• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'd love to know how many still have UDP.

:)

My use is all over the map. Some months I won't top a a few hundred meg others, I'm through the roof. In all honesty if I could get 8GB for the same price I'm paying now FOR LIFE (with device upgrades), I would jump. But the "for life" part is what worries me.

I'm not giving it up for a two year deal.

FWIW
DLM

Upvote 0
This is a little OT but it's still about data plans and Verizon specifically.

Does anyone know if they can throttle individual users on a family plan?

I use around 3 GB per month, and my husband uses maybe half that. We're on that share everything plan, but my stepson uses a TON of data every cycle (well, it's a ton to us). He easily uses three or four times what my husband and I use combined. It's getting old.

Is it possible to have his speeds (and his alone) throttled? I know I must totally sound like "evil stepmother" here, but I'm really not the one annoyed; it's my husband who is tired of having to buy extra GBs. We're thinking that, if he knows his data is going to be curbed if he uses too much, he'll use it more wisely.

Upvote 0
Well, he is 22 and he doesn't live with us, so we can't really take his phone or put him on restriction or anything. All his dad can do is just cancel his line, which he threatens to do monthly. In the end he reneges, though, and just ends up paying the fee for more data. I'd rather Verizon do something to keep him from going over than him having to worry about a phone bill right now, since he's just starting out, if that makes sense. And his dad would never ask him for money, even to help with the bill.

Upvote 0
Well, he is 22 and he doesn't live with us, so we can't really take his phone or put him on restriction or anything. All his dad can do is just cancel his line, which he threatens to do monthly. In the end he reneges, though, and just ends up paying the fee for more data. I'd rather Verizon do something to keep him from going over than him having to worry about a phone bill right now, since he's just starting out, if that makes sense. And his dad would never ask him for money, even to help with the bill.

Does he get texts letting him know he is close? My stepson does and I swear, he manages to get within 2-3MB of the limit every month.:mad: And he is 20, in college, with no appreciation for money.:banghead:

Upvote 0
Does he get texts letting him know he is close? My stepson does and I swear, he manages to get within 2-3MB of the limit every month.:mad: And he is 20, in college, with no appreciation for money.:banghead:

Yep, they send all three of us a text when we hit 75% and then 90% if I remember the percentages correctly. So when we get that 75% warning during week TWO of our billing cycle, we know exactly who's responsible.

That aside, though, I remember being in my early 20s and not yet having to have an appreciation for money, LOL. The good ol' days.

Upvote 0
but I'm really not the one annoyed; it's my husband who is tired of having to buy extra GBs.

This is probably fairly obvious and seemingly silly, but you guys are waiting 'til the last day of the billing cycle and buying GB's retroactively, right? You're not paying $15 per instead of $10 for 2?

Sometimes I have to up mine, I just go online to Verizon's site and change my plan, there is a retroactive button/option, I select that. If you are upping data there is no stupid pro-rating but if you are reducing it there is (so be sure to re-set at the beginning of the cycle!).

Just wanted to toss that out there :)

Upvote 0
This is probably fairly obvious and seemingly silly, but you guys are waiting 'til the last day of the billing cycle and buying GB's retroactively, right? You're not paying $15 per instead of $10 for 2?

Sometimes I have to up mine, I just go online to Verizon's site and change my plan, there is a retroactive button/option, I select that. If you are upping data there is no stupid pro-rating but if you are reducing it there is (so be sure to re-set at the beginning of the cycle!).

Just wanted to toss that out there :)

I know he's added data to the plan in general several times already (in 2GB increments for $10 each time), probably to the tune of about 8 additional GB over what the family plan initially was. I think he's also done the one-time $15 one GB thing from time to time, I guess depending on his mood or how close it was to the end of the billing cycle. I do know that he's not really going to be doing either for a lot longer, I see the days of Jr's line coming to a tragic end.

VZW offers Family Base, which I believe allows you to set data usage limits by line. It's $5/mo but cheaper than overage fees. Your stepson will hate this, but just tell him if he reigns in his usage, you can/will cancel it.

Cool, I wasn't aware this was an option. I'll tell my husband to look into that; it might be the best way to go.

Upvote 0
I too still have UDP w/hotspot that I pay an additional $30.00 a month for. When Verizon was killing off UDP I added the hotspot so when we go on driving trips our son can watch videos on his laptop or tablet. I average about 8gb a month. And when the day comes that Verizon forces all off UDP that is the day I drop down to a "dumb" phone or even a prepaid phone. I refuse to pay more for less. I have been with Verizon since the end of 1998, almost 16 years.

Upvote 0
I don't think Verizon will pull the plug on UDP users. As time goes by, I'm willing to bet that more and more users are dropping UDP for those 2-year pricing plans and those super cool phones. Verizon is realizing that the loss of revenue from those that know the value of UDP is greater than the loss of revenue for the few that still use a lot. For every UDP user there are several that are paying for tiered. Verizon still gets $30 bucks anyway from UDP's. Also, data will eventually be cheaper and cheaper to supply. Remember text messaging in 1999? 20c to send and 10c to receive. That was crazy! Technology is one of those things that get cheaper over time because of the better technology around the bend. It's the good nature of this beast.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones