• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I'd like to clarify something...

GrdLock

Android Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2009
Texas
I keep seeing people posting this across multiple Android message boards, in the dev IRC chatrooms, etc.

THE ROOTED 2.1 DOES HAVE NAVIGATION!!

There's a simple workaround to get it working correct:

1) When you open navigation and it asks for a destination, if you begin typing, it crashes.
2) So instead of typing, hit the button to the right of the text box
3) Select Point on Map
4) Click anywhere on the map, this will enter that point as the destination and begin navigation
5) Now you can go to Menu > More > Change Destination and type in an address or speak your destination, and it works fine

Yes, I know, it's not flawless, but I'm tired of hearing "Rooted 2.1 doesn't have navigation ha ha ha" :p

It seems to be a bug in Google Maps, because you type the destination in Google Maps before it launches the actual navigation app. Once the navigation app is opened, it works fine, it's just getting the app to open by entering a destination.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones