• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS Maximum Clock Speed

There was an assertion from a third-party that has been disproven. That assertion was ...

There apparently were two different CPUs used in the Bionic.

The OMAP4430 is in most Bionics and will clock at 1.2GHz.
The OMAP4460 is in a few Bionics and only clocks to 1.0GHz.

To find which is in your Bionic ...

Install the free ... Android Terminal Emulator ... enter ...

cat /proc/socinfo
(make sure there is a space between cat and /.)

An example on a Bionic clocked at 1.2GHz is attached.

As will be shown in this discussion there instead appear to be two "flavors" of OMAP4430 with most running at 1.2GHz and some running at 1.0GHz.

... Thom

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-10-26-15-24-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-26-15-24-43.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 106
Thom, unless you have it backwards this is not true. Mine is OMAP 4430ES2.3 type(HS) and it is only clocked at 1.0GHz.

But it will run over 1.2GHz because I use Tweakerz app to OC.

He does have it backwards. Here is mine. I've never heard of any bionics having the 4460. There was a bunch of talk before it's release about which one they were gonna use. Everyone was hoping for the 4460 but it didn't happen.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351289300828.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351289300828.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0
Thank you everyone for the information. It looks like the original assertion was incorrect and the difference is that there are two "flavors" of the 4430.

It is curious that all of us were at 1.0GHz under GB and now MOST of us are ate 1.2GHz under ICS with no overclocking manipulations.

(I moved the discussion into this thread to reduce the confusion.)

... Thom

Upvote 0
I'm not sure there is any logical rationale here Thom. I see some with the ES2.3 saying 1GHz, while others with the ES2.3 saying 1.2GHz. The same goes with the ES2.2 version of the 4430's, so I don't know if any conclusion can be reached.

But in the end I don't see what difference it makes. I could understand if Motorola advertised the Bionic with a 1.2GHz CPU but it was advertised with a 1GHz CPU so anyone who has the 1.2GHz boost post-ICS has a bonus and no one has been cheated out of anything. In fact, if the Razr didn't have the same CPU I would almost be worried about our phones becoming unstable being overclocked by 20% but since the Razr has the same CPU and has always been advertised as 1.2GHz I assume it's stable at the 1.2GHz speed.

Upvote 0
Well they are tested at more like 1.6GHz and then released at 1.2GHz.

What tweaked my interest was that my Bionic and many others went to 1.2GHz when we installed ICS and some others did not.

I think in this thread we have shown that it is apparently not the CPU version that is determining 1.0GHz vs. 1.2GHz.

I wonder what is. I also wonder why all of them are not going to 1.2GHz.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Well they are tested at more like 1.6GHz and then released at 1.2GHz.

What tweaked my interest was that my Bionic and many others went to 1.2GHz when we installed ICS and some others did not.

I think in this thread we have shown that it is apparently not the CPU version that is determining 1.0GHz vs. 1.2GHz.

I wonder what is. I also wonder why all of them are not going to 1.2GHz.

... Thom
Yeah I have been a little curious about it as well. Perhaps the answer isn't in the CPU itself but maybe something else, like the phones equivalent to a PC's chipset or BIOS. Just like how a few Bionic's seem to get that whine back in the headphones with the ICS update, maybe some non CPU factor is keeping some phones from being 1.2GHz.

Upvote 0
It's just manufacturing tolerance. Chip makers do it all the time. GPUs for instance have bad cores so they disable the bad ones and sell them as the next model down. CPUs are the same only get a speed derating. In the case of cell phones they just use the lowest common denominator. I still have a Droid Eris running CM7 GB that's over clocked by 50% to a whopping 600mhz.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones