• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Idiot's guide for someone who's rooted but doesn't know what to do next?

OldHooky

Dec 25, 2009
I rooted successfully and easily thanks to SURoot's guide.

I am now stuck on what to do next. I rooted for two reasons: to create extra space, and to load Gingerbread.

Can someone point me in the direction of a guide which will explain what I need to do after rooting to get Gingerbread on my phone? It came from Vodafone so may need next an extra step or two.

Thanks in advance

You need to look at the "how do I flash a custom ROM?" section of the rooting guide. The XDA link in that section will give links to many ROMs.

If you are intending to use a2sd+ to get more space, then read the root memory guide as well.

The only difference that it being a voda handset makes is that a goldcard is recommended as a precaution (in case you ever need to run a non-Vodafone RUU). It makes no difference to flashing a ROM.

Upvote 0
Thank you both. I think the problem was not seeing an specific guide and getting a little lost. Does your root memory FAQ and Rooting FAQ recommend what I should do, rather than infinite options? There are so many ROM options...

If I make a Goldcard using the card I have in my phone, will I lose all the data on it?

Thanks

Upvote 0
About picking a ROM, there are a few options.
You won't know for sure till you try em.

Use another Launcher and don't care for sense? Get an ASOP ROM. Fast, good battery, generally well liked.
Redux is the one I tried, nice and fast, good battery too.

Want an upgraded sense?
Try a hybrid sense 3.0 I think it is. On ROM's such as Insert Coin.

Want your normal sense but with A2SD? Try Leedroid.

Like the Iphone look?
Take a look at Miui.

Personally I use Miui with Golauncher.

I hope that helps you.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I recently rooted my HTC Desire with Unrevoked 3 which has ClockworkMod Recovery 2.5.#.#. My main reason for rooting was to give me more space for apps as my internal memory was constantly low.

Today I partitioned my SD card to a 14GB FAT 32 partition and a 950MB ext 3 partition, but when I put the memory card back into my phone it will not even register that there is an SD card inserted, I can't access the SD card at all.

The SD card will still work in my laptop through a card reader and I can both read and write from it. Does anyone know why it would do this and how I can go about fixing it?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, I wasn't sure where to ask and didn't want to open a completely new thread,
Thank You,
Sarah

Upvote 0
Hi,
I recently rooted my HTC Desire with Unrevoked 3 which has ClockworkMod Recovery 2.5.#.#. My main reason for rooting was to give me more space for apps as my internal memory was constantly low.

Today I partitioned my SD card to a 14GB FAT 32 partition and a 950MB ext 3 partition, but when I put the memory card back into my phone it will not even register that there is an SD card inserted, I can't access the SD card at all.

The SD card will still work in my laptop through a card reader and I can both read and write from it. Does anyone know why it would do this and how I can go about fixing it?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, I wasn't sure where to ask and didn't want to open a completely new thread,
Thank You,
Sarah

You didnt mention if you are on a custom rom. Only the custom roms have a2sd+ support. Once you have custom roms the procedure is painless. You partition the card and reboot.

If you have partitioned with gparted then again check in recovery if gparted is able to 'correctly see' both the partitions. I assume you have partitioned using gparted.

Read about a2sd+ in the rooting sticky.

Upvote 0
SUroot: Yes the fat 32 partition is the primary and the ext 3 partition come directly after it.

handy5876: I haven't got a custom ROM on at the moment, but I tried to do some research and I thought the ClockworkMod Recovery I had would allow the App2SD+ facility...maybe I am getting confused with something else.
I used a program called MiniTool Partition Wizard for Windows to partition the SD Card.

So if I install a ROM, such as Cyanogen Mod, it should work? I don't understand why it didn't just pick up the FAT 32 partition in my phone after I partitioned the card though, as a custom ROM should only provide the ability to access the ext 3 partition.

I have just removed the ext 3 partition that I created and brought the SD card back to its original size and my phone is reading it again so I don't belive it is anything to do with the partitioning program I am using.

Sorry about this I am very new to rooting.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
CM7 doesn't come with a2sd+ built in. The first (or second?) post of the XDA thread has links to a couple of options if you want it, but it's an extra install.

Personally I installed DarkTremor, as I'm familiar with that, but it's probably simplest to use one of the 2 recommended solutions.

Edit: P.S. Another recommendation for GParted. Ext3 is a linux format, Android is Linux based, and GParted is a linux tool. It's simply the most reliable solution.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones