• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'd like to purchase an HTC for my wife...

Hi all,

our anniversary is getting closer and closer and I've decided to buy a smartphone to my wife, since she expressed a lot of interest in my HTC Desire.

The Desire, however, is a bit too big (and pricey!) for her needs, so I'm wondering what other Android-based HTC could be appropriate as a gift.

The Wildfire looks very promising, but I fear that the low screen resolution may limit too much the range of apps available for it. Is this the case?

Do you have any comment/suggestion?

Thanks a lot.

The Wildfire looks very promising, but I fear that the low screen resolution may limit too much the range of apps available for it. Is this the case?

I am kinda in the same place, the Wildfire has everything going for it except the screen rez, other phones that I have been looking at is the Samsung Galaxy Spica and the Vodafone 845, but despite the low rez of the Wildfire I am leaning towards it.

Upvote 0
So you want a small, in-expensive phone with a hi-res screen?

Let's say I want a small, reasonably priced smartphone with a mid-res screen.

Sounds better? ;)

It has to be Android.

It doesn't have to be an HTC.

Do they have an equivalent to the LG Ally there?

3.2" 800x480 WVGA with a QWERTY.

Sent from my Liquid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
You are in the same market as myself. My other requirement is a nice camera with a flash.

1. HTC Legend - 3.2" AMOLED 320x480 126g
2. HTC Wildfire - 3.2" TFT 240x320 118g
3. SE X10 mini/mini pro - 2.55" TFT 240x320 88g / 120g (pro)

The reviews on the HTC cameras are not always very positive, and the SE X10 mini/mini pro is a little small, low res, and outdated in the os department.

So I am still looking.

Upvote 0
Don't get the super low-res crap. App incompatibility nightmare. No.

The Legend is a nice mid-range alternative, IMO. Failing that, and I've recommended this one to others before, how about a nice Acer Liquid? High-end processor (!) albeit with a rather low RAM, upgradeable to 2.1 already, 3.5-in screen with high resolution. Best of all, it's cheap as dirt for the specs it boasts.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that one too. Isn't the Liquid E more expensive, though? Either way, it's amazingly good for value. Trounces the OP's other choices--Wildfire et al--without even trying. Snapdragon processor for that price is nothing to laugh at.

Re plasticky: to be fair, even Samsung's flagship Android, the Galaxy S, is plasticky. I handled one the other day. It's so, so very plasticky. The backside is pretty much fingerprint magnet. Go go go soft-touch plastic and teflon coating.

Upvote 0
Bluenova, that really isn't true. Initially the Samsung Galaxy S was launched on Vodafone, then after a couple of months it came to other networks. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes it does. Iphone was limited to 02 for two years.

Yes the UK has a similar model to the US but is less restrictive. This is not the case for most of Europe.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones