked when I did not re-name the file. YMMV. Again, there is no need to use a computer at all to do the manual update. Hope that helps you out. :)

Upvote 0
That would do it. I'm pretty sure there's a checksum, and if it's not right on the money the installer refuses to proceed. Surely there's a way to disable automatic zip file opening on your Mac! If you know UNIX commands you could use curl or wget (if they're installed) from a terminal session to grab the file, and maybe bypass the automation. I can't tell you where to cp it to though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones