• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS User manual

Supposedly a photo of your face won't do it.

Played with my friends nexus on jelly bean and he had to unlock his phone... You have to blink in order for it to register your face... It was because of people using pictures to get into peoples phone with face lock... Apparently they unveiled it at Google I/O when he was there... He had some info posted on his Google plus after the initial press conference

Reactions: cac2us
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm going to guess a cease and desist letter. I've gotten a few of those over the years. If that's the case, hope it all works out for you.
That and an email stating if I fail to comply there will be legal ramifications. Didn't feel to good at first but now I joke around about it. Its funny sometimes how a single person can get a HUGE company like <company_name> on their toes real fast xD

Reactions: jeshbeast
Upvote 0
Honestly, unless you work for them, you likely have little to worry about, because the person who would get sued is generally the one who took the proprietary information, not this that share it later. You could potentially get hit with a trademark or copyright suit, but since you didn't make any money off the info (I'm assuming), it's hard to prove damages.

I'm not suggesting you share the info again, but that letter did what it was intended to do: scare you into doing what they want. After studying law, I have less respect for companies and people that use ignorance of the law as a weapon.

Upvote 0
Honestly, unless you work for them, you likely have little to worry about, because the person who would get sued is generally the one who took the proprietary information, not this that share it later. You could potentially get hit with a trademark or copyright suit, but since you didn't make any money off the info (I'm assuming), it's hard to prove damages.

I'm not suggesting you share the info again, but that letter did what it was intended to do: scare you into doing what they want. After studying law, I have less respect for companies and people that use ignorance of the law as a weapon.

Agreed, after looking at some sites they were directed here lol

Upvote 0
Nope. Don't work for them, nor did I sell the info, it was on an unprotected part of the server and I stumbled upon it. If they come after me, I'm prepared. But I highly doubt they come after someone like me. They really wont make much off me, hell they'd be spending more just to come after me... Oh well <Company_Name> got what they initially wanted.

Upvote 0
I just noticed this post; the bill is in committee, BTW.. hasn't moved in 2 years, so it's unlikely it will, unless someone does the very thing this bill seeks to prevent and it becomes a national news issue.
It's something manufacturers have done in the stock roms for years to avoid litigious Americans, since it wouldn't be too hard to lay blame on LG or Motorola or HTC (etc...) for 'failing to provide a safety mechanism against privacy invasion'. It's silly and points to the asinine inability of Americans to lay blame where it ought to (rather than trying to get the highest payout), but hey, that's the country we live in.

Upvote 0
Nope. Don't work for them, nor did I sell the info, it was on an unprotected part of the server and I stumbled upon it. If they come after me, I'm prepared. But I highly doubt they come after someone like me. They really wont make much off me, hell they'd be spending more just to come after me... Oh well <Company_Name> got what they initially wanted.

Coming after you would be nothing compared to the class action of all of us coming after them. The update was spoken of buy verizon by 2nd quarter. We're in the third with promises of an update coming by the end of the year. Better get ur calendar right. I agree w Mr B. Its a like a Guy in a muscle shirt trying to muscle you...poke em in the chest and it's all styrofoam.

Upvote 0
They do shit like that with copyright suits all the time. I studied case patterns in school and they have a 90% efficacy rate with the average person; very few realize they have little base to stand on. It's one of the biggest issues I have with the tort/civil system: those with knowledge can abuse those without, so unless you studied law, you probably won't know that there's no merit to their claim.

Reactions: ups2525
Upvote 0
They do shit like that with copyright suits all the time. I studied case patterns in school and they have a 90% efficacy rate with the average person; very few realize they have little base to stand on. It's one of the biggest issues I have with the tort/civil system: those with knowledge can abuse those without, so unless you studied law, you probably won't know that there's no merit to their claim.

MrB206...you have helped me several times over the last few months here on the Spec forums and I would like to acnowlidge this fact and say "thank you for your contributions to the spec community and I thank you for your willingness to share your knowledge". Simply...Thx man!! :D

Upvote 0

Well Said...

I have no experience in the studies of civil law through school but have done my homework and have personal experience with what you speak of. The long arm of the law is often used as a form of intimidation and is played on the ignorance of others whereas there are no actual grounds (in some instances) of coercion or bullying, if you will.

The situation for persons subject to threatening letters (or a subpena) is going to be different. Unless you're aware of where you stand, it's never a bad idea to err on the side of caution. Working as an appraiser I follow this ideology daily when valuing real property. :)

Either way- good post and we'll see where this fiasco with ICS being released to our Spectrum goes...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones