• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS nag annoyances

NotDeadYet

Jul 17, 2012
These nag issues, one with an apparently non-functioning off switch and the other with apparently no off-switch at all, are recurring on a brand-new, never-hacked phone with ICS.

1. The GPS Nag You boot your phone, and it warns you that your GPS is activated, making it possible for anybody to find you. It does this every single time you boot up, and even though you press the "Never Warn" button every time, it comes back again and again!

2. The Wifi Nag You go online, but not before you have to deal with another ICS warning because you aren't connected to a wifi network. You don't need Google to warn you of this, as you have been watching your data plan consumption carefully! Most of the time it happens when I don't have available network options anyway, and that ridiculous Google nanny isn't helping me any, but it seems I have no way to shut that PIA off!

Can anybody help with these issues?

Despite my time spent searching for an answer concerning the above issues, I simply refuse to believe that I, with a brand-new and un-hacked ICS phone am the only one who experiences them. The first which is less obtrusive but represents some obtuse design incompetence which would embarrass even the most amateur devs, and the second which really gets irritating when you don't have wifi available but must deal with it for nearly app which you would launch! I also refuse to believe that the rest of the ICS users don't feel that it's annoying enough to merit at least some discussion.

Is it me you don't like, or is there Google interest here which frowns on critical discussion concerning Google products? Well I believe these issues merit addressing here, and if I have to keep on posting on them one daily until I get some satisfaction, so be it!

Upvote 0
No need to get mad at no answers, it just means noone who has read this knows how to help! As for your queries, it may help if you post what phone you have, on what carrier and in which country. I, personally, have never seen 'nag' screens like these (i'm in the UK) but I can believe that some carriers would add some "useful" apps to do this for the "benefit" of their customers.

Dave

Upvote 0
No need to get mad at no answers, it just means noone who has read this knows how to help! As for your queries, it may help if you post what phone you have, on what carrier and in which country. I, personally, have never seen 'nag' screens like these (i'm in the UK) but I can believe that some carriers would add some "useful" apps to do this for the "benefit" of their customers.

Dave
Thank you, that sort of information is just what I am looking for - that I'm not having the same problems as everyone else, who choose to ignore them (how could they I'd have to wonder, but this world has been getting so tweaked that people will put up with almost anything now! So maybe it isn't really ICS, maybe my phone (Verizon Droid Incredible 4G (US), which unlike it's predecessor doesn't seem to be too popular), but I'm fairly sure I've already posted in my phone on this. I'm not paranoid enough to think that Google or Verizon badgers me alone with this nonsense, but it's only getting more difficult to understand this situation at all, which is what makes it so maddening! I'm not used to being alone on any problem island related to my phone or Android.

Upvote 0
Is this what you mean? From .... Review: Verizon's Droid Incredible 4G LTEAndroidGuys ...

Not surprisingly, there are fourteen bloatware unwanted applications loaded onto the device (two of which are from HTC, twelve from Verizon). Most of these cannot be removed (curses). They range from Amazon products to VCast stores to the dinosaur known as VZ Navigator. We could rant and rave for days on end about giving users the option to remove these apps, but at this point it borders on clich

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones