• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Exzackly

Lurker
Apr 27, 2014
So many people use their phones to listen to music while exercising. I cycle a lot on the local greenways and as I pass a runner, walker, or cycler many of them wearing earphones jump because they are startled (a bike bell is useless if you're jamn' to Metallica). Seems like there should be a simple way for the phone to notice/recognize another phone getting close and signal the phones owner. They would know someone is coming from behind them. This would increase safety and I'm sure an app as such would have other uses.

Just sayn'

The phone doesn't put out enough energy in any detectable way to make it feasible. (Bluetooth would be about the only way, and detecting a cyclist from 5 or 6 feet behind you wouldn't give you much warning time.) And the cyclist would have to have Bluetooth enabled, and the runner would have to have an app that would detect a nearby Bluetooth device. If runners are running close together, they'll constantly detect each other.

A cycle helmet with a rear view mirror (for the runner), or maybe a mirror mountable on glasses or sunglassses) would solve the problem. Or separate lanes for running and cycling.

Upvote 0
I actually registered just so I could participate in this topic :D

I understand the frustration but as Rukbat stated a phone doesn't transmit any detectable signal. But that got me thinking and thought of 2 ways that issue could be partially overcome. So bear with me, these are just ideas, no idea if they could actually work.

My first thought was internet. The newer phones got an option that you could share your internet (3G/4G/wi-fi/etc) like a router of some sort. That signal could actually be picked up by other phones. The closer you are the stronger the signal. Of course there are still some issues with all phones got different signal strength and how do you locate if that phone is in front of you or behind you. But hey, it's an idea.

Second is, GPS. Just create an app that registers where all it's users is and warn user1 when user2 is coming closer fast. Also with this one there are some issues; anyone not having this installed won't be registered so won't be seen. GPS isn't always that accurate yet, but is improving. This could become really messy with people in a zoo or traffic when everyone is next to eachother ;)

That's what I wanted to share. Just some ideas :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones