1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root ics or not?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ericsloan, Jan 7, 2012.

1. ericsloan

ericsloan Newbie
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    i like the look of icce cream sandwich im running 2.3.3 and mikg 3.0 rom can ijust load the theam from sd card or download from market to phone or what ?

Advertisement

2. nolimit06

nolimit06 Well-Known Member
    None

Are you refering to the actual ICS build or just a theme? If a theme you can usually flash the theme from your SD card, I am not sure of any themes for Sense based ROMs on the Market however there are themes for the CM7 theme engine that only work on AOSP ROMs with the theme engine built in. There is a pretty good ICS theme for MikG 3 that can be found here: [THEME] - Ice Cream Sandwich MikG 3.0 (Version1.8.4) [Update 1/3/2012]

AARONONE and ocnbrze like this.
  3. LittleRedDot

LittleRedDot Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 23, 2011
    When I was running CM7 I went with Go Launcher and the Go Store had a nice ICS theme, even dl'd the lock screen from the Go Locker widget.

Not sure if that helps?

4. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    An ICS theme is much different than an ICS rom. A lot of roms will have a them that looks like ICS...but it's still going to be truly a gingerbread rom because it's running Android 2.3.x. As you probably know, there are real ICS roms out there currently that are running Android 4.0.x. They're pretty neat, but in my opinion not ready to be a daily driver just yet. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think any of them support hardware acceleration just yet, and the camera is only functioning in any capacity on one rom.

With that said, it's cool to flash it and check it out. I think the Gapps are WAY better on ICS than on Gingerbread. I can't wait for it to hit beta stages because it's really slick.

NaterTots, ocnbrze and youdoofus like this.
  5. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Tech support rep for Knology
    so dak
    indeed a theme is MUCH different than a rom... The former is an latter and the other is an operating system. That being said, in the absence of a fully functional o.s., perhaps a good ICS theme would satiate your appetite for the timebeing. Keep your eyes peeled for the real deal ICS rom very soon... I just sense that its on the verge of happening AND IM SOOOOO ANXIOUS!!!!! If i had the talent, id devote my time to that and not spend much time in here. But im not that good, so here I am... Just reporting what I find and trying to help those in need :D

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. keysstickler

keysstickler Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2012
    I burned Deck's pre Alpha ICS 4.0.1 last month and have been using it hard ever since. It DOES utilize H/W acceleration, very well... talk about fluid transitions. I've yet to get any FC, and of course the camera doesn't work, but I really dont mind . I just d/l ed the alpha version he put up last week and plan to put that on tonight.

ocnbrze and youdoofus like this.
  7. MizzouBrent

None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    He's going to have a version out with working camera very soon if you follow him on twitter.

8. i.have.droid

i.have.droid Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 30, 2010
    What else does not work besides camera? I hear wifi does not work yet either.

9. MizzouBrent

None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    Wifi works just fine. The calendar sync can be iffy, and it may or may not have random reboots or memory issues at times depending on what build you are running. But I have had pretty good luck when running it without any issues.

i.have.droid likes this.
  10. i.have.droid

i.have.droid Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 30, 2010
    Awesome..so basically they are just fixing the camera and this thing is ready to go as a daily?

11. MizzouBrent

None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS

Well it depends. It could still crash from time to time and I think GPS is still a bit hit or miss for some. It all depends on what you use your phone for and what issues you're willing to live with. For a daily driver, I want everything working 100% of the time.

mikem0269 likes this.
  12. windsorclarenc

windsorclarenc Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 6, 2011
    Male
    Windham, OH
    Preludedrew just released a badass new ICS ROM: http://bit.ly/xJifNk. I'm currently using it and I gotta say, it's beautiful. The camera does work, but only 3mp. I'm getting a few random reboots, but they're getting fewer and fewer. If you use this you have to flash ICS gapps: GApps for evervolv 12/26. I definitely recommend at least giving this a try. You can always do a nandroid backup of your current setup and just restore it if you don't like the ICS ROM.

PS: Thanks to MizzouBrent for originally posting about Preludedrew's ICS ROM.

13. MizzouBrent

None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    He posted an 8 MP fix on his twitter this evening :drool:

Tags: