1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support ICS on Galaxy SII - A few issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by FussyUser, Apr 24, 2012.

1. FussyUser

FussyUser Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2012
    IT Professional
    England, UK
    Been an Android user since November, so I suppose you could say I got pretty used to Gingerbread. I waited (relatively impatiently) for ICS and it finally arrived this weekend. I've got a growing list of issues, but these are my most pressing at the moment and I'm hoping someone out there can help:

1) I'd love to pass on my thoughts to the developers. Is there a forum/issues list/wishlist that they read specifically?
    2) There was either a setting, or else it was the default, for the Alarm icon not to be displayed in the notification bar, but its back under ICS. Since I have daily alarms set (and I know they're there) I don't see why the space should be taken up. Any ideas how this can be turned off?
    3) I'm getting an odd mixture of the old female voice and an occasional new male voice in the Google Navigate. I discovered a "known issue" from back in Decemeber... anyone else got this? I'm tempted to uninstall Maps and re-install. Can anyone think why this would be a bad/pointless thing to do?
    4) Pressing the notification bar was a wonderfully quick way of displaying the date, but that (like so many other really neat ideas) has vanished under ICS. Is this a setting anywhere?

Advertisement

2. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Male
    Entrepreneur / Business Owner - Freelance Writer
    Loganville, GA
    Hi FussyUser... Welcome aboard. I just want you to know that I moved your thread to its correct forum. :)

3. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    Don't know how to fix alarm but I see your point

I do not use Navigate - I use Navigon another GPS app which came installed. Difference is Google Navigates sucks down heaps of data as you move around - although some of it is cached. While a GPS app like Navigon does not require a network connection to work, but of course can take upwards of 50MB of storage out of your sdcard...horses for courses.

Agree on the date display - I didn't notice that had gone until I saw your post

4. geoffibs

geoffibs Member
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    I'm disappointed about the date - didn't realise how much I used it.

Sorry I can't help on your other issues but I use alarm clock plus - it has an option to disable icon in the taskbar, plus a shed load of other stuff.

5. gbonato

gbonato Newbie
    None

Dec 13, 2010
    Brazil
    I must say I'm not excited with my new ICS install, which I got recently OTA in my Galaxy S2. I couldn't feel a great difference in performance and I noticed a lot more force closes and slowness than before. It's not enough to put me through the effort of trying to go back to Gingerbread, but if I knew all the effects of ICS I would have stayed with things as they were.

6. Njd4

Njd4 Member
    None

Feb 14, 2010
    Kent South East England
    Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding.. haven't had a coffee yet..

But the date seems to be showing in my notification window on ICS as per screen shot attached.. next to my carriers name.. o2 uk..

Not sure if that's where it was before?

ICS is in no way perfect.. I hated it when first installed..

Getting to like it more now but I agree that it doesn't seem as responsive as before and has a few major bugs that need sorting like the common wifi freezing bug and the fact that my s2 STILL goes over 111 degrees f when I'm just browsing net on wifi, (admittedly while it's charging) but hoped ICS would rectify..

Although I do like other aspects of ICS now that I've used it for a week.

Attached Files:

7. FussyUser

FussyUser Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2012
    IT Professional
    England, UK
    @Rush: Thanks... correct topic positioning is such a skill in its own right, isn't it? :)

@Njd4: No, I can see the date there. Whether it used to be there under Gingerbread I can't remember, but on that version, if you pressed on the notification line, the date used to appear on the left side of the notification bar itself - right where you have your Lookout icon. When you released, the date vanished. It was just a very quick way of seeing the date quickly and was one of the reasons I knew I was right to move from WinMob to Android - the developers had clearly really thought about things. However, removing this makes no sense - which I'm finding a common theme in ICS. Another for-instance, in the included TW Contacts app, when you scrolled the list (if, that is, you ordered by surname but displayed First Second - I set that straight away so no idea if it was different with other settings) the name part used for the sort order stayed visible and the rest faded. Again - intelligence and good thinking at work... until ICS when it vanished.

@all the others: Thanks for your comments. I happen to like most of the stock apps - Clock, Calendar, Navigate, etc, and would prefer to stick with them where I can, so getting to the right setting for what I already have is my ultimate goal - and if it doesn't exist now, get in touch with the developers and ask for it back. Think I'll just have to write a nice long letter to Samsung and hope that anything they aren't controlling gets passed back to the powers-that-be.

If anyone else has any thoughts, feel free to chip in :)

8. sntaylor

sntaylor Android Expert
    None

Jan 20, 2012
    Male
    Ayrshire, scotland
    My gf has gingerbread on her w while I have ics on my s2..... The date on hers appears top left hand side when you pull notification bar down, on mine you needed to pull out slightly further down but it appears on the right hand side..... However this does seem like a very minor issue, it can appear on the lock screen after all! And you can add a colander widget to home screen!