1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

IDE Woes....

Discussion in 'Computers' started by stinky, Dec 29, 2009.

1. stinky

stinky Android Enthusiast

I have tried a lot to find this on Google, but cant seem to find an answer to my problem. I can see that there are some smart folks here that may be able to help, I dont feel like registering on another forum quite yet.

My computer will not detect my IDE DVD drive. In fact when I restart my PC with it plugged in, it will stall at "Detecting IDE Drives" for about a minute then show the drives, only the 2 SATA HDDs I have and not my DVD drive. Then after it will hang at a black screen and never move past this point. In order to boot I must unplug the DVD drive completely. With it plugged in I cant even get into BIOS settings, it appears to disable the keyboard as well.

There was nothing major I did that would warrant this issue. It just randomly happenned one day and has been that way for a few months now.

Things I have tried:

- switched to a different IDE Drive. A IDE HDD will work, 2 separate disc drives will not. In fact, 1 drive wont let the computer even start the boot sequence at all.

- switched IDE cables, no change

- changed around the jumpers from CS, to Master, slave etc, no change

- Switched which IDE channel its on the mobo, no change either way

- Installed a new Power supply, was told by a techie friend that mine was probably going out, didnt help this situation

- completely unplugged everything possible, RAM, PCI cards, HDDs, etc. The problem remains with the DVD drives despite what is or isnt plugged in.

Upon troubleshooting as best I can, I can only guess that the problem lies within the mobo, maybe something shorted or just stopped working on it. Maybe a BIOS flash is in order? Any other ideas or thoughts?

I already have a new CPU/mobo/SATA DVD drive coming from Tiger Direct. I just really want to figure this thing out.