1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Ideal travel app needed!

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by wryta, Oct 4, 2011.

1. wryta

wryta Lurker
    None

Oct 4, 2011
    Writer/director
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hi - just introducing myself here to get past the "no links or images" barrier...

Advertisement

2. wryta

wryta Lurker
    None

Oct 4, 2011
    Writer/director
    Auckland, New Zealand
    In ten days' time, I'll be in Nanchang, China for two weeks. I want an app that will let me record notes, with video and photos, all geotagged, and provide active maps of the local area. Currently, I can make do with a combo of apps I already have Catch, MapDroyd (although the maps are frustratingly 80% Chinese), VoiceTranslator (pretty cool - apart from the obvious local Q and A solution, I can painstakingly use it to translate the text in MapDroyd!).

However, it would be nice to have one App that does the lot, where at the end of my trip I won't have to trawl through my phone collating all the memos and pics and daily logs scattered through different apps.
    Okay, here's my wishlist for a dream "travel log" app, and I'm hoping someone out there already knows where it is...

Free (or close to free!)
    Offline. I don't want to be paying data in China.
    Uploadable. I'm not interested in going online in China (I have ample GB's worth of SD storage ) but it would be nice to be able to upload to Google Earth or something similar for my kids to see on my return to a desktop.

I await with bated breath!

3. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    Near your request is Maverick :)
    But without video saving and voice translator.

Free maps (Open Street Maps) are automatically preloaded on the SD card when you look up the area on the phone's screen.
    But not like MapDroyd, maps aren't compact vector's, they are tiles and for a big area you will need some time to download it all.
    EDIT: In my home area the quality of the maps is far better than the MapDroyd's maps ... maybe in China it's the same ;)

Harry