1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Ics

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LrdAnkh, Oct 6, 2011.

1. LrdAnkh

LrdAnkh Well-Known Member

Will the Bionic be upgradeable to ICS?

[​IMG]

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

I'm 100% it will be. When is the question. I would say no earlier than next summer. I'm being serious.

3. LrdAnkh

Why that long with the pending release of it. Wont it be leaked?

4. trophynuts

here is the way it works.

Nexus devices get every update first. So the Nexus S will probably be the next device after the Prime/Galaxy Nexus is released with it. This is how Google has always done it. The problem is when Moto/HTC/Samsung and anyone else gets the release they have to test and develop their UI to integrate with the updated OS.

perfect example.

Nexus 1 got Froyo before anyone. ...roughly six to eight months later i think it was other phones started getting it.

same thing happened for GB

This is why everyone is going nuts wanting a Nexus device. It is pure Google which means you get your updates straight from the horses mouth.

So if ICS is about to be released to Manufacturers it is going to take them a while to engineer not only new devices that will come with it but also engineer updates for current devices that will get the update.

DanDroide likes this.
  5. trophynuts

i hope that made sense. lol

LrdAnkh likes this.
  6. LrdAnkh

Got it and yes it was.

7. trophynuts

8. DanDroide

DanDroide Android Enthusiast

Thanks, makes a lot if sense.

Now for my blind optimizim. Google just bought Motorola Mobility. Here's hoping they move up our timetable because of that. :)

9. YodaDroid

YodaDroid Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that you might NOT want ICS once you get used to your phone and are happy with your layout / setup.

Just ask the users who no longer want Gingerbread.

10. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert

That's why my next device is a nexus.

11. trophynuts

there are a lot more users that liked GB over Froyo than not.

and yeah one of my first thoughts when Google bought Moto ..was awesome faster updates maybe lol

12. trophynuts

also a perfect example of the time it takes to port the os over....look at the Thunderbolt. It's still on Froyo

13. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert

Don't forget that after Moto gets the update ready for their phones, then it has to go to Verizon before it can be released. That always adds a very long testing period to the delay.

Not to be a party pooper, but I came from the OG Droid and I remember the Nexus getting Froyo and it took months before Verizon released the update to the Droid.

BigRedGonzo

14. trophynuts

Yup good point Gonzo.

the GB update for the DX was rejected by VZW multiple times. That is why we had so many diff version #'s before the official.

Motorola Droid Bionic Forum

The Motorola Droid Bionic release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4430 processor, and 1735mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews