1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

ICS Soak is out

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SirEagle, Oct 11, 2012.

1. wildkitten

wildkitten Android Enthusiast

What I mean is, what is the point of the soak test? Is it like a beta test for software because if it is, what kind of feedback can they get back in just 7 hours, not to mention since they already know when they are pushing it out, doesn't sound like any changes could be made in such a short time. Or is the soak test a test of the ability to successfully push it out OTA?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. All excellent questions ... and ... a repeat of the very questions I asked after the 5.9.905 OTA.

You are assuming the rumor about the seven hours was true.

Whimsical.

... Thom

3. dautley

dautley Android Expert

I did say Rumor in a galaxy far far away with no direct knowledge didn't I?

4. ... apparently not loud enough ...

... Thom

5. wildkitten

wildkitten Android Enthusiast

LOL ok, well, let's assume the rumor isn't true. Let's say it goes all weekend. Is that even enough time get user feedback and make changes before pushing it OTA next week?

I'm still curious to know what the purpose of a soak test is. Not this one in particular, just the purpose in general. Is it for testing of the software for feedback purposes or testing the delivery of it to customers?

6. It is both ... and I think it is also one other thing ... I think someone signed an agreement that they would have soak tests and by God they're going to have a soak test.

With 5.9.905 the simultaneous sent it to some people who signed up for the soak test and some people who didn't. This begs the additional question ... what would they have done if the soak test actually discovered something?

... Thom

7. dCoder

dCoder Newbie

A soak test is not to test the software. That should already be taken care of. It just tests the OTA delivery to the customer.

8. dautley

dautley Android Expert

They would have to issue some kind of patch to go from the soak version to the OTA. Doubtful this would happen, Bionic is probably already the most widely ICS tested phone in Motorola history, intentional or not.

9. dautley

dautley Android Expert

.905 First emails received May 2nd...soak OTA installed June 7th

10. This does not necessarily relate to the build dates. I think the emails went out before the build was done.

There was a 5.9.904 leaked just before 5.9.905. I don't have the build dates for either of them.

... Thom

11. DanDroide

DanDroide Android Enthusiast

Getting the soak soon would be nice since I just FXZ'd back.

12. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Android Enthusiast

May 11 for 905. Ota wasn't util June iirc. There are no new builds out there. 247 is the latest so the soak is going to be 246 (not likely) or 247 (very likely). It takes them a while to stage the updates so if it were not going to be one of those builds then we'd have seen a new one by now.

13. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Android Enthusiast

Also I'm not sure where this 7 hour thing came from. The soak will take place over 3 or 4 days with batches being pushed every hour. During every soak test they randomly select non-soak testers (1000 or less) to push it out to. Those users are not under nda as they are just regular users. If a build doesn't end up being ota, Moto pushes out a patch to get them to ota when the time comes. See 901 and 904 for reference. So in this case 247 will soak. If for some reason it isn't ota, then moto will create a 247 to whatever patch and push it to those who got 247 as part of the soak and limited public push. I can assure you 247 is by farm the best build this phone has ever gotten. Soak testers are unlikely to find bugs that'd cause it to fail ota.

14. chmodx

chmodx Android Enthusiast

What improvement would a normal user see with 247 over the 232 build then?

15. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert

@Wildkitten

I've been in several soak tests on the phones that I've owned. The purpose for the soak test is two fold. First and primarily, it is to test delivery to the masses. According to several discussions I have been in with Moto folks behind the privacy curtain of the soak test forum. One of the biggest unknowns is how the OTAs will install on the phones of General Users. Secondly, there is no way for Moto (or anyone else for that matter) to test a OS upgrade against all the possible software installs available on the Android Market. Although they try and hit as many possiblities as possible through testing, there is nothing better than to do a controlled launch into the wild to see how the new OS fares. The installed software of Joe General User can also have an affect on the upgrade process also.

Hope this helps,
    BigRedGonzo

16. ... in addition they cannot admit that they know the various builds are being "leaked" into the user community and they are getting unbelievably great feedback from all the FREE testing that some dedicated users are doing. They have to make believe that the testing is the soak testing.

For the skeptics it is a chance to see that it rely is version 6.7.nnn and that it is root-able prior to everyone getting it.

In Gingerbread I encountered problems with some fairly popular apps when going form one version to the next ... I'm the one r who reported them ... they got fixed.

... Thom

17. dautley

dautley Android Expert

18. DanDroide

DanDroide Android Enthusiast

I could live with the 19th. :)

19. Paraflier

Paraflier Well-Known Member

If that's true, then I night have to take more stock in what the Magic 8 Ball and the Ouija board says... lol

20. dautley

dautley Android Expert

No, No, You don't understand, this is on the internet so so it has right along with what porcupines do when no one is looking..:rolleyes:
    I swear I haven't heard Friday before except in a galaxy far far away and that was a long long time ago.
    But really, I don't think anyone other than Motorola has a clue......

21. dautley

dautley Android Expert

sure they can!

22. They can (and do) say just about anything at any time.

It will happen when it happens.

... Thom

stridermt2k likes this.
  23. lewwill

lewwill Well-Known Member

You have obviously been ODing on bacon. ;)
    Lew

Motorola Droid Bionic Forum

The Motorola Droid Bionic release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4430 processor, and 1735mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews