1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Ideas for reducing grain and banding on screen, please.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ergalthema, Dec 28, 2011.

1. ergalthema

ergalthema Well-Known Member

There are many posts about the grain and vertical banding that apparently is visible on GH's pentile screen. Some people say turning up the brightness past 50% helps. I'm wondering if there are any apps that might do auto-brightness at higher levels, or if there are any other suggestions for reducing the pentile texture.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jbdan

jbdan Extreme Android User

I only see the grain when below ~30% and am on a white screen (the web or sms). Banding is different and has more to do with the source aka color bit depth of the wallpaper/video/picture. You'll see through experimentation which wallpapers have a higher bit depth. I can make any phone/screen tech color band including my H-IPS PC monitor.

So, use a super inky black wallpaper, or use a higher brightness setting for the grain. For the banding, find which papers work best for you. I'm finding almost all the ones on interfacelift.com and deviant art to be superb with no banding.

gl! :)

3. ZachMob

ZachMob Well-Known Member

I just stop thinking about it and use my phone, and the screen issues stopped bothering me. Pretend that white is papyrus and gray is a cool gun metal texture.

Brightness helps, but then you sacrifice battery life especially on white colors. Auto brightness for me makes the defects more noticeable because your eyes don't get adjusted to the lower brightness settings. YMMV

There isn't going to be a magic cure for fixing the pentile screen. Just learn to live with it or get a Rezound if it is too bothersome.

4. ergalthema

ergalthema Well-Known Member

Now that I manually pushed the brightness up past 50%, I think the screen is beautiful. On auto, the grain was significant and disappointing.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews