• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I think the FDR notion is HUGELY overhyped. I can see if your phone has a number of customizations (you changed the keyboard, you have many custom rooted apps) but I left my phone alone on purpose waiting for this update. It works perfectly, and is so much faster. The quadrant standard score was 1850ish in GB, 2450ish in ICS. So this program, take it for what it is, seems to agree the phone is running more efficiently.

I don't mean to start an argument, but I'd encourage people to gauge the performance/battery life before FDR. Also to the Windows XP to Windows 7 example above. A PC running Windows 7 for two years would be noticably cleaner if you backed up and reinstalled the same Windows 7 OS.

I also haven't believed in task killing, not even when I had the OG Droid.

Upvote 0
I think the FDR notion is HUGELY overhyped. I can see if your phone has a number of customizations (you changed the keyboard, you have many custom rooted apps) but I left my phone alone on purpose waiting for this update. It works perfectly, and is so much faster. The quadrant standard score was 1850ish in GB, 2450ish in ICS. So this program, take it for what it is, seems to agree the phone is running more efficiently.

I don't mean to start an argument, but I'd encourage people to gauge the performance/battery life before FDR. Also to the Windows XP to Windows 7 example above. A PC running Windows 7 for two years would be noticably cleaner if you backed up and reinstalled the same Windows 7 OS.

I also haven't believed in task killing, not even when I had the OG Droid.

Well, I'm getting android.process.acore Has Stopped errors constantly. Doesn't interfere with phone calls, but constantly comes up under People and other things. I don't have a lot of apps either. I do run Swiftkey, Go Launcher EX though so maybe those have something to do with it, but I figure a clean slate is pretty good in my case.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm getting android.process.acore Has Stopped errors constantly. Doesn't interfere with phone calls, but constantly comes up under People and other things. I don't have a lot of apps either. I do run Swiftkey, Go Launcher EX though so maybe those have something to do with it, but I figure a clean slate is pretty good in my case.

then yes, I would certainly agree that this may warrant a FDR.
its not that FDR is a bad suggestion, but it could also be overboard.
hope your issue is fixed soon!

Upvote 0
So...I have to out right say that Thom is 1000000% right!!! For those of you having issues with ICS or if you DON'T want to have any issues to begin with then please please please just do an FDR after you get ICS downloaded and installed. I had a screen flashing issue, that has bugged me for a couple months. At first ICS seemed to have fixed it...then it came back amplified. I did an FDR and everything is right in sync and running absolutely PERFECT!!

I was never doubting you Thom, just hesitant about doing the FDR because of having to set back up my phone. But what better way to set up my phone than with a brand new OS?

Upvote 0
I'm with you. I resisted it for all those OTAs we had with Gingerbread.

It was actually ... EarlyMon ... who laid out this concept. He and I had a somewhat heated private debate. I think he is totally correct when going from one version to the next. He was also probably correct that an awful lot of the stupid problems we were shooting in Gingerbread was because we treated a FDR as a next to last step.

Consider the FDR as an "opportunity".

... Thom

Upvote 0
Really? Well I stand corrected then. That's just not usually something that is done with an update
Keep in mind that the CPU in the Bionic's is the same as the CPU in the Razr's merely clocked at 1GHz. Why they clocked them down, who knows. Maybe like in desktop CPU's or video cards, something about the batch makes them need to clock down the chip to run more stable, or could have been some other reason. But many of us, not all, have seen a boost to 1.2GHz with the ICS upgrade. Was even seen with the earlier leaks.

Upvote 0
Maybe I posted in the wrong thread, but I'd read a zillion posts about OCS moving a bionic from 1.0 to 1.2. That could by why a senior member here said what he said. I try not to post ridiculous stuff in forums where I'm a member. Honestly, I do. :)

ICS does seem to have clocked the Bionic CPU to 1,2GHz in most phones, but not every one. No one can figure out the exact reason why not every CPU has gotten the bump up.

Upvote 0
I am writing to thank Thom and everyone else who has been preaching the FDR gospel. For a week or more, I listened but didn't hear.

As far as I was concerned, my stock Bionic took the OTA just fine and ran wonderfully. I enjoyed using both cores, I enjoyed a 20% speed bonus (to 1.2), I enjoyed being able to run ICS Browser+ with its customizable Quick Controls, I enjoyed a reliable LTE connection for the first time in months, and I enjoyed a great FoxFi hotspot. With more than 300 apps, all organized in folders and subfolders with Folder Organizer, the thought of doing a FDR had little appeal.

However, after more than a week on ICS, I noticed two (probably related) things that I did not like at all. First, my Bionic was running somewhere between warm and hot, much warmer than ever before. In fact, after an hour with the screen off and my phone in a pocket or sitting on a table, I would pick it up and find that it was still hot. Also, it was burning through my Moto extended battery like nobody's business. The battery life was about as bad as my old Droid Eris while watching a movie (2-3 hours, tops). The battery was being chewed up even when the screen was off for an extended period. Here in Texas, we don't need hand warmers and we love energy. Enough was enough!

So last Friday, I bit the bullet and did a full FDR and data wipe. First, I exported my FO settings to my SD card. Then I backed up all of my apps to the SD card using App Backup & Restore (free in the Playstore). Then I turned the phone off, yanked the SD card, turned the phone back on, and proceeded with the FDR. Everything went smoothly, and I was essentially left with a zippy new phone. As soon as it was safe to do so, I turned off the phone and reinstalled the SD card. To my delight, Goggle automagically reinstalled about 200 of my apps, including data and settings. As expected, Goggle also reinstalled my Contacts and Bookmarks. I used AB&R to reinstall my remaining 100+ apps that came from Amazon and other non-PlayStore sources. These apps were restored without data and settings. Finally, I ran FO and imported my settings. Like magic, all my folders and subfolders came back to life, complete with app icons.

There was other work to be done, like setting up Enhanced Email to run Gmail, configuring various apps and widgets, and downloading mega-app bundles like MC3 and LG2 (Thom's favorite). Altogether, I probably spent 8 hours on everything related to the FDR. But it was time well spent. My phone now runs at normal temperatures and, although it is still a bit early to judge, battery life seems to be at least as good as it was under GB.

Thank you again!

Happy in Dallas (at least until the Falcons beat the Cowboys)

Upvote 0
That is an excellent idea. I am backing up as I type. This bionic is probably as cluttered as my first apartment. Good excuse to NOT reinstall some of the BS after a FDR w/ ICS.

Prefect sentiment. I got the ICS OTA. I just completed my backup using titanium backup (free, not sure if I need the pro version).

I was to to the FDR. Shall I also wipe the internal data as well?
after the FDR, just like you said the bionic is cluttered. So which option
for restore should I use after the FDR? I had some downloaded apps, so I know which they are and which ones I could probably live without, but TB lists close to 270 apps. Maybe 230 or those are system and bloatware. Not sure. I doubt think I want/need the pro 1-click batch restore all as they will just refill the appartment right?

thoughts, suggestions on how to just put back your favorite furniture?

Upvote 0
After the Factory Data Reset you have a clean slate. Now what? Doing a total restore of all your apps and data seems to defeat the whole idea.

The apps you got from Play Store will automatically download again and install cleanly.

My approach would be to get the new automatic copies from Play Store and get the the non-Play Store apps from your archive. If you don't have an archive ... create one and use the copies from your backup.

You are then left with the recovery of some data. For us non-gamers it is not too big a deal to start a new version. Gamers may need to recover some historical data from their backup on a case by case basis.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Only restore third-party apps from TiBu - do not restore any system app data. Any apps that are colored red or green in Titanium Backup are system apps. Restore apps and data for any third party app that you really want on your phone. Obviously, ignore any apps that you do not want.

I don't even bother backing up system app data in Titanium.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones